What's new

Buying first strop

Hey guys,

New member here, and this is my first question post, so please forgive my possible n00by silly questions, and don't hesitate to tell me if I've done something wrong. And sorry if it's a little long winded.

So I've just ordered my first straight, and I'm eagerly waiting it's arrival, and I've been looking around for a strop, and I'm a little confused which way to go. I've found this one on ebay which seems like a good deal, and the seller has many happy customers. I'm just wondering about a couple things though. I will paste the description and attach a couple of pictures.

So this is what the auction says:

Professional top quality razor sharpening strop, ideal tool for sharpening and smoothing your razor blades. This strop is made with best quality cowhide leather which allows for smoother shaving blades. This strop is designed for professional barber shops & home use. These strops are finely balanced to allow for an easy sharpening experience. The strop has a handle at the bottom and swivel hanging tab on the top end for ease use. The front side is used for sharpening and back side for smoothing the razor blade.
Description
Top quality Leather Strop
· Double sharpening strop with genuine cow hide leather
· The leather strop is made of raw cowhide which is then hand finished
· Leather Strop is the safest way of sharpening straight razors blades
· back plain Strop side used for final touching after sharpening straight razors
· The strop has swivel steel hanging tab and cushioned handle for easy grip
· Length of belts: 21 inch
· Width of belts:2 inch
· Length of sharpening part of belt is 13 inch
· Quality Leather
· Ideal for Hair Salons, Barber Shops & Household Use

$strop1.jpg$strop2.jpg

So as you can see from the pictures it's not so much a double sided strop, but has two strops on the one hook. It looks to me like they're both leather, one softer than the other (the auction isn't super clear on that), is this an issue? Would it be better to have canvas or linen, or does it really not matter? It says in the description "Length of sharpening part of belt is 13 inch".. I'm not even sure what that means.. does that sound normal?

In any case, this strop is $24, and I just wanna know if it's good enough to learn on? Should I not be so cheap and spend a bit more money? Should I perhaps go with one that has a linen or canvas part? Should I go with a paddle instead? any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks very much gents,

Neo.

Wow those pictures are massive, I'll figure out how to resize them for future posts. Sorry guys.

Hello and welcome to B&B. I would avoid the cheap eBay and Amazon strops. Most here have found them to be small and stiff. Good choices are from Star Shaving and Whipped Dog here in the USA. Illinois Strop Co. (Fromm) are also good values. I am not sure about shipping to Australia, but good luck.

Hello and welcome to B&B. I would avoid the cheap eBay and Amazon strops. Most here have found them to be small and stiff. Good choices are from Star Shaving and Whipped Dog here in the USA. Illinois Strop Co. (Fromm) are also good values. I am not sure about shipping to Australia, but good luck.

Thanks man! Sound advice. I'm actually heading to the states in about a week for Thanksgiving with my girlfriend and her family, north Cal to be exact. There for three weeks, so I might check out what I can find. I'll just get something shipped to her folks' place if I can't find anything in stores =)

First off Welcome to B&B now for the strop, if your new to straight shaving don't start off with a super expensive one as stated get a poor mans strop from Whipped Dog on get on from one of our members here like Buca as chances are you are going to nick and or cut the strop or you may decide that using a straight is not for you and you won't be out alot of cash. I currently have been using one from Buca and I don't plan on getting another soon as it is doing a fantastic job, pretty no but function is 100% and after doing 30/50 on the cloth and leather it will split hairs and give me a super shave.

First off Welcome to B&B now for the strop, if your new to straight shaving don't start off with a super expensive one as stated get a poor mans strop from Whipped Dog on get on from one of our members here like Buca as chances are you are going to nick and or cut the strop or you may decide that using a straight is not for you and you won't be out alot of cash. I currently have been using one from Buca and I don't plan on getting another soon as it is doing a fantastic job, pretty no but function is 100% and after doing 30/50 on the cloth and leather it will split hairs and give me a super shave.

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. Great advice, I will definitely check out Whipped Dog, and as for Buca, am I able to just look him up through B&B and PM him, or does he put stuff that he has for sale up somewhere?

Top Bottom