What's new

Blade performance

proxy.php

4 terrific shaves and still life in the blade. It's definitely not dull.

1. Gillette Fat Handled Tech
  2. iKon OSS
  3. Gillette Fatboy
  4. Merkur 1904 top plate, Fatip Chrome base plate on iKon Bulldog razor handle
Another egyptian blade. How do they make these blades ? Unbelievable. With this one, I think the best shave was the 4'th. Maybe because of the combo. I'll keep it in mind (the combo) and I'll try it with other blades too.
This is definitely a blade that I'll order a 100+ sometime.

proxy.php

4 shaves.

1. Gillette Fatboy
  2. Gillette fat handled Tech
  3. Mühle R41
  4. Parker 98R Heavy Duty Premium Barber Pole with Fatip chrome head base plate
Best shave with R41.
I was not impressed by this blade, but it is OK.

proxy.php

8 BBS shaves !!!

1. Merkur 985CL with Fatip chrome head base plate
  2. Mühle R41
  3. Gillette Fatboy
  4. iKon OSS
  5. Gillette Fat Handle Tech
  6. Parker R90
  7. Gillette Fat Handle Tech
  8. Gillette Slim
This blade don't suit me well in the R41 (2011). I've got some small burns on the neck, but ... the performance speaks for itself.

proxy.php

5 shaves and there is still life in this blade.

1. Gillette Slim
  2. Gillette Fat Handled Tech
  3. Fatip Piccolo razor head on Gillette common handle
  4. Gillette Super Speed X3
  5. Gillette Fat Handled Tech
An egyptian blade again :)
Well, I'm really impressed by these blades. Same here.
5 BBS shaves (full face) !

Last edited:
proxy.php

1. iKon OSS
  2. Gillette NEW SC
  3. Merkur Futur
  4. Merkur 985CL with Fatip chrome razor head base plate
  5. Gillette NEW SC
Nothing to complain. 5 BBS shaves. No burns. Great blade.

I did two more shaves on before used

6'th. Big Ben
9'th. Bolzano

Both in a Gillette Slim
Perfect !

Last edited:
I just discovered this thread. It has been great fun catching up with your blade tests. I especially liked the bit about the numbers on the blades because I also flip mine after every shave. I thought perhaps I was the only psycho out there who did that.

My blade testing procedure is a bit different than yours. Just for fun, here it is. I load an Astra SP (my control blade) into one razor and the test blade into an identical razor. Then I shave the right side with razor A and the left with razor B (credit Oscroft). I have 2 razor pairs: Lord L6 1822 and Gillette SC NEW. Every half-way decent blade gets at least 4 shaves (I switch sides and then razors)
For the blades that go on the I-need-to-try-this-again list, I also try them out in one or two other favorite razors. Except for the really terrible blades (i.e., Derby, Blue Bird, and 7am), I am having great fun with this adventure. It is very slow, however, because if I am rushed, the results get skewed. So, tests are left for the 2 or 3 leisurely shaves that I get each week (if I am lucky).

Onward! вперед!

Winblows, I'm interested in your views on the Gillette 7 o'clock blades. I tried the yellows and they left me raw. How do the green, blue and black compare?

I've actually started flipping my blades after each shave after reading this thread :).

@Winblows,

You might enjoy the series of blade comparisons conducted by Oscroft, a forum member in the UK. See the list to date here.

Thanks, always interesting to read things like that :).

1. Gillette Slim - perfect
2. iKon OSS - perfect
3. Merkur Futur - perfect
4. Merkur Futur - some nicks, maybe because of the hurry
5. Merkur Futur - some nicks
6. Merkur Futur - more nicks

out

:mellow:
Winblows, I'm interested in your views on the Gillette 7 o'clock blades. I tried the yellows and they left me raw. How do the green, blue and black compare?
Blacks - Rolls Royce (I only buy them in Nepal)
Blue - second
Green - nice
Yellow - I like them

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Merkur 34C and Merkur blades. I have to say, I was not impressed with the Merkur blades. I have since gone to a CVS and purchased their store brand blades and was fairly impressed with my first 2 shaves. However, my third shave was less than stellar requiring multiple passes to remove stubble. That being said, the CVS blades seem to me to be better than the Merkur blades that I had originally purchased. As a newbie, I am always willing to try something new and will continue my search for the ultimate blade.
My 2 cents.

I recently purchased a Merkur 34C and Merkur blades. I have to say, I was not impressed with the Merkur blades. I have since gone to a CVS and purchased their store brand blades and was fairly impressed with my first 2 shaves. However, my third shave was less than stellar requiring multiple passes to remove stubble. That being said, the CVS blades seem to me to be better than the Merkur blades that I had originally purchased. As a newbie, I am always willing to try something new and will continue my search for the ultimate blade.
My 2 cents.
I'm not impressed by Merkur blades eather. Try a Timor blade. I like them much.

I'm just amazed by the amounts of shaves you get from every blade, your beard must be rather thankful and the technique awesome :). Guess I'm going to have to try some of the blades you've tried, but still got around 80 feather blades waiting for me :).

I'm just amazed by the amounts of shaves you get from every blade, your beard must be rather thankful and the technique awesome :). Guess I'm going to have to try some of the blades you've tried, but still got around 80 feather blades waiting for me :).
Good idea. I'll give a Feather a try next time.
My beard is NOT thankful. I have some "tricky" spots, but I learned how to handle them. Beside, I have a job, that don't require an everyday shave :biggrin1:

Good idea. I'll give a Feather a try next time.
My beard is NOT thankful. I have some "tricky" spots, but I learned how to handle them. Beside, I have a job, that don't require an everyday shave :biggrin1:

Hmm, guess the technique is the answer, had almost given up at ATG because of the razor burn it caused in the beginning, but a few days ago I had a whim and had to do it... and I just had a small amount of irritation that didn't last very long (not the agony I recall). Guess I should try to find some unforgiving razor to force an improvement in my skill even further, but guess that the topic for another time and thread :). However, still can't handle my upperlip properly since it's insanely sensitive for me :(, but guess practice makes perfect and I'll find something that works.

However, have you experienced any difference in the amount of shaves a blade can last in different razors? More/Less aggressive razors needing different amounts of passes for the same result and being worn differently? Maybe any differences could just be to small to notice, but really... shouldn't there be a difference?

Top Bottom