What's new

Interested in picking up my first firearm

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Very true. I find that normal .357 isn't bad when you have a 6"+ barrel. I wouldn't get anything less than 3, never been a fan of snub nose.

My 686 is a 6" that is a dream to shoot. It is a bit big for every day carry though. :lol:

Sorry Gareth we are kind of de-railing your thread. All good info though.

Home defense and range shooting. I was looking for either 9mm or .45. I've shot some .22's and feel they're a bit small.

Home defense. DA revolver. .38 special +P. Why? Always "locked and cocked" just pick it up, point, pull trigger. No additional thinking required outside of what is happening around you at the moment. You do not want anything extra to think about in a stress situation (is it racked?, is the safety off?). 38 +p is more than enough but not too much that it should not get into your neighbors house if you discharge it in your house.

The same strong points are a DA revolvers weak points. Always loaded and ready. Not good for someone finding it and not knowing what they are doing with it (click = bang the first time).

S&W model 10 service has been around forever and is still in use.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/s-w_model_10.htm

When the RCMP retired their 3" barreled S&W model 10 stainless revolvers a couple decades ago I picked up a number of them and they have been "peppered" all around the house.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've both auto's (.22, .40, .45 1911) and wheel guns (.22, .38/.357). If I had to recommend just one for an all arounder, it would be the revolver in .357, which will fire .38 Specials for less dough (S&W 586/686). I love the 1911 Colt, dislike the .40 pistole platisque H&K but not enough to have sold it yet. Wouldn't hit a dog in the behind with a Glock, though they do have their fans.

$gunznrollies.jpg

IMHO guns are addictive. You almost can't have too many - or too many variations - or too many different calibers = they all have a purpose. Personally I own 22's, 380's, 9mm & 45's; all Semi Autos but a revolver (or 2) will soon be in the arsenal; I've got Smith & Wessons, Rugers, Glocks, Berettas, Kahrs, 1911's and I love each and every one of them!

It's virtually impossible to tell someone what they should get. It's critical to know what you want it for ... I will say this though - for reliability, functionality, ease of break down for cleaning, and relative performance = it's pretty hard to beat a Glock. But that's just one mans opinion. They aint pretty - that's for sure and there are smoother shooting guns but a Glock is like the old timex watch = it takes a lickin' and keeps on kickin'.

Last point - probably the sweetest shooting handgun I have is a Beretta 92fs in 9mm. Accurate as all get out and just pure pleasure to shoot!

For home defense, you will be happy with a full size pistol or revolver. The longer barrel yields greater velocities and a longer sight radius. You will need to find the appropriate caliber by shooting various guns. Use the largest caliber you can shoot well and comfortably. I like a .357 revolver. An added bonus is the ability to chamber .38 spl also. More reliable, fewer failures but when they do fail it's usually terminal, until you get to a gunsmith anyway!

For concealed carry, you're going to have to make some compromises in size and weight, unless you are a big guy.

Seems like a revolver is a popular weapon type around here. I'm sure I'll eventually own more than one handgun, but for my first I would prefer a magazine clip rather than a revolver. I don't really have a reason, though. Just preference.

Ok... Pet peeve. A magazine loads a gun a clip loads a magazine. The m1 garand has an 8 round internal magazine fed by stripper clips. Best way to remember

Seems like a revolver is a popular weapon type around here. I'm sure I'll eventually own more than one handgun, but for my first I would prefer a magazine clip rather than a revolver. I don't really have a reason, though. Just preference.
My first pistol was a S&W model 10 .38 I gave it to my dad for his 44 mag which he didn't like, I still got it and I like it its not too bad recoil wise but its too big for practical uses except maybe hunting grizzly bear, I still kick myself for trading that model 10. I bought a 1911 for CC a many years ago and still have it, actually I have a few. Its slightly big for CC but I like it so much I still use it on occasion. I went light for CC with a Kahr PM45, but occasionally I'll carry a 1911 when the weather is right.

Somebody said that a beretta 92 is accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Having used both an M9 (beretta 92) and a 1911, the 1911 is way more accurate and much more fun to shoot. (I guess it depends on how much fun you have when you can't hit the broad side of a barn?) Not only was the M9 inaccurate it required many (usually 4 or more) shots to do what the 1911 did with 1 well placed shot.

