What's new

My Guess... 3017

An update on my progress with the DRH Arlington puck. Weighed it today and it's down to 40g. In the last ten shaves I was averaging 1.4g/shave. Based on that average I should have about 28 shaves left.

It's honestly very encouraging to see visual progress of working through a puck and knowing that you'll actually finish a product. Before 3017ing it was a bit demoralizing buying another soap knowing that it would take several years to finish what I already had. Even using the same soap for a week at a time didn't really give any visual indication of usage.

Well I had my second victim today. And my first soap to bite the dust.

Used it for about 5 weeks. And to be honest this is just a middle of the road performer. I don't get all the hype behind razorock. Yes they are cheap but there are so many better products out there. If I'm going to buy another puck of razorock it better be an amazing scent.
proxy.php

Agreed. The soaps are decent but nothing extraordinary and definitely not in my top tier. I do enjoy the For Chicago scent and will probably use it in the springtime.

I will say I have a jar of the RR Santa Maria which is quite good but at $20 the typical RR cost point is moot.

So I call mini PIF!

I'm in, thank you for the opportunity!

Finished Tabac on 2016/01/06. Took me a month of playing to find my next project due to skin reactions. TOBS Sandalwood cream, eShave Orange Sandalwood cream and NY Shaving Co Elizabethan all gave me problems. I spent a few shaves with AoS tallow for a sanity check. Started Nancy Boy in Signature scent on 2016/02/05 and initially had some dry skin despite the creamy leather. I think it was my face wash because I ran out of Nivea moisturizing wash as I started the NB. Last two shaves have been good after using a different wash. NB is giving thick, creamy lather. Possibly not as protective as Tabac or AoS(t) but feels slicker than Tabac.

After getting a couple of suggestions to bin this artisan Bathhouse Soapery puck because I wasn't liking the slickness, I thought back to how much better I like the soap in November when I first started vs now and thinking about what had changed. I realized in that time I had switched to the plissoft brush (which I really like.) So I went back to a WD boar brush and had a much better shave today. No preshave oil needed. I also generate my lather completely different with the boar than I do with the plissoft. I keep the plissoft dry and wet the puck to load, vs wetting and squeezing the boar and then swirling a dry puck.

While I like the plissoft brush, I just think there is something about my lather technique + plissoft + this soap that is not working. I am not blaming the brush, just my technique with it and this particular soap.

I had a similar experience with Stirling. I could get equally good lathers with my sythetics than with my omega boar, but finding the water-soap ratio was much easier with my Omega boar. This hasn't happened with any other soap, as I usually prefer my synthetics. If the boar works for you with this soap, then go with the boar.

Starting tomorrow, I will be using a puck of Stirling Tuscany. It currently has about 15 shaves on it. The soap has an interesting and pleasant scent, however, I am trying to make room for some new soaps.

I've been working through The Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe since the first of the month. I'm not terribly thrilled with it, but it's not going in the bin just yet.

brucered

System Generated
Still plugging away with Haslinger Honig and my RR Synthetic. Having those two as staples, has allowed me to play with razors.

I've settled on the Tech as my go-to and never get a bad shave. WTG, ATG (on neck) and then XTG on cheeks and I get a near BBS every time with no issues using an Astra.

Software is of little to no interest at me at this point, my Blue Soap dish is much more enjoyable to load in then an OS mug. I'm not sure if the 3017 dish is still in the works, but I'm loosing a bit of interest in that already too.

I'm not sure if the 3017 dish is still in the works, but I'm loosing a bit of interest in that already too.

Don't want your famous blue bowl's little sister!? :lol:

I know the last update was that prototypes had been developed. I for one am patiently waiting, as the only other thing that has remotely piqued my interest is the upcoming Fine AB soap.

brucered

System Generated
[MENTION=85180]domzals1[/MENTION] I'm sure my interest will pick up again and hope the dish still comes to market.

The Plissoft transplated into Shavemac handle by Rudy Vey came in yesterday. Rudy did an excellent job keeping the knot exactly the same and it's much more comfortable with the 173 handle. Face lathering the cream was quite easy today and I had another great two pass shave.

Down to 40g (including tube and cap) of the Nivea Sensitive cream. Guessing it's out within a week.

I don't think I've purchased any software yet this year, and haven't for a while. Trying to avoid it until I actually start to run low which shouldn't be until close to the end of the year.

For razors, I traded for an ATT M1 a few weeks ago and that's been my daily driver ever since. It's mild yet efficient and kind to my sensitive skin. Slightly better than my Weber which has been my #1 for two years.

Still on the wait list for the Wolfman...since June. Also on the list for a Varlet beehive. Otherwise I'm not really tempted by any other shaving stuff.

