What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Gone Girl. A movie chock full of completely unlikeable characters. On purpose. An interesting story but after watching it you feel icky and want to take a shower.

American Sniper: Not quite what I was expecting, but an extremely well done movie. I really enjoyed this film

Chappie: The third film from Neill Blomkamp; District 9 was very good, Elysium was a hot mess and Chappie splits the two. All three movies are simplistic morality tales, but Chappie is more fun and less preachy. All the actors use their native accents; which is great with Hugh Jackman (playing a baddie against type) and the character "Hippo" whose accent is so thick he requires subtitles

Whiplash - I have mixed feelings on this movie. It's vey focused and if you like Jazz/drums, you'll probably enjoy it but it left some of the good type of filler out of the movie making it somewhat incomplete for me.

American Sniper: Not quite what I was expecting, but an extremely well done movie. I really enjoyed this film

Same here, very good movie and well done. Touching, too. I appreciate that the movie makes made the effort to depict the difficulty many have experienced once coming home and I think Bradley Cooper did a great job in his role.

Yesterday was a two-fer at my house:

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - A surprisingly good movie that had been recommended by several people

Interstellar - Highly rated and recommended. Liked it, but was left with a similar feeling as Contact which is an all time favorite of ours.

A couple of documentaries:

George Harrison: Living In The Material World - Though I don't put much stock in his faith/philosophies, I think this documentary did a excellent job in showing that Harrison was a very interesting man. He had a healthy cynicism and a matter-of-factness which I think I would value in a friend/acquaintance. Plus, in his later life he became a big ukulele fan and advocate!

Going Clear - A very revealing account on the cult of Scientology. Very interesting.

I watched "Jurassic World" yesterday. It's not nearly what the original "Jurassic Park" was but it was still very enjoyable.

I also watched "McFarland USA" this week. I didn't think I was really going to like this one but it was a decent movie with typical Disney storytelling, but enjoyable. I'm a sucker for sports movies.

Gone Girl.
Not good. I enjoyed the ride along the way, but it wasn't as twisty a plot as I expected. And I just hated the ending, if you can call it that.

Jurassic World.
Good. Lots of good action, but not many surprises. If you e seen Jurassic Park then you've seen the basic plot of Jurassic World. They even go out of their way to show you how similar it is to the first one, that was kinda sad. If you're a fan of the series it's good. I expected more, but it just wasn't original enough.

The Two Faces of January. 10/10. Suspenseful. Reminded me of Hitchcock's best films.

$two_faces_of_january_ver5.jpg

George Harrison - Living in the Material World
Very good documentary type movie by Martin Scorsese. Learned a lot about old George I didn't know. Shame to admit for a Beatles fan (2nd generation).

Top Bottom