What's new

Best watch under 300 dollars

Hi all!

I might be getting a little more money at work, and I was thinking of getting a nice watch to wear when not at work (Being unix sysadm means I have to get dirty from time to time). I currently have a Fossil Stark watch, which while cool it is not exactly a gentleman's watch and a Titanium Sieko, but is nothing to really phone home about I was shooting at under a 300 dollar price point, but I suppose I could expand that figure :biggrin:

I am a big Invita fan, I have one that has been mistaken as a Rolex Daytona or because of the Invita logo some have thought it was a Breitling. They are available with quartz or automatic movement. They are reasonable priced all the way up to OMG. ShopNBC is a great place to get them. I have bought mine and two for my wife there.

I am not particularly a dressy guy, perhaps on occasion. In my searching of the great "internets", I can across the Casio G-shock "Geiz" collection. I found one model in all black and that was just beautiful and I could wear it at work and with a suit/fine shirt and it would look just fine. http://www.watchreport.com/2006/12/the_casio_gshoc.html

Anyone ever own one of these higher end Casio G-shock watches?

Used to use Casios for work. Got the Seiko mechanical to dump the batteries.

I don't like replacing batteries at all, my current watch needed a "350" battery which was hard to find and expensive.

The Casio claims it's battery lasts 10 years and is charged via the Solar panel on the face of the watch, which is rather nifty :biggrin: I love gadgets, especially nice looking gadgets.

In that price range, there are some cool Seiko and Hamilton mechanicals. The ones I have are rugged enough for days at the airplane factory, yet look good most other places as well.

You may be looking for something a bit "dressier" but this is bar none the most durable, most reliable , most heavily built watch for the money I've found. Has a hardened crystal that takes a beating and still looks good. Get the stainless band as it is heavy also and very durable as well. Works great for me. But then I don't do "dressy".

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Black-Monster-Automatic-SKX779K1/dp/B0006IHHN4

+1 on this guy. I've had a Seiko divers 200 for about 15 years, and although I've only taken it down 30 meters, I have done so over 60 times. Never had a problem with my seiko.

another vote for Seiko... in-house movements, innovative technology, cheap. Unfortunately we do not get the best of the brand, and it does not have a status of luxury, but Seiko is as good as many watches that are over 3000 USD.

If you're looking for a cool Seiko, check out this website, which sells models made for the Japanese market that aren't generally available in the U.S. I've bought from them and their service was good.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/

I am noticing this as a trend. The best of the Casio's are made for the Japanese market, and the same goes for the Seiko. I guess they just assume all of the American audience doesn't have quite the same (good) taste. I am now torn between the Seiko diver models and the Casio "Geiz" models. I like them because they look nice, but also feel like they might outlast me, the divers are also nice because they feel like your wearing a watch, my Seiko titanium feels like a toy because it is so light in comparison.

I am noticing this as a trend. The best of the Casio's are made for the Japanese market, and the same goes for the Seiko. I guess they just assume all of the American audience doesn't have quite the same (good) taste. I am now torn between the Seiko diver models and the Casio "Geiz" models. I like them because they look nice, but also feel like they might outlast me, the divers are also nice because they feel like your wearing a watch, my Seiko titanium feels like a toy because it is so light in comparison.

Well more than underestimating the american market they know they have an image of a cheaper brand. It will cost a fortune to be considered in the same scale as Longuiness, let alone Omega or Rolex. Very few people would buy a Spring Drive or a Grand Seiko over a Rolex. I would.
Finally you may want to check these
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/
They offer some of the cheapest sapphire cristal watches. I specially like the c5 collection though you may prefer the C6

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hamilton Khaki

+1

Also check out the Citizen Eco-Drive. I have a Sky Hawk that I really like. It gets radio updates everyday from the national time standard and only cost me $200 brand new in the box. Oh wait, you have to know someone who works for Citizen to get that price, my bad. :biggrin:

Absolutely love my Seiko chronograph.

+1. I have a black face Seiko Chronograp that's styling closely matches the Omega Speedmaster. More than 10 years of abuse and it works like a champ. Plus, when you have a chronograph function, you find that you use if more than you would suspect.

Top Bottom