What's new

Looking for High Quality, Mild, and efficient

Well, I have been using my ATT slant S2, but I been getting some razor burn, I think it's my blades, and my technique. I'm going to hang it up for a while, but I would like something high quality and mild, but efficient. Is that crazy talk? LOL

Have you tried the S1? I used the M1 and M2 as well as the R1 and R2. Some love the OC plates, but I just did not get along with them and found them to be very uncomfortable relative to the safety bar equivalent. If that's not an option, have you tried any vintage Gillettes? I'd love to take a New or Tech for a spin myself.

Try a Merkur 34c. It is one of the largest selling razors in the world for a reason. It's very good. Cost around $40.00

$Merkur LaToja.jpg

I moved from the S2 to a pre-war Gillette Tech (the one with triangle slots). I'm convinced my technique must be lacking, but the pre-war Tech seems to allow me to muddle through without irritation or weepers.

Delta Echo Razor Works has some really classy looking ones, or you can pick one up on eBay, Etsy, etc. for a lot cheaper just to see if you like it.

I've been using the Merkur Futur and find it as efficient as the ATT H2, but it seems smoother to me. That's even at its highest setting. Also, the angle is much different than the ATT. I have to hold the handle more parallel to my face with the Futur.

ATT S2, Gillette Slim, Gillette BB, Merkur futur, EJ 89.

The Slim is the only one that does the job while not burning me.. The ATT was perfect up until last week, I don't what the heck is going on but I just can't get a good shave out of it save my life!

That looks good, or claim to be good, it's kind of plain. Have you use it? They have the black in stock.

So far the Slim is the only razor that will give me an incredible shave no matter the blade without irritation. I was hoping to find another Razor that felt as good at the ATT Colossus..

Two thoughts.

If you're open to another adjustable razor to complement the shaves you get from your Slim, I'd suggest a Progress, probably a long handled one. Efficient, moderately aggressive shaver. I preferred it over the Slim, though YMMV. In the "mild, but efficient" category I have heard good things about the Feather AS-D2, though haven't personally tried one. It is quite a bit pricier than a Progress.

It sounds like you have a good stable of aggressive and non-aggressive razors to choose from, and there's something about the Slim, but not the others, that seems to be working well for you. That suggests a technique issue - maybe blade angle or more likely excess pressure. It would explain why the shaves from your ATT are off all of the sudden.

I have the H2, S2, Muhle R41, FaTip, two Gillette Old Types (thin and thick caps), two Gillette News (long and short combs), Slim and 34C. You may want to consider a New--to me, it's smooth yet fairly efficient. I can get a better shave with a New than my Slim.

Based on the R2, the S2 should actually be pretty aggressive on the scale ... around 6.5 out of 10??
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

By reputation, I'd think I'd recommend any of these (in order from most to least aggressive):

• ATT S1 (some people find solid bar models feel less aggressive)
  • Wolfman (unpolled, but by reputation sounds like it might be a bit less aggressive than the R1 ... perhaps someone else can chime in from experience?)
  • LASSCo BBS-1 (currently unpolled, but as it has a neutral blade exposure (0 mm by design specs) it seems likely to be less aggressive than your S2)
  • ATT M2
  • ATT M1
  • Feather AS-D2 (despite being very mild, many still find it remarkably efficient)

If you purchased your S2 and are still in your 30 day period, you might consider swapping your S2 for for an M2 or M1?

Otherwise, all of these are top quality razors, that should be more mild, and still efficient. Any should make an excellent choice.

Cheers,
Shawn

Did you consider getting an ATT M2? I have both, and I found the M2 very mild, especially when using a shallow angle (handle away from the face). You may also have a bum blade. Try another one or get some Polsilver SIs.

That looks good, or claim to be good, it's kind of plain. Have you use it? They have the black in stock.

Interesting. I thought all stock was gone. I've had it for a few months now, back when it was offered at a pretty large discount in a subscription box. I use it somewhat regularly, though I have an affinity for closed comb Merkurs, so my 23C gets more use. But overall, I think the aircraft aluminum in the Standard is a better material choice that will outlast the Zamak based Merkur.

Top Bottom