What's new

Superior 70 is my new favorite Bay Rum.

I found Superior 70 a few blocks from my office, thanks to the Walgreen's website. After failing to find it by the shaving stuff, I went wandering a bit and finally found it in the black hair care section. Right next to it was the last bottle of Murray & Lanman Florida water, so I grabbed it too.

The cashier lit up when I brought the Florida Water to the front. She said her mom always had it around the house, and she forgot that they sold it.

Anyway, I tried on the Superior 70 when I got home, and was very pleasantly surprised. Nice vaguely citrus notes at first, and plenty of the leafy green bay scent. It dries to a peppery spice with a good dose of cloves and some woody notes I can't quite place (cedar or sandalwood maybe?) It lasted about an hour for me. It's cheap ($4 for 300ml in NYC) and light enough I can imagine bathing in it.

It is a hard one to find. I know Amazon is a fail-safe if you don't have any Walgreens nearby that carry it. Amazon has Florida Water as well. Both are good and cheap splashes!

I actually live where they make the product. Here its used widely , a distillery makes it so they used to also produce rum. I mix my Superior 70 with old spice. Since i like strong alcohol on my aftershave, and old spice is too sweet for me 70%superior / 30%OS

I am a bay rum junkie and I went on a vision quest looking for Superior a couple years ago. At last count I had been to over a dozen Walgreen's in several towns without success. I've been told that stores in Latino neighborhoods carry it but so far no luck.

SteveWY,

Walgreen's website has a feature that will tell you which stores carry which products. That's how I found Superior70 from among the dozen or so Walgreens around me. Only one of them had it. Good luck....

Can someone tell me if this is what most Bay Rums are like? S70 just seems like clove-scented alcohol to me. Not a bad splash but nothing special. How would you compare it to the other commonly mentioned Bay Rums?

Can someone tell me if this is what most Bay Rums are like? S70 just seems like clove-scented alcohol to me. Not a bad splash but nothing special. How would you compare it to the other commonly mentioned Bay Rums?
It's not what most bay rums are like. Bay rums are insanely varied... but this one isn't really an "after shave" at all. It's not clove-scented, you just smell some similarity between bay and clove. They're actually different -- as you will be able to tell when comparing with a splash that is actually clove-scented.

All that said, even the "real" Bay Rum aftershaves, those with more healing ingredients etc., smell markedly different from each other. My favorites for very different reasons are probably Krampert's Finest and Captain's Choice (original/classic bay rum). Krampert's is more moisturizing, but both have an amazing face feel. Captain's has zero cloves (again... people describe it as "clovey" sometimes, but that's just notiing a similarity between bay and clove; distinguishing it from a *truly* clovey bay rum should be easy!).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Superior 70 has Bay Rum Oil and Alcohol. There is no clove.

Superior 70 has Bay Rum Oil and Alcohol. There is no clove.
Agreed. A common misconception regarding Bay Rum. Bay Rum is in The Myrtle Family(Myrtaceae). All Spice and Cloves are in the same Family. They share similar properties.

Alternate title: myrtle family
Myrtaceae, the myrtle family of shrubs and trees, in the order Myrtales, containing about 150 genera and 3,300 species that are widely distributed in the tropics. They have rather leathery evergreen leaves with oil glands. Some members of economic importance are the Eucalyptus, guava, rose apple, Surinam cherry, and feijoa. Allspice, clove, and oil of bay rum are spices derived from plants of this family. Other members of the family include Brisbane box, Callistemon, Eugenia, Leptospermum, myrtle, and jaboticaba.

Source

I get that it's Bay leaves not cloves although that's what it reminds me of. But I thought there would be a hint of rum which I don't find at all. So Superior 70 doesn't seem special to me.

Top Bottom