What's new

Carts are not the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I still hate carts. They were hard on my neck, ingrown hairs, and razor burns. They clogged. They were expensive. I had very good techniques for shaving.
I will never wax poetically about the good old days of carts. Neither will my wife, and a few relatives and friends that have seen the light.
May cartridge razors die a slow and painful death.

:em2100: Pretty much THIS a hundred times...

Sorry OP, but if carts work for you, well.. good for you, but a lot of gents in here switched not because they wanted to be hip, rad, edgy, etc. they switched because carts were absolutely nasty to use... and I'm one of them.

They ARE the ennemy, they aren't 4-5 blades and such because it's a real breakthrough, it's to make them sound fancier.... a single blade can do just as well as 2,3,4,5 blades, actually better, more precision, etc.

It's not hate either, it's really that they do NOT work for many, but when that's all that you can get in local stores, you're stuck... so thanks to the internet, I was able to switch to DE, something that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

I tried dozens of brands, carts types, electric razors, and all of them were horrible to use... and with DE, it was almost overnight that I could finally shave without blood, rashes, cuts, pain, burns, etc.

Honestly, by the time I started using DE I already had used every technique possible with carts, and mastered DE shaving within two weeks.

What made me try DE was when I got a Schick carts with a single "precision" blade on the back, with which I started using for my whole face... and had for the first time, an actually good shave without the pain,rashes, burn, etc.

Yup... ditto...

The last cart I used was the Schick 3 +1 cart (the "1" being a single blade on the back for precision)... and I was using that single blade for my whole face after I found how much better and easier it was.

The only difference I found with the DE was getting used to the weight of the metal head, and realizing how different the pressure required was...

Sorry to the nay-sayers, but the carts require some amount of pressure otherwise they just glide over the hairs.. the light plastic just has no weight to them, and the multi-blades prevents being able to control the angle.

For the soap/brush thing... just after the first use of soap with a brush, I never wanted to bother with goop... it's like using lard compared to a butter cream cheese to ice a cake.

Changing razors WAS the cure. I used the same lack of technique when I switched to DE's. I didn't have a brush and I used the same barbasol canned shaving cream as when I shaved with carts and certainly didn't change technique. I just shaved, with the only difference being that I was using a DE razor. I took one stroke with the DE razor and proclaimed "HOLY ****" due to how smooth it was. I changed nothing in my routine and ingrowns and razor burn went away.
Yup... ditto...

The last cart I used was the Schick 3 +1 cart (the "1" being a single blade on the back for precision)... and I was using that single blade for my whole face after I found how much better and easier it was.

The only difference I found with the DE was getting used to the weight of the metal head, and realizing how different the pressure required was...

Sorry to the nay-sayers, but the carts require some amount of pressure otherwise they just glide over the hairs.. the light plastic just has no weight to them, and the multi-blades prevents being able to control the angle.

For the soap/brush thing... just after the first use of soap (even if it was a fairly poor one) with a brush, I never wanted to bother with goop... it's like using lard compared to a butter cream cheese to ice a cake.

Do they really do that though, or is it just marketing nonsense?
I have to believe that if theyre really pulling on each of my beard hairs I'd be feeling a great deal of discomfort from it. to me, it feels like its just cutting them, like anything else. what *I think* is happening, is each blade just cuts the hair a little further down, or in theory, gets the hair that the previous blade may have missed. I don't see how there can be any "pulling" at all. all the blades feel about equally sharp.

As a sales & marketing guy, I'll admit it may be BS lol. It does seem though that any blade scraping across your face will probably pull hairs at least to some extent. Of course a duller blade will pull even more. With a single blade it seems like the hair either gets cut immediately, pulled then cut or perhaps passed over. It seems like another blade following right behind a blade that's just pulled a hair out a bit might then cut it and the hair could end up below the surface of the skin. I do tend to wonder if the 1st blade is actually produced a bit more dull or if they're just all the same....because in mfg that probably would be less expensive.

I just know that when I used a multi-blade cart (I preferred Gillette as most Schicks felt like they were pulling my hairs) I would get a closer shave in 1 pass WTG then I get with even 2 passes of a DE razor. I find I need like 4 passes with a DE to match the shave from a multi blade cart.

