What's new

Glycerin Soap Tutorial - Part 2

Someone necro-posted, and I'm glad. I'm well past this point now, but certainly wish I would've seen it months ago.

This is a must-see/read for new folks.

I looked this up on the shave wiki 2 days ago. It opened my eyes to what real lather should look like. I deprived myself for over a year! Never again....

Hey, just thought I'd bump this old post to say that it's still helping people. New to wet shaving and even newer to soaps. This saved my soap from the garbage and opened up a world of lathering product options to me. Thanks.

I'm curious... should this technique of pouring water in the tub be used for a cream too? Or is this only for soaps? I have similar problems with my cream lather drying out, like what he described in part 1.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm curious... should this technique of pouring water in the tub be used for a cream too? Or is this only for soaps? I have similar problems with my cream lather drying out, like what he described in part 1.
The purpose of the water is to soften/dissolve some of the top of the soap, making it easier to load. I wouldn't do this with creams (I am assuming tubs, not tubes :tongue_sm), as they will probably end up turning mushy after a few repeat sessions.

For your disappearing lather, try the long-standing recommendations.... use more product. Just remember that this means you will need more water too. :innocent:

Been tempted to try Neutrogena Glycerin Translucent soap as a shave soap. Tried it this AM. Washed first with cool water and the Neutrogena, rinsed with luke warm water. Than rubbed the wet bar all over my stubble, took my wet brush to face lather and very quickly had a dense slick lather. Got a 3 pass shave, using a DE89 with Derby Blade, very little irritation. I had to be careful not to go over a spot more than once without reapplying lather. There was more than enough lather in my brush for all three passes. The lather was not as slick as the slickest I have used, Nivea Sensitive Cream. But it was a comfortable, inexpensive, and easy to use alternative to specialty soaps and creams. As always YMMV.

Been tempted to try Neutrogena Glycerin Translucent soap as a shave soap. Tried it this AM. Washed first with cool water and the Neutrogena, rinsed with luke warm water. Than rubbed the wet bar all over my stubble, took my wet brush to face lather and very quickly had a dense slick lather. Got a 3 pass shave, using a DE89 with Derby Blade, very little irritation. I had to be careful not to go over a spot more than once without reapplying lather. There was more than enough lather in my brush for all three passes. The lather was not as slick as the slickest I have used, Nivea Sensitive Cream. But it was a comfortable, inexpensive, and easy to use alternative to specialty soaps and creams. As always YMMV.

I'd be pretty nervous about using Neutrogena for shaving. It leaves a sticky residue on my skin.

As a newbie I found the pictures really helped me understand your points on what the lather should look like. I have only recently moved away from cartridges and have found getting a decent lather from my TOBS Sandalwood frustrating. I will use your advise for my next shave.

(Found post via ShaveWiki)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
As a newbie I found the pictures really helped me understand your points on what the lather should look like. I have only recently moved away from cartridges and have found getting a decent lather from my TOBS Sandalwood frustrating. I will use your advise for my next shave.

(Found post via ShaveWiki)
Welcome aboard, @philcatc ! Whether a newbie or a not-so-newbie, a periodic review of some of these older informative threads (and wiki entries) is a wonderful thing.

Top Bottom