What's new

Rasurpur Komisuri

Hi!
i am new to this forum and kamisoris! I have been using a hart steel straight for a year and I am happy with the results. However, I have discovered kamisoris and find them fascinating in their simple beauty without the hassle of drying scales, rusting scale/blade connection and scalpel like handle (I work as a doctor, so this is appealing).

When end looking for a site to buy one, I came across this site selling German made kamisori styled razors but could not find any reviews. Seem to be made of hard ball bearing steel hand made to 64 Rockwell hardness.

http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/rpkami/

So I was wondering if someone had any experience with the quality or could be able to recommend these based on the description?

I like that they have larger handles due to having XL sized hands myself. I also considered buying the symmetrical western grind type, because I have read the Japanese grind traditionally was intended for a second person shaving you, and not ideal for shaving oneself given optimally using only the one side. Unless you say otherwise?

i already have extensive honing equipment from an interest I jap kitchen knives as well.

thanks!

I don't have any experience with this particular razor or brand, but from reading it, it does look impressive. They keep the original design of the kamisori and they come in different options, including the symmetrical grind. I have both a symmetrical grind kamisori and a couple of traditional grind and the traditional grind does have a huge learning curve if you wanted to shave the other side of your face with the same hand. I just use the wrong side of the blade on the other side of my face and it works okay, but if you have a symmetrical grind, it wouldn't matter. I enjoy using a kamisori as a handle on a straight razor is just one more thing to get in the way of a shave. there is a problem in storage because the blade is left exposed between shaves. Price wise, the Rasurpur is no more expensive than finding a quality NOS kamisori on ebay and so I say go for it and let the rest of us know of your experience.

Thanks! Would you recommend the symmetrical or asymmetrical grind?

I am left handed and so it was slightly harder to get used to the asymetrical grind (although I use kitchen knives with my right hand and so asymmetrical Japanese kitchen knives are not a problem for me). If given the choice, I would go with symmetrical grind for now. If you end up liking it and want to try a challenge then you can think of asymmetrical grind, which will open up the option of NOS Japanese kamisori (or sticking with the rasurpur).

Thanks again! How would you say the kamisori compares to the straight razor in terms of longevity/wearing out? One of my main irritations is the concern of rust and damage to screws etc, as well as wearing down from honing chipping etc. further I will use the blade to shave my head as well and was wondering how the kamisori would perform. Do you by chance have any opinion on that?

There is no reason you can't shave on both sides of an asymmetrical grind. I do it all the time on my traditional kami. The shaving angle changes a bit from side to side, but there's no reason not to.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You are absolutely correct, it is a matter of personal preference vs history.

I have searched for a while for documentation on the "use only one side" theory of kamisori. If you have any info other than what Jim Rion's neighborhood barber told him that would be great. The debate has gone on for years without any info to prove or disprove that kamisori were intended to be used on one side only.

Pics or it didn't happen. Where's the evidence of this "tradition"? A couple a dudes' heartfelt belief on the inter webs doesn't cut it, so to speak. But it does get passed around like lore pretty often.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would be hard pressed to call it a theory when in fact it is the traditional use of the blade. I also find it funny that the debate is a western debate, rather than a historical Japanese debate. I'll bet that there are any number of sketches, painting, drawing of Monks shaving each other that would show its original use. The other aspect to consider is that the "tradition" has been passed down for generations; so why do we need 500 year old written documentation regarding keeping the Omote side against the skin? Users are going to do what is comfortable and traditionalists will always keep the Omote flat regardless. IMHO

Just show me something from a Japanese source that says "日本剃刀を使う時は必ず裏を外側に向けて使ってください。" or similar.

And I agree it is funny that the debate is in the Western Hemisphere since Japanese Barbers who have been in business for generations also use two sides. It is because of that revelation that made me want to find more info into this single sided use. It very well may be that it is a traditional thing but I still am searching for something more than Western kamisori users saying one must use only one side.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My apologies to the OP for derailing his thread!!

That razor looks pretty, but I would defintely go with the traditional grind as it gives it a different feel than a symmetrical grind. I have both and much prefer the latter.

I don't think that kamisori is a traditional bi-metal construction either so you won't have the issues of the rapidly disappearing spines Japanese vintages have. You also might be able to do away with honing ratios as well since both sides will wear the same as you hone.

I have a symmetrical grind Rasurpur kamisori. Very pleased with the razor it came truly shave ready, it takes and holds a good edge. Easy to maneuver too. It is not hollow ground so it doesn't make allot of music while it shaves. I also found their customer service to be good too.

Thanks! Does that mean it is wedge ground? It looked slightly hollow on the pictures at the webshop.

When I look at the design of the original/traditional Kamisori, I can see that the angles are not symmetrical. I then have to ask myself, "why is this?" It is not by accident, it is by design.

When I look at the design of the original/traditional Kamisori, I can see that the angles are not symmetrical. I then have to ask myself, "why is this?" It is not by accident, it is by design.
This may be true, but doesn't dictate that only one side be used, historically or today. Why not one side N/S, the other S/N? Or WTG/ATG side changes?

Of course the razor will shave on either side, and I do not begrudge anyone using it in any manner that they want to. To this day, they make right handed as well as well as left handed Kamisori razors. In fact I am thinking of getting one as it would be the optimal way for me to get the best shave using a Kami keeping the Omote against the skin without having to learn a bunch of new technique. But then again I would have to shave with, and strop, two razors after each shave.

I am not an expert on Japanese history, nor did I extensively research this as [MENTION=34276]Kentos[/MENTION] has done. I simply look at the design and see that it is fitting for it to be used with Omote against the skin just as the Kata-Ha ground Japanese knife comes in both left and right handed versions in order to be used in a particular manner. It just plain seems fitting to me.

To the OP, I would suggest that you go to http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/268919-Kamisori-Korner to learn everything you can about this type of razor. You will soon learn that there are various trains of thought regarding Omote against the face, etc. If you are thinking of going with a traditional Japanese Kamisori style, they still are available new. If you are thinking of a symmetrical ground one, then the source that you found should work just fine. [MENTION=34276]Kentos[/MENTION] has done a great job pulling this information together for us all.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Of course the razor will shave on either side, and I do not begrudge anyone using it in any manner that they want to. To this day, they make right handed as well as well as left handed Kamisori razors. In fact I am thinking of getting one as it would be the optimal way for me to get the best shave using a Kami keeping the Omote against the skin without having to learn a bunch of new technique. But then again I would have to shave with, and strop, two razors after each shave.

I am not an expert on Japanese history, nor did I extensively research this as @Kentos has done. I simply look at the design and see that it is fitting for it to be used with Omote against the skin just as the Kata-Ha ground Japanese knife comes in both left and right handed versions in order to be used in a particular manner. It just plain seems fitting to me.

I agree that by looking profile one could make the argument you do. Personally I think the shape of the razor has more to do with the method of manufacturing the thing from 2 metals and scraping the hollows into the blade vs. grinding them in.

I did find a wood block print of a woman shaving a child's head with a Kamisori, however it was the older type of razor and didn't relate to what we are discussing.

Top Bottom