What's new

Glycerin Soap Tutorial - Part 2

Great tutorial! I was using your first tutorial with Tabac soap and a brush that looks suspiciously similar to yours (Vulfix 2235) and not getting a very good lather. I was given a jar of shaving cream for Christmas and used that until the start of February when I decided that Febuary would be the month that I learned to lather properly with Tabac. The first of the month I forgot to empty the water that I dripped onto the soap to wet it (a couple of teaspoons) and got totally carried away with swirling the brush on the soap, carrying on far longer than I normally do. Suddenly lather exploded from the top of the soap and I got enough for three passes.

Nice to see that someone got there before me so the technique is "B&B Approved"!

Thanks for the informative pictorial. I just started using my first glycerin soap a few days ago and was achieving the same results as in Part 1. Finding this thread was great timing!

This method of lathermaking from a soap deserves to be in the Wiki. It works so much better than the one in there now for so many people. One of these days, I might figure out how to add things and put it in there.

If anyone else has experience with making Wiki articles, feel free to beat me to the punch. :smile:

I was having some problems getting a great lather with my QED soaps until I read this tutorial. Lot's of thick lather now, thanks for the info Scotto!!

I

iwakura42

Scotto, what do you do between soaking your brush and starting to swirl the brush on the soap? I realized from another tutorial that my brush may initially be too wet--squeezing it out before I started got me much better results. The tutorial doesn't mention this step, though. Thanks for your comments.

I was just wondering, but what's the difference between a glycerin soap, and a regular non-glycerin soap?

Glycerin soap has the actual glycerin added.
Regular soap makes it's own glycerin during the soapmaking process naturally.

HTH.

Just used this method on a little Mama bear's Sandalwood Vanilla...Worked perfectly--made gobs and gobs of lather that didn't dry out, and I got a marvelous shave!

Kudos! :biggrin:

Thanks for the tutorial. This is the only method I have found to get workable lather (other than adding cream) from a VDH glycerin, VDH boar brush, and extremely hard water.

Thanks very much Scotto. I've used your technique with Mama Bear's Masculine Musk and Proraso Green Tea and Aloe to great effect. My shaves have noticeably improved.

It took a while of work with the old boar, but THANK YOU!!! I FINALLY got great lather out of my Honeybee soaps that everyone has been raging about but I was epic failing with!

I'm so glad this tutorial reemerged. I see now why I haven't been getting the lather that I needed. This helps so much. Thanks, Scotto, Swami of Wet-Shaving!

Top Bottom