What's new

Anyone feel that they get a better shave with a cart?

I used a Trac today. "Made in Israel" cartridge. DFS with a single pass, zero irritation and no sting with the alum block.
I used Arko soap, and finished with REWE aftershave balm.

I have just bought a mate at work a 1965 slim and gave him one of each of the blades from my collection and within 2 shaves he is now a massive convert. This is way better than any cartridge but as everyone says the results will only come if you can master the technique !! :thumbup:

I have just bought a mate at work a 1965 slim and gave him one of each of the blades from my collection and within 2 shaves he is now a massive convert. This is way better than any cartridge but as everyone says the results will only come if you can master the technique !! :thumbup:

I have been wetshaving for over 30 years, both cartridges (mainly Trac) and traditional (G2000, Schick Krona).

I would dare to say that I have enough technique to get a great shave with a cartridge, thank you.

I've tried the Gillette Fusion, Gave me a fairly decent shave but no way near a BBS. They are ok if your not retired and are late for work. I keep a 1 shave toss away in a draw in case I'm late for a Dr. appointment, also to mention that Gillette (Proctor & Gamble) charges $42,+ for just 12 cartridges compared to $12.00 for 100 Crystal blades lasting about a year.
Maybe if one had a light beard, and didn't mind spending the cost of cartridges, then maybe Fusion cartridges and a can of shaving soap is the way to go. But as for me I'll stay a die hard DE shaver getting a BBS every morning.
Denis:001_smile Happiness is a BBS

When I want an absolute BBS shave (which I normally don't), a DE razor with a sharp blade (Feather!) works best. Three passes with some touch-ups and my face feels super smooth.

But for getting a quick and easy DFS shave, a good Trac or Atra cartridge works great for me. Same result with a single WTG pass that a two pass DE shave typically gives me.

As always, YMMV (something that the cartridge bashers tend to forget?)

Are you bashing the cart bashers?

Nah, just a bit frustrated at the black or white attitude in this topic :tongue_sm

I'm sure that some people genuinely get irritation from their cartridges, with their products, and their technique ... but it is too easy to say that all cartridges are evil, or all DE razors are good for everyone. Also known as YMMV :wink2:

Nah, just a bit frustrated at the black or white attitude in this topic :tongue_sm

I'm sure that some people genuinely get irritation from their cartridges, with their products, and their technique ... but it is too easy to say that all cartridges are evil, or all DE razors are good for everyone. Also known as YMMV :wink2:

Nothing wrong with carts, sure they aren't for everyone. DE razors aren't either.

I know I have been saying this for months ... but tomorrow I will do it, I will shave with a cart! I am not sure what I have there, I know I have some Gillette and some BIC, 3 blades all of them.

I'll post my thoughts here, tomorrow.

Farewell, it was nice to have known you! :lol: :lol:

(make sure you're back from the ER before Saturday CET 1800 :wink2: )

:lol:

I'm sure I'll be fine. Also, 3 blade carts aren't expensive and shouldn't be so aggressive on the skin as the 5 and 6 blade monsters. They can be a good travel razor, I think.
It's been a long time since I last used a cart, so tomorrow I will finally do it.

Fellas, fellas, settle down. Cartridges aren't the enemy. Electrics are the enemy! :ohmy:

Semi-seriously, though, I remember back when I first started shaving (it was a Schick Tracer FX) NOONE was using carts at the time. They were already seen as "old-fashioned" and "primitive". I think every other kid in school at the time (the ones who could afford it) had an electric shaver as their first and only razor. It was a secret shame and a cross to bear to have to shave with a "cheap" cartridge razor.

1990 Schick Tracer Razor Commercial

Norelco commercial - 1990

Last edited:
I have been wetshaving for over 30 years, both cartridges (mainly Trac) and traditional (G2000, Schick Krona).

