What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 Shedder

High end brushes should not shed. You didn't see this a decade ago. Now they tell they are suppose to shed when you first get. I for one am not buying that. I never had but one that shed & it was a Simpson. I hope you get another brush sir & don't put up with any crap. Best of luck. Grayson

3 of the 5 simpson's that i have purchased did just what your's is doing (specifically 2 chubby 2's in best and a special in pure) a 60% failure rate is completely unacceptable imho; especially at the price one has to pay for simpson brand brushes. needless to say, i've stopped buying simpson products.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the support guys. Im certain now this brush is 110% faulty and the vendor has started a warranty claim (with Simpson, or the Aussie Distributor i can only assume) and will get back to me in a couple of days.

Im heading off with the family on a Xmas holiday, hopefully there will be news of a replacement brush waiting for me to collect when we return in a week.

I asked if i could get a different (Simpson) brush as i dont really have much faith in the Chubby 2 following this but was told that the warranty would only cover a direct replacement for the same brush, so be it.

I wasnt going to use it again but thought what the hell, todays my last chance at home before we go on holidays so i thought i might as well use it one last time...

Today - 19th Dec 2013. Stopped counting at 80..
proxy.php

proxy.php

Travis.

Quick update, just got word the warranty has been approved and a replacement is on it's way to the vendor.

Travis.

Sorry to hear about your brush. Glad to hear a replacement has been send to you. I was looking into getting a Simpsons brush but I think I am going to get something else.

Over the years I've purchased seven new Simpson brushes and none have been shedders. Actually, I've been fortunate in that I've owned brushes from all the major manufacturers except M&F, and I've never gotten a shedder. Everyone has to make up his own mind as to whether Simpson brushes are worth a premium price. However, regardless of price, an occasional shedder is unavoidable given the human handwork that goes into a high end brush. I'm not aware of any facts indicating that Simpson brushes are more prone to shedding, and I imagine all the big names in the business produce some shedders.

Anyone receiving a brush like yours has every right to be upset and even outright angry. What matters most here is that the vendor and Simpson backed up the brush and did the right thing. All of us here are equally horrified at the pictures of the shedding brush, and equally delighted that the problem was taken care of for you.

Last edited:
The world famous Simpson Quality Control at work!

Yes, it's good that Simpson decided to replace the shedding brush.

However, I think it would be much nicer, if Simpson would finally establish something known in other cpmpanies as "Quality Control", before sending out defective brushes off the factory and let their customers do voodoo with shampoo and combs.

Imho it would be much better, if their MD could take actions against these frequent QC issues, instead of hanging around in shaving forums during office hours.

I'm with TheLegalRazor on this one. It's impossible to produce a perfect product every time. Even more so because they're made by human hands. I have no idea what their failure rate is, or how it compares to other makers, but so long as they stand behind the product, it really shouldn't matter too much. (Assuming it's not sky-high.) I've seen much anecdotal evidence in this thread from people who have had a Simpson shedder, but I tend to view such claims with a bit of skepticism. After all, people who have had a problem are more likely to come and post about it. (Although I've seen plenty of random "love my Simpsons" posts, too.) Even more importantly, Simpsons is a market leader. I recently shopped around for a new high-end brush, and I could have purchased ten Simpsons for every one Rooney or M&F. Again, I'm not armed with numbers, but Simpsons must produce a metric crap-ton of brushes. From what I gather, most of the other high-end stuff is produced in small shops by one or two artisans.

I'm not a Simpsons cheerleader. I've got a Classic 2 Best, and it's never lost a single hair, but that isn't enough data to say that they are perfect. But neither is the occasional bum brush, either. And it says a lot for the company that they were eager to offer a replacement.

I have a CH2 best and maybe I was lucky that it wasn't a shedder, it just took quite a while to start performing great and it still is a lather hog.

I have not seen a lot of post about shavemac, Thäter, Semogue, Rooney or M&F brushes to be shedders. But there are numerous threads from members having trouble with Simpson brushes. My completely unstatistical guess, is that there are more Simpson shedders occurring than of these 5 other companies together.

If you get lucky, these are very fine brushes but if you shell out somewhere $150-200 for a premium brush you should be able to expect a good value for money. Obviously this is not the case. Taking handmade by human as a excuse for poor attention to quality craftsman ship is besides the point, sorry. All other high end brushes are also handmade AFAIK.
If someone intentionally wants to experience a Simpson brush he's gonna have to take the risk to get a shedder and deal with the hassle to get it replaced. Otherwise there are plenty of alternatives around.

Hi guys just a quick update to let you know I collected the replacement brush today.

Im im a little apprehensive about using the new Chubby 2 but I know the odds of getting another dud would be extremely slim.

Travis

That's messed up. The vendor needs to do the right thing and provide a replacement or full credit towards another product(s).
That would be in a perfect world of course.

I'm glad they ended up replacing it for you. It is your choice whether you want to use it or not.

Last edited:
Hey Larry, no complaints with the vendor they were always exceptionally quick to handle the issue, replying to my emails etc and had this come up at any other time over the year I'd say I'd have had a replacement within a week but I expected a delay given the Xmas / New year period it's simply unavoidable.

Travis.

I have owned many brushes and have encountered only a few true shedders. Only one of these was a Simpson, a CH2 Best, in fact. That brush was promptly replaced by the manufacturer, no questions asked.

I see a couple different attitudes toward this situation whenever a brush shedding thread appears. Some feel that shedding should never happen, especially in a brush that costs as much as a CH2, and head toward the conclusion that Simpsons brushes aren't worth their time or money.

Others point out the sheer volume of Simpsons sold compared to other brands, the handmade nature of these brushes, and the customer service provided by Simpsons. And they head toward the conclusion that Simpsons are worth their time and money.

Is this a glass is half empty/half full difference? I won't say, but I'm in the second camp. I also wonder if the sheer volume of hair packed into some of their knots influences the occurrence of shedding? Either way, Simpsons provides excellent customer service and stands behind their product. And I prefer their brushes to any of the many others I have used. For me, nothing comes close to the experience of lathering up a Chubby 2.

Please let us know how your new CH2 works out.

I have owned many brushes and have encountered only a few true shedders. Only one of these was a Simpson, a CH2 Best, in fact. That brush was promptly replaced by the manufacturer, no questions asked.

I see a couple different attitudes toward this situation whenever a brush shedding thread appears. Some feel that shedding should never happen, especially in a brush that costs as much as a CH2, and head toward the conclusion that Simpsons brushes aren't worth their time or money.

Others point out the sheer volume of Simpsons sold compared to other brands, the handmade nature of these brushes, and the customer service provided by Simpsons. And they head toward the conclusion that Simpsons are worth their time and money.

Is this a glass is half empty/half full difference? I won't say, but I'm in the second camp. I also wonder if the sheer volume of hair packed into some of their knots influences the occurrence of shedding? Either way, Simpsons provides excellent customer service and stands behind their product. And I prefer their brushes to any of the many others I have used. For me, nothing comes close to the experience of lathering up a Chubby 2.

Please let us know how your new CH2 works out.

I am definitely closer to the second group as well (I tend to be overly optomistic sometimes) but it could be combination of higher volumes of brushes and only a slightly higher failure rate. It would be interesting (but probably impossible to get) to see what the market share breakdown is for shaving brushes. I assume Simpsons is the #1 brand but how secure is this? Are Rooney, M&F, Semogue, Omega, etc combined more than Simpsons?

Interesting, but improbable to get this data.

In the mean time I will take all of this anecdotal evidence and keep it in perspective. Getting a shedder sucks; getting a replacement is acceptable as long as the process is fairly painless. For what it's worth, I have only purchased one new Simpson brush (the TSN P8) and it is a great brush and has not shed more than 6 hairs, and that was only in the first 3 uses. My one and only shedder was a boar knot from TGN a few years ago. Didn't bother contacting the vendor because they would most likely just replace the $8 knot and I will still need to redo all of the labor that went into restoring the brush, and I didn't feel like doing that at the time (and still don't :001_tongu).

Back to this thread, congrats on getting a replacement and I hope it doesn't shed for you.

Top Bottom