And if that's your preference, that's what you should go with. I carry a Glock 23 and use a J-frame revolver in the nightstand. Since the revolver is unholstered, I'm more comfortable with the double action trigger of a revolver.

M&p compact in .40!

I purchased a full size 9mm a year ago then found out soon after that the compact can use a 9mm barrel... 2 guns in 1.

I also just recently got my ccw license and will most likely be purchasing a shield in the spring. .. full size just awkward to conceal.

Taurus Judge - best home defense hand gun I can think of! It will shoot 410 shotgun shells or 45 colt. The 410 make it so you don't need to be dead on and can spay lead at an intruder like a shot gun. There are also different types of 410 home defense ammo that has a mix of lead bb's and discs. You could also mix the 45 colt with the 410 (every other shot). Lastly, you will rarely have to worry about a malfunction with a revolver!

Last edited:
Taurus Judge - best home defense hand gun I can think of! It will shoot 410 shotgun shells or 45 colt. The 410 make it so you don't need to be dead on and can spay lead at an intruder like a shot gun. There are also different types of 410 home defense ammo that has a mix of lead bb's and discs. You could also mix the 45 colt with the 410 (every other shot). Lastly, you will never have to worry about a malfunction with a revolver!
Revolvers can malfunction too.
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/the-revolver-malfunction-drill/

A Glock is a perfect first gun. Affordable, uber reliable and easy to maintain, will shoot under practically all conditions, parts/mags are available everywhere, and under stressful situations and beginning shooters I think the capacity advantage over a revolver is a huge plus in a real self defense situation.

They aren't pretty, 1911's are, but are also finicky unless properly maintained (regularly). A 1911 is also a smoother shooting gun.

As for caliber, shoot a bunch before you decide. My G32 allows me to shoot 357 sig, 9mm, and 40mm with a simple barrel switch. I love the flexibility. Also, I really like shooting .45 caliber guns as I like the push vs. snap that a .45 gives and I have confidence in the stopping power of the larger caliber. If you think it will be a long time before you buy another gun, my suggestion would be to buy the largest caliber you feel comfortable shooting and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!

Not as likely or frequently. Don't get me wrong Glocks and others have it figured out. But there is still more maintenance (cleaning, etc.). Semi autos are more complex with more parts and pieces to worry about. I own many of each and would recommend a revolver to anyone wanting a no worry reliable firearm, especially for home defense!
Agreed. I was simply responding to this statement: Lastly, you will never have to worry about a malfunction with a revolver!

First congrats on deciding to purchase a firearm. Best decision ever. Second, I would never suggest your first gun to be a handgun, even if you have shot some in the past; however if you are dead set on a handgun then stick with a nice revolver. They are easier to maintain, load and unload and shoot. I love my S&W .357 mag. It fits nice in my hand it is very concealable with the 2.5 inch barrel. Finally if you load it .38 special for target shooting you can shoot for days without recoil issues.

I boil down the malfunction argument to this. Any firearm that relies on the combustion gas of the round to operate means that ANYTHING that prevents the round from chambering and firing means that the person behind the trigger must now perform those actions, and that means clearing the malfunction first. Those actions must be trained and there are a significant number and variety of them.

Since a revolver does not require the round going off to operate, clearing of the issue simply means pulling the trigger again, which is probably the action you were going to perform anyway. The only downside to this is that a revolver malfunction is usually a major issue that takes that weapon out of action immediately.

So while one should use absolutes like "never" sparingly, your chances of encountering a true revolver malfunction are slim.

Last edited:
Like many here I prefer a 38 or a 357 revolver for nightstand home defense. But if OP is dead-set on a semi-auto, I'd suggest a long look at a Glock 17 or a Glock 19.

Both are great handguns, plenty accurate enough for home defense and fun at the range, easily managable recoil, and I personally find them easier to clean than a revolver.

+1 on a .357 mag revolver. I wish I had bought one. I went with a semi-auto instead (sigsauer), and now I worry about reliability issues. I do take it apart, clean, rotate mags, and have a schedule to replace the springs which should help it function properly when I need it, but for peace of mind, a revolver is best.

auk, how is cleaning a glock easier than a revolver? I feel like I'm forgetting something?

Top Bottom