What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

I haven't bought any AOS gear, it just hasn't interested me. Their markups on non AOS products seem quite high on their website, and honestly I'd rather give my business to vendors such as Maggard, West Coast, and others in the community rather than line the pockets of P&G. If AOS are to be the only vendor of the new Gilette DE, then I expect it to be overpriced as well. I'd rather try and find a vintage Gilette, and clean it up or have it professionally redone. I was thinking a slim adjustable. Until I find one, I'll be sticking with my Merkur 38c.

Assuming that this razor is Gillette re-entry into the DE market it doesn't impress me one bit.

However, because Gillette is so huge all they would have to do is flood the consumer market with this razor ,and some DE blades, to reclaim a market that once was all theirs. After all when was the last time you could buy a DE razor in a grocery store or drugstore??

Van der Hagen has entered that market at Targets, Walmarts, Walgreen's and I think even Fry's/Krogers. That said, it is nowhere near as strong distributed as Gillette DEs would be but they are there. Also Micro Touch is there through the as seen on TV stuff at Walmart, Walgreens and I think Fry's (though that might be just the Max and Tough Blade.)

That said, this looks like the Yuma razor I got, that one gave bad shaves and a lot of cuts due to a high blade exposure.

Van der Hagen has entered that market at Targets, Walmarts, Walgreen's and I think even Fry's/Krogers. That said, it is nowhere near as strong distributed as Gillette DEs would be but they are there.
I'm now seeing most of the VdH line, including blades and badger brush (but not razor) at my local Shop-Rite supermarket.

proxy.php

Ok found it. It looked like a fat handle tech.

Didnt tak'em too long. I guess the blade advantage economy is in for a shake up............

I'm not sure what to think about this. I will remain optimistic, but they could still mess something as simple as this up.

I just stopped into my local AoS and he knew nothing about a new DE. He said on their most recent telecon they mentioned a new razor that was supposed to have a spring release was pushed to the fall based on some type of blade rework issue. But he didn't know if that was a cartridge or DE. My store knows nothing, as usual.

In another thread, Tony said his store told him they were releasing a LE Fatboy this summer.

I think the thing that has me the most interested is, if Gillette releases a DE razor in the near future, what are they going to charge for something that more than likely is not made in the US and is a copy of a vintage razor that we can pick up for under $20 all day long on the 'bay.

Sure, it will be a 'brand new' razor. If it is just a copy of the Tech in new packaging, would it really be worth the $50+ or so I imagine they will charge for it, especially if it is sold through the AoS stores.

I think the thing that has me the most interested is, if Gillette releases a DE razor in the near future, what are they going to charge for something that more than likely is not made in the US and is a copy of a vintage razor that we can pick up for under $20 all day long on the 'bay.

Sure, it will be a 'brand new' razor. If it is just a copy of the Tech in new packaging, would it really be worth the $50+ or so I imagine they will charge for it, especially if it is sold through the AoS stores.

There are a lot of guys who refuse to use "used" razors. And if Gillette came out with an actual nickel coated brass copy of the tech - heck - I'll buy two of them. And I have a lot of vintage Gillette razors which I use.

If it's chrome plated Zamak though, I will most likely pass....

-jim

I believe it. I'm surprised it took this long. They saw a market and bought aos than sold merkurs and other brands. They have deep pockets why pay merkur and others when they can make more margin themselves.
Just to clarify ... Gillette did not buy AoS.

AoS was merged into the P&G corporate structure, it was not a straight buyout.

That makes Gillette and AoS sibling companies, not parent and child.

An analogy would be Buick and Chevrolet are both part of General Motors.

If Gillette does produce a new, metal DE razor, I suspect that it will use a proprietary blade, available exclusively from you-know-who at exhorbitant prices. I'm guessing that the new blades will retail for about $2.50 a pop, and compared to $4 cartridges it will seem like a real bargain.

If Gillette does produce a new, metal DE razor, I suspect that it will use a proprietary blade, available exclusively from you-know-who at exhorbitant prices. I'm guessing that the new blades will retail for about $2.50 a pop, and compared to $4 cartridges it will seem like a real bargain.

Good observation.

Top Bottom