I would dare to say that I have enough technique to get a great shave with a cartridge, thank you.
Congratulations..... did someone get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning ??? Stick to the DE its more relaxing :001_smile

Question for those who can use one cart for a month or so (30 shaves with the same cart before replacing it, I gather):
What are you using most, canned foam, gel, jelly, soap/cream and brush?

I will start 2015 with January dedicated to carts and plan on using them in an effort to replicate the incredible number of shaves some of you get from a cart.

Guilty as charged.

From all my reading on B&B I am one of the exceptions. My beard is not coarse but it completely covers my face. After each (typically one pass WTG) shave, I alternately blow dry the blades with my breath and pat them on a dry terrycloth towel. Then I store the handle/blade in an airy place to dry completely.

BTW this is with a Mach 3 system. I also have some Sensor 3 cartridges and although perfectly adequate immediate after shaving, the stubble returns a few hours earlier.

Lastly, I completely ignore the color change in the "lubricating" strips. I go by feel, and when the blades start tugging I change the cartridge.

Forgive an old man for knocking Fusion and cartridges but many years ago I could go into a store and buy what ever I needed for a good DE shave. There were choices in DE blades, soaps, brushes and DE razors . Then gradually it all disappeared. Now I go to my local store and i see a wall of expensive cartridge shaving or a pick of through a way's. I have to travel no less than ten miles to a Family Dollar to get 1 choice of DE blades and a few miles more for a soap. Thankfully a few years ago I was taught how to us a PC and now able to order on line and patiently wait for my order. Maybe i just need to catch up to a high speed world, but I really don't want to.

Forgive an old man for knocking Fusion and cartridges but many years ago I could go into a store and buy what ever I needed for a good DE shave. There were choices in DE blades, soaps, brushes and DE razors . Then gradually it all disappeared. Now I go to my local store and i see a wall of expensive cartridge shaving or a pick of through a way's. I have to travel no less than ten miles to a Family Dollar to get 1 choice of DE blades and a few miles more for a soap. Thankfully a few years ago I was taught how to us a PC and now able to order on line and patiently wait for my order. Maybe i just need to catch up to a high speed world, but I really don't want to.

People talk about progress but in some respects, progress is superficial. I wonder how much the benefits from progress can be weighed against the deleterious effects.

...There was an article some time ago that said that Gillette's profit on their Fusion cartridges is 4,750 percent - a huge markup...

End of discussion, excellent statistic! Unfortunately, the flow of money makes the world go around and I don't think that will change in our lifetimes.

There was an article some time ago that said that Gillette's profit on their Fusion cartridges is 4,750 percent - a huge markup..

Let's see if we can make that dog hunt. If you shop on-line, Fusion cartridges in the 8-pack typically sell for about $3.25 each. The price that Gillette gets for that is probably about $1.65 assuming a typical keystone mark-up through the distribution chain. At at profit of 4,750 percent, that would make Gillette's cost per cartridge about $0,033, a little more than three cents. For comparison's sake, two five-packs of Gillette Silver Blue double edge blades typically sell for $5.50, or abut $0.55/blade. If Gillette sells ten Silver Blue blades into the distribution chain at a price of $2.75, and makes the same profit of 4,750 percent, its cost per blade would have been about $0.057.

Given the relative complexity of the Fusion cartridge vs. the Silver Blue blade and the much lower prices for other companies' double-edge stainless steel blades available on the market, the actual cost of a little over half a cent per blade for a stainless razor blade seems plausible.

IF (I emphasize "if") Gillette keeps the percentage profit equal between a stainless DE blade and a Fusion cartridge, then it seems to me that the ire, if any, should be directed to Procter & Gamble (Gillette's parent) rather than toward the difference between a cartridge and a DE blade.

Are we wending our discussion back toward the topic line of this thread yet?

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I get as good a shave with a cart as any other razor I have which now includes SE, SE injector and DE. My gripe is the planned obsolesence of carts. When I switched from DE many years ago I tried every new cartridge razor. I realized that cartidges became scarce or unavailable for older ones in stores, so I got off that train. I just prefer the fun and history of SE & DE shaving.

Top Bottom