I use a cart for head shaving. Other than that I switch from straights and DE's. I just don't trust myself with head shaving with a straight.

I would have to agree that a mirror is absolutely necessary for using a straight razor. I would only ever use carts if I shaved my head, which I don't...

Carts and technique are enemies.

I still try them from time to time. If it shaves close, it burns; I can't choose the appropriate angle of attack to protect my skin, so both hair and skin are planed away together. The non-pivoting ones make a little more sense, but I've never tried them. I have discovered, just the other day, that although I can't get a good shave out of Dollar General's Bic disposo-clones, they at least leave me unscathed. That would be my choice for emergency use.

I've found that since my technique improved I can use carts just fine. However I enjoy my DE razors so I use them instead. The money saving point of DE blades vs carts is a pointless one for me. I'm already so deep in with shaving gear that it'd take me a loooonnng time to even break even on the money I've spent. I don't care though. Shaving is more than utility now. It's a hobby I love. So for carts vs DE I say use whatever makes you happy. It's your face.

I've found that since my technique improved I can use carts just fine. However I enjoy my DE razors so I use them instead. The money saving point of DE blades vs carts is a pointless one for me. I'm already so deep in with shaving gear that it'd take me a loooonnng time to even break even on the money I've spent. I don't care though. Shaving is more than utility now. It's a hobby I love. So for carts vs DE I say use whatever makes you happy. It's your face.

:thumbup1:

I would say this thread has outlived its usefulness, but I'm not sure it had any to begin with. I wish I had followed my initial instincts and stayed out altogether. I don't see what is to be gained by trotting out this tired debate yet another time.

Unsubscribed.

The non-pivoting ones make a little more sense, but I've never tried them.
I think most here never tried the original fixed head, twin blade, design and just base their opinion on the Fusion and whatever multiblade carts.

That's like saying that DE blades suck because you don't like Feathers.

BTW, I just spotted 10 twin blades for 60 cents. Not going to argue quality, since I did not buy them, and YMMV and such.

But I challenge anyone to explain to me how 6 cents per cartridge is overpriced.

(For the Dutch here; they were in the Action in Hoog Catharijne)

I think most here never tried the original fixed head, twin blade, design and just base their opinion on the Fusion and whatever multiblade carts.

That's like saying that DE blades suck because you don't like Feathers.

BTW, I just spotted 10 twin blades for 60 cents. Not going to argue quality, since I did not buy them, and YMMV and such.

But I challenge anyone to explain to me how 6 cents per cartridge is overpriced.

(For the Dutch here; they were in the Action in Hoog Catharijne)

Here as well. I can find Trac's as low as a dime a blade, which is half the price or more of some of my DE blades.

What's the investment for the whole system, though? More on par with a new razor... for something we're pretty sure isn't going to work.

What's the investment for the whole system, though? More on par with a new razor... for something we're pretty sure isn't going to work.
Not more than the investment in a budget DE razor. I am deliberately not talking about the shave experience, since that is a YMMV thing. As you can read, the Trac razor works absolutely fine for various B&Bers (just do a search to see how many use a Trac as their travel razor).

But how is 6 cents per cartridge overpriced, when you compare it to the cost of DE or SE blades?

(I still use my original G2 handle as a travel razor, BTW. Just as sturdy as a good DE razor).

Last edited:
Well I'll be damned: I do already possess one of these, as part of a large zipper-case travel kit, and I never bothered to try it! Will update when I grow some stubble...

UPDATE: Interesting. The Trac-II type cartridge was indeed safe for my sensitive skin. Very surprisingly, too, because the drag and noise this thing presented was horrendous. Loud chuddering, white knuckles all the way, a real terror ATG. I know mine must be the absolute cheapest version, and several years old to boot, but I definitely got the idea.