Finished off the AoS tallow sandalwood this morning, and kinda hate to see it go...last shave was just as good as the first, which is to say it was fantastic.

On to a puck of Pen's Blenheim Bouquet tallow I've had for quite a while, now.

Haslinger soon, brucered, I promise!

brucered

System Generated
[MENTION=43184]beeranon[/MENTION] I look forward to how you compare it to your other 3017'd soaps.

RV holds it in high regard too and has said something along the lines of "it's the closest modern soap to the vintage tallow ones".

[MENTION=58407]Jarick[/MENTION] - glad the ATT M1 is working out for you. I'll be curious to see how it compares to a Wolfman for you.

I regret not trying the M1 or S1. I was so determined that open combs looked cooler that I went through R2, S2, and H2 plates.

I eventually saw the light that my face and/or poor technique needed something milder. I've been playing with various Techs, and settled on a pre-war Tech for a while now.

I also read RV's comment that it was the best modern made tallow soap. I have used a vintage bowl of tallow Yardley & have two more sealed in storage yet to be used as I really fell for it. The Haslinger, imo, is right there with vintage tallow soaps. I just don't think people (on some other forums) get it or will admit to it which is hard to do when their sitting on 25 plus pucks of this or that hyped soap. The Haslinger pucks are small, presented simply (thank God), and lack modern artisan gigolo scents and labels and donkey milk. Thank goodness.

My first post in this thread.

I recently finished my first, and probably my last, start to finish exclusive.

Valobra fern in the bowl.

$29.95 from Bullgoose.

Started on January the first.
Completed on February the ninth.

40 wonderful shaves. Way less than I expected by far.

Just close enough to call it $0.75 per shave here.

I have another Valobra fern, but after using it nonstop for so long it may be a while before I revisit it.

For me variety is part of the enjoyment I get from wet shaving. So, while I'm impressed with this thread, I am not planning on having much more constructive input in it.

Some context for my first exclusive.
I shower shave and face lather. I have hard water. I rinse my soap after I shave. I leave my soap open on my sink when not in use to air dry. I load heavier than I thought. I'm happy with the 40 shaves I did get from this wonderful tallow soap.

I think I could easily have gotten 50% more shaves from it loading less product without any noticeable change in the experience. I rinsed tons of lather out of my brush every day and probably a few good shaves worth down the drain by habitually rinsing the puck after use too.

At 100 grams I loaded an average of 2.5 grams of this relatively hard soap per shave.

[MENTION=33552]bakerbarber[/MENTION] do you typically go through soaps pretty fast? I've owned a tub of Valobra Fougere and AoS Sandalwood tallow (made by Valobra) and barely scratch 1g/shave on those. They're triple-milled and you don't need much to get them going.

The Plissoft transplated into Shavemac handle by Rudy Vey came in yesterday. Rudy did an excellent job keeping the knot exactly the same and it's much more comfortable with the 173 handle. Face lathering the cream was quite easy today and I had another great two pass shave.

Down to 40g (including tube and cap) of the Nivea Sensitive cream. Guessing it's out within a week.

I don't think I've purchased any software yet this year, and haven't for a while. Trying to avoid it until I actually start to run low which shouldn't be until close to the end of the year.

For razors, I traded for an ATT M1 a few weeks ago and that's been my daily driver ever since. It's mild yet efficient and kind to my sensitive skin. Slightly better than my Weber which has been my #1 for two years.

Still on the wait list for the Wolfman...since June. Also on the list for a Varlet beehive. Otherwise I'm not really tempted by any other shaving stuff.
I think it will be worth the wait. I've been getting some great shaves out of mine.

So I won a PIF awhile back (Thanks brucered) and in it was Haslinger Coconut, I have used it about 5 times already and know I really enjoy this soap. So it is my next 3017 victim. I will start with this tomorrow. I know this is going to better than the razorock I just finished and I cant wait for the great shaves to come.

Now I need to find a good place to purchase more haslinger. What are the sites some of use that import them to get a great deal?

So I won a PIF awhile back (Thanks brucered) and in it was Haslinger Coconut, I have used it about 5 times already and know I really enjoy this soap. So it is my next 3017 victim. I will start with this tomorrow. I know this is going to better than the razorock I just finished and I cant wait for the great shaves to come.

Now I need to find a good place to purchase more haslinger. What are the sites some of use that import them to get a great deal?

There is only one answer - www.tvbshaving.com. About $4 a puck plus shipping. I got 3 pucks awhile back for $15 shipped. Use code B&B10​ for 10% off.

TVB shaving out of Slovenia on the Italian border. Great prices when you bring 7-8 pucks in. Takes about 10 days. Also Gifts and Care, Shavemac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom