What's new

Wondering which watch would work

I'm looking to get an inexpensive mechanical or automatic winding watch. I don't really care about what it looks like... I just want something relatively plain with an easy to see second hand. I'd also like something inexpensive. I'm not looking for the last watch I'll ever wear, but simply something I can wear for a while to see if it breaks or if it actually continues to work for me.

Why?
I currently own a $10 Walmart special quartz watch. It has, so far, lasted me longer than most any other watch I have owned ( 4 months ). All of my prior watches have been quartz and usually after about 3-4 months, they just simply stop working. There's nothing wrong with the battery (I've had them replaced & they still don't work ) and nothing appears to be broken... they just stop working. I don't know if it's bad luck buying watches with problems, some "voodoo" with my body chemistry or if I'm just overly abusive to them without noticing it. It actually got so bad that for the last 10 years or so, I haven't worn one. Now that I have a need for a watch, I'd like to have one that doesn't quit after a few months.

I'd kind of like to keep it in the $50 - $60 range, but I'm sure there probably aren't many ( or any ) in that price range. I'd be willing to go a bit higher, but I'm just putting some feelers out for right now.

If you bought shoes with cardboard soles, how long would you expect them to last?
The reason your cheap watches don't last is because they are cheap watches.
Cheap anything,is not made to last...It is made to sell.
There is no good cheap watch. IMHO..:001_cool:

There is also the other obvious question, do you work around strong vibrations or electromagnetic fields? I know someone who rides an old battery operated tow motor for 10 hours a day and can't keep a cheap quartz watch more than 4 months.

I work in an office & sit at a desk in front of a computer for 8 hours a day. I used to wear a watch at school in High School, but they'd fail quite often. I haven't worn this watch every day for the 4 months I've owned it, but I'm wearing it more & more now.

If you bought shoes with cardboard soles, how long would you expect them to last?
The reason your cheap watches don't last is because they are cheap watches.
There is no good cheap watch. IMHO..:001_cool:

I agree no good watch is cheap!! However, you can most certainly move up to a good quality watch for around 100. Heck even a Skagen at your local Macy's will be a huge step up. Of course sometimes you can find a great steal on CL.

I have to disagree, while there may not be any cheap mechanical or automatics (never really priced them) there are inexpensive watches out there with nice quality where it counts. My favorite watch is a old $40 Casio DW-5600 I bought back in 1997, while I do have higher end watches I wear from time to time, I wear it probably 70% of the time. It may be ugly and *gasp* digital, but it has taken insane abuse, has been immersed in salt water, mud, snow and been in temps ranging from -30 to 105F and it still runs great, the battery has only needed changing 3 times and most importantly...it keeps excellent time, only gaining about 3-5 seconds per month.

I agree about gshock nothing takes abuse better. One of the Seiko automatics is a nice inexpensive watch I really like my big orange.

I agree no good watch is cheap!! However, you can most certainly move up to a good quality watch for around 100. Heck even a Skagen at your local Macy's will be a huge step up. Of course sometimes you can find a great steal on CL.

Sage advise. Don't go cheap unless you plan on replacing it next year. $100 is a much better price range. $400 minimum would be ideal in a perfect world.
A nice used Citizen would be great at $100. I'd check a local pawn shop for a nice deal on used.

While I do see the point some have made about a $40 digital....he asked about an automatic. And for what he is looking for no cheap watch is truly "good". And yup, if he could save up to the $400-500 dollar range. Then you have some great options. Even finding an older Tag Heuer auto on CL.

$400-$500. He could get a really good watch....He doesn't have to go used. But not for $50...except maybe TIMEX.

I've been wearing a Wenger Field watch I bought 4 years ago and have replaced the battery last Jan., it runs like a top and I only paid a little over 80 dollars for it. You'll get good bang for the buck if you increase your ceiling for what you want to spend to 80-100 dollars.

Timex Weekender. I have never heard/read anything bad about them. It is an inexpensive quartz watch with a number of different color combinations to suit most anyone's fashion sense unless you are looking for a big watch. Mine has been ticking for a while now.

I agree no good watch is cheap!!
$400 minimum would be ideal in a perfect world.
There is no good cheap watch. IMHO..

Sure there is, and in literally dozens of styles, too.

No, I'm not talking about random chinese brands that appeared last year and will be gone by next, I'm talking about a russian brand with about 50 years of history - Vostok.

Some examples:
http://chistopolcity.com/category.php?id_category=9 Manuals $35 a pop.
http://chistopolcity.com/category.php?id_category=7 Automatics $60-75 a pop.

First let me say I've never owned a Vostok, and never will because I find them unimaginably ugly. That said I think this is the first time I've ever read Russian and built to last in the same post. Reading many of the posts here, even from Vostok owners and lovers, I wouldn't call them reliable or built to last. The words, unique, fun, attention getting, conversation starting, cheap, are what owners usually say.

For a guy who already has the uncanny ability to kill watches I wouldn't recommend them.

Again never owned one but I would +1 the Timex weekender.

Go up in price to the $75 - 100 range, and check out Amazon's selection of Casio G Shock. I got a nice solar powered, atomic clock one for about $90. Very sturdy, never needs a new battery, and never needs to be reset.

First let me say I've never owned a Vostok, and never will because I find them unimaginably ugly.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

My Vostok from Chisto:

proxy.php

Everyone has their own style and own opinion, neither of which can be said to be wrong by another person. But for me, that picture is a prime example of my earlier comment.

You like it and frankly that's all that matters.

Top Bottom