This is just the Dollar General "sensitive" disposable with a second blade right behind the first, for double the traction. Trac-tion...Trac II... get it? Holding the two "blades" end-to-end in the same plane, the plastic cutting heads align to the same angle, and have the same general shape -- with a little flexing, the plastic cover from the disposo can be applied to the kit cartridge. The handles project differently, with the kit handle having a decidedly masculine altitude, while the disposos would reach an ankle easily.

Neither device relates to my well-developed DE technique AT ALL. The blades strike hair too high, repeatedly, baiting me to press blade to skin. Trying to pitch the blade just makes it chudder worse. The razor did zero work; I had to power through every whisker, despite not having a full day's growth and wasting the first lather on prep. (No oil, for fear of clogging.) It took four passes just to get the beard reduced, and that's all it can do; there is no finishing stroke, no hope of BBS at all. I get to the skin, and I stop, period.

At least it's safe to skew the disposo; with the twin blade, against so much resistance, I felt very much risk of twin razor whip. And that's why I give the nod to disposables. I don't need all that aggression; I don't miss hair. OK, so maybe ONE aspect of DE experience transferred here -- knowing my face was beneficial. No further comparison is applicable.

Last edited:
Well I'll be damned: I do already possess one of these, as part of a large zipper-case travel kit, and I never bothered to try it! Will update when I grow some stubble...
LOL! That's the spirit!

If you don't like it, at least you tried :wink2:

I think the Trac II is one of the more popular travel razors because it is virtually unbreakable, you can buy cartridges in any drugstore, and for many the shave with two blades is better than with three, four, or even more. Plus, many "old timers" still have a handle.

And most important; it is allowed as cabin baggage.

I would say this thread has outlived its usefulness, but I'm not sure it had any to begin with. I wish I had followed my initial instincts and stayed out altogether. I don't see what is to be gained by trotting out this tired debate yet another time.

Unsubscribed.

Dear Mr. Hustler,

The original post had nothing to do with a "debate" of one razor vs. another. It was an observation that poor technique is probably the biggest factor in a poor shave and that one should examine this first rather than trying to find a cure by simply switching equipment.

I can see where the thread title would confuse someone into thinking that it was a "pro-cartridge" post. And even if it was, it would be one person's OPINION, not a FACT.

It seems that ones preferred shaving equipment has now joined religion and politics as a taboo subject for discussion.:lol:

"Remember that in the end, it's not solving world hunger. It's just shaving!" - B&B Forum Rule #12

Dear Mr. Hustler,

The original post had nothing to do with a "debate" of one razor vs. another. It was an observation that poor technique is probably the biggest factor in a poor shave and that one should examine this first rather than trying to find a cure by simply switching equipment.

I can see where the thread title would confuse someone into thinking that it was a "pro-cartridge" post. And even if it was, it would be one person's OPINION, not a FACT.

It seems that ones preferred shaving equipment has now joined religion and politics as a taboo subject for discussion.:lol:

"Remember that in the end, it's not solving world hunger. It's just shaving!" - B&B Forum Rule #12

meh.. I just think it's irritating to have yet someone else go on about cartridges and state "they are great and if you don't think so, it's because you don't know how to use them right".

Many switched for a reason... let it die, move on.. if YOUR technique sucked, that's your problem, but don't come on as "anyone that doesn't like carts it's because you don't know how, "I" know better".

I shaved for over 20-30 years, tried EVERY technique, approach, switched from one cartridges to another, went electric, and then with a single blade/DE and even a shavette, no more issues, and figured the technique within a few shaves, so that fairly speaks for itself (about technique).

If I "mastered" DE in a few shaves, I'm pretty certain that I would have mastered carts during those 20-30 years.

It's arrogance and it ticks some off. For all we know the OP is a spokeperson for a cart. company.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
imfallen_angel et al, I think you guys might be reading too much into things. Just like with a DE, SE or straight, you can get a great shave from a cart. I did not say you will, only that you (the general "you") can. At least, I can and I'm an idiot who hasn't figured out honing after nearly three years at it.

I read nothing of arrogance or an attempt to belittle others in the posts saying that carts can (keyword "can") produce good results. Just like straights don't agree with some folks, I am sure that the same lies true for carts, or DEs, or SEs, or curry chicken, or hot sauce, etc...

Live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom