What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

I also forgot to add along with my takes I took a few samples that are available in the box. A Synergy pre-shave and a LA shaving soap sample.

For my contributions to the box.

#510 is a soap that has formula with quite a few scents. It's made by a company that is represented with a few tubs in the box and the formula is fantastic. It's one of my go to soaps as I have three of the scents in that formula. Lather is a breeze which to me is great for any newbies that might be in the pass around. I've never had a bad shave with this soap.

#511 I came across by accident a few years ago with only 6 months under my belt in the wetshaving world. Its scent is really powerful and is different from the normal rendition you find in most soaps and creams. It's ingredient list is very similar to MDC which is NEVER a bad thing! It also lathers the same and produces copious amounts of lather if you so desire! Hopefully someone will enjoy this one as much as I do.

Very nice choice. I loved lathering this one as well. Like David said, if it had a scent, other than a slight clay smell (to me YMMV), I would have snagged it in a second.

It was definitely a hard decision between a soap that had a great scent and the valobra. I've had good luck with scenting an old puck of vintage soap in the past, so I might just try the same with this.

Excellent pick, it was almost my choice.

Demaskee - Box Originated
.soap. - (11 - Beer Soap Brewing Co: Italian Bergamont & Patchouli, 50 - Strop Shoppe: Black Tie)
Dantheman - (60 - Strop Shoppe: Baker Street, 74 - Tabac, 248 - MWF)
dgreene120 - (3 - Baier Body Boutique: Fireside, 235 - St. Charles Shave: Fairway, 322 - PannaCreme: Nostalgia)
austinantihipster - (5 - RazoRock: Nervous Wreck, 300 - Klar)
InNae - (321 - Queen Charlotte Soaps: Iced Key Limes)
SilentTuba - (206 - Pyrate Cove: Mandarin, 238 - RazoRock: Captain's Choice Bay Rum, 333 - Tiki Soap: The Captain)
lobomalo72 - (30 - Mystic Water: Windjammer, 99 - Crabtree & Evelyn: Nomad pre-reformulation)
dfoulk - (75 - Cella, 236 - Sir Irisch Moos, 269 - T&H Sandalwood)
mbkintner - (201 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Coconut, 203 - RazoRock: Fine American Blend, 250 - MWF)
CJames - (Unspecified LA Shaving Soap dontation from John at LASS)
MrSmith - (Unnumbered LA Shaving Soap: Spring Street, 218 - Jabonman: Ylang Ylang Pachuli Naranja)
Waldo_Phill - (202 - Petal Pusher Fancies: Oakmoss & Sage, 499 - LA Shaving Soap: Bespoke)
SaintAndrewsAlumnus - (252 - Queen Charlotte Shave: Vostok, 330 - Wet Shave Obsession: Bill the barber)
justadivebum - (253 - Strop Shoppe: Peppermint, 310 - Dapper Dragon: Cinnamon Bun, 379 - Maggards: Orange Menthol)
AndroiDad75 - (204 - RazoRock: Cumba Cheech, 399 - Art of Shaving: Lemon)
bach_rocks - (320 - TOBS: Lavender, 340: Tabac, 501 Rustic Shaving Soap: Sandalwood)
shubes - (26 - HTGAM: Pumpkin 22/7, 322 - Haslinger Schafmilch, 502 Petal Pusher Fancies: Briar)
jpmess - (97 - Valobra: Unscented)
jhadsell1883 - On Deck
oteixiera
Brian G r a f s t r o m
pyro
mrlandpirate
calhoun1
Corsair66
Sploosh
tclobaugh
Demaskee

Ok gents,

My take from the box was a tough decision. Even though I do like a great scent. This soap won me over in lather and post shave feel. It's extremely easy to lather and just was a great soap to work with. It's another soap that is on my list to try but never pulled the trigger as I already have 8 soaps in my rotation and the wife eyeballs them daily. She just doesn't understand.....:tongue_sm

So my take was #97 Valobra unscented puck.

View attachment 521146

I'm so glad this soap made its way to a good home. I knew it would be a great soap for the right person. Funny, but I'm always delighted and honored when one of the distinguished gentlemen in the pass chooses one of my adds because I have so much respect for your knowledge, experience, and opinions.

Its a Thater 4125 size 1 and believe its a 2 band. I purchased it used from the BST about a year and half ago. It's the best brush I've ever used and is my daily driver. Since I bought it, I've purchased at least 6 brushes which consisted of simpsons, larger Thaters 3 bands, Semogue boars, Vie Long horse etc. and I always seem to circle back to this brush and sold off the others. It's incredibly soft with just the right amount of back bone.

I will say though, this brush is a shedder. It drops at least 2 hairs a shave. Even with this, I can't say enough good things about Thater brushes. The other larger thater I owned didn't shed a single hair in the year or so I owned it. I know I'm gushing about Thater, but if you haven't tried them? I urge you to. You won't be sorry you did.
Cool stuff. Thank you. I've been considering getting one more brush --- I'd like a really soft face-lathering badger; I figured Thater might fit the bill, but I'm not sure.

Oh, I am almost on deck. I have been reading a lot but not posting much. Lost my job in September, but got a new one right away. Funny thing is, when I worked from home (my old job), I shaved every day because I had time to enjoy it and feel good about myself. Now I have to drive 60 miles each way and I find I am shaving 2-3 time a week max...stupid commute. Anyway, I look forward to getting the box, because for the most part, you guys don't disappoint.

Orlando

I'm so glad this soap made its way to a good home. I knew it would be a great soap for the right person. Funny, but I'm always delighted and honored when one of the distinguished gentlemen in the pass chooses one of my adds because I have so much respect for your knowledge, experience, and opinions.

Everyone knew that was a great soap. I've talked to several people discussing what they planned to take in private messages and that one was almost taken by just about everyone I talked to. I have the same soap in the Cologne scent and it's excellent just like the old AOS tallow soaps that they used to make. It was a really nice addition and in a strange way I'm kind of sad it's not in the box anymore.

First up, #321

This is a soap that has been on my list to try! I'm really happy it was in the box. It's a cologne scent that has been around since the 60's. From what I know about the soap, it's seen many reformulations throughout the years and I'm not sure if this is a vintage puck or new.

The lather was decent, and felt pretty slick. The scent off the puck is really strong, which I liked, but the scent mellowed as I lathered. I palmed lathered and ended up with a slick lather that didn't blow me away but would shave with any day.

This is a vintage puck. Since #321 has already been used in this pass, would someone be kind enough to write "321A" on the container with a permanent marker to distinguish it from the earlier one marked "321"? Thanks.

This is a vintage puck. Since #321 has already been used in this pass, would someone be kind enough to write "321A" on the container with a permanent marker to distinguish it from the earlier one marked "321"? Thanks.

This soap was tough to pass up! I love the scent!

So the picks are in.

MrSmith (Michael) is going to receive:
Tiki Citrus Mint Blast
RazoRock Don Marco

dgreene120 (David) is getting:
RazoRock XX and the
RazoRock Son of Zeus

Congratulations to you both, I'll get the soaps out in tomorrow's mail.
Please do let me know when you receive them and maybe throw a review on here if you find one that you enjoy.

Finally got a chance to try out the RR Son of Zeus this morning. Sorry for the delay, but I've had the Gentlemanly Restraint Passaround Box and have been trying some things out from there and trying to get that moved along.

I used my Rudy Vey TGN Two-Band Finest and face lathered this soap. It lathered easily and performed really well, as I've come to expect from all RR soaps. What really impressed me though, was the scent. While I haven't become particularly well educated about fragrances yet, during my short time wet shaving, I have really come to enjoy some of the great and different scents that the soaps, creams and aftershaves offer. For me, the scent of the SoZ soap was just incredible. It was something more than just the really nice, but simple, scents that some of the other products offer (which I really do enjoy). I wish I could explain it better, but suffice it to say that I really enjoyed this soap and am very happy to have had the opportunity to try it out.

Thanks again to David for his generosity. It is great members like David who make B&B such an awesome community!

Going to miss this thread (and the entire forum)
all this week as I will be on a cruise. Looking
forward to coming back to lots of posts! :thumbup:

....For me, the scent of the SoZ soap was just incredible. It was something more than just the really nice, but simple, scents that some of the other products offer (which I really do enjoy). I wish I could explain it better.....

SoZ is a great performer but I've never cared for the scent. It is a heavy, musky, cologne scent that I just don't care for. I should have thrown it into the box as a "sample only" addition.

Last edited:
SoZ is a great performer but I've never cared for the scent. It is a heavy, musky, cologne scent that I just don't care for. I should have thrown it into the box a "sample only" addition.

Maybe just because I have so little experience with frags that anything different is of interest to me at this point! [emoji14]

Maybe just because I have so little experience with frags that anything different is of interest to me at this point! [emoji14]
No worries. You like what you like. I've never been a fan of musky cologne scents or floral woodsy scents. I like citrus, barbershop, and peppermint.... and others may not. There are plenty of choices out there to meet everyone's preference.

Right now I'm wearing "The Beach" aftershave. Can't decide if I like it or not.

No worries. You like what you like. I've never been a fan of musky cologne scents or floral woodsy scents. I like citrus, barbershop, and peppermint.... and others may not. There are plenty of choices out there to meet everyone's preference.
Excellent point. For example, I love the musky cologne scents and the floral woodsy scents. :)

There were some WSO (Wet Shave Obsession) soaps in the box a while back that were selected during the last round, had they been in the box during my turn I would have quickly chosen them.

I mentioned this in a post somewhere and MrSmith was extremely kind in sending me some WSO soap. It's one that I've wanted to try for quite a while but haven't had the opportunity to do so. The soap maker has suffered a serious illness in his family and has taken some time away, so this stuff is basically unobtainium now. He may start making it again but he's dropped off the map for about six months now so it's not looking good.

I'd like to share a review of this soap as well as some others that I have samples of on the way if you guys are interested in a few bonus reviews. Some may or may not be in the box now.

I'll add some of these bonus reviews over the next week or two if you guys are interested.

Not sure if Jhad has seen this but it requires action if you want it re-delievered vs going to the post office to pick it up

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9406203699300041851354

$Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 2.08.11 PM.png

Not sure if Jhad has seen this but it requires action if you want it re-delievered vs going to the post office to pick it up

Oh I saw it alright :001_huh: Checked the mail as soon as I got home at 5:40 and had already gotten the notice. Since I work out of town there is no way for me to get to the post office while they are open but I have an amazing wife who is going to stop on her way home.

I will be diving in and doing a sniff test to eliminate any possible offenders. I'm sure all the scents are great but some (including vetiver) don't pass the wife's approval. Hoping to end up with around 10 soaps to test. I should be able to post at least one lather pic later tonight. Thanks to Demaskee for getting this started and everyone else for their contributions to the box. I am looking forward to this.

Top Bottom