What's new

Personal Observation Between Gillette Tech and Gillette NEW Short Comb

As http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Tech says the safety bar was important. But the key manufacturing innovation was the stamped plate, which eventually made its way into TTO designs too.

The Gillette Tech was notable as the first Gillette razor sold with a solid safety bar rather than an open comb guard. From a manufacturing standpoint, the Tech was the first safety razor made with a guard plate stamped from sheet metal. Previously guard plates had been machined or swaged (die-forged) from stock. This technique was patented as US 2,270,388, filed 9 Aug 1938 and issued 20 Jan 1942, and gave the Tech its characteristic diamond-indented guard plate. This depression stiffens the plate. Some UK variants do not have this feature, and may have been stamped from thicker sheet-metal, or may have been machined or swaged.

The plate is clearly stamped, and the cap and handle are also in the style of a Tech. So while an open-comb Tech sounds like an oxymoron, that is what I would call it. Possibly it was made as an experiment, with an eye to keeping an entry-level open-comb in the UK product line? The UK factory made quite a few variations on the standard NEW design, too.

Those stamped teeth look like they might be uncomfortable to use. How does it shave?

The UK factory made quite a few variations on the standard NEW design, too.

They did indeed.
proxy.php

Those stamped teeth look like they might be uncomfortable to use. How does it shave?

The profile of the bottom plate is somewhat similar to the UK Long Comb New and on the face it feels about the same.
The teeth on the OC Tech look sharp but I couldn't feel them. Like a standard Tech the OC is a nice smooth shaver.

Here is a comparison: OCT left, UK LC New right.
$comareTN.jpg

As http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Tech says the safety bar was important. But the key manufacturing innovation was the stamped plate, which eventually made its way into TTO designs too.

The plate is clearly stamped, and the cap and handle are also in the style of a Tech. So while an open-comb Tech sounds like an oxymoron, that is what I would call it. Possibly it was made as an experiment, with an eye to keeping an entry-level open-comb in the UK product line? The UK factory made quite a few variations on the standard NEW design, too.

I think the teeth may protect you more, they look long which may give the blade less contact with your skin.

They did indeed.
proxy.php

The profile of the bottom plate is somewhat similar to the UK Long Comb New and on the face it feels about the same.
The teeth on the OC Tech look sharp but I couldn't feel them. Like a standard Tech the OC is a nice smooth shaver.

Here is a comparison: OCT left, UK LC New right.
View attachment 288364
Xillion, do you own all those razors? That is quite a collection.

So do the UK Variants have a inferior shave due to its lacking the diamond indented guard plate ?

So do the UK Variants have a inferior shave due to its lacking the diamond indented guard plate ?

I doubt it. According to the Tech patent, the diamond indentation was meant to stiffen the guard plate when using thin sheet metal. Where Gillette UK used thicker or stronger material, it would not need stiffening. Some of those UK variants may have been machined or die-forged rather than stamped.

Anyway my only personal experience is with a single example of the Made in England NEW, and I find it shaves as least as well as the USA examples. That fits the general pattern of the UK Gillettes, so I would be surprised if the Tech was an exception.

Yes. That was the first comparison shot I took a while back. It's a bit hard to
see in the scaled down version but the image has my avatar around the edges.

Here is a larger version.

proxy.php
Chris, those are a nice collection, it must have been a lengthy process to collect.

I doubt it. According to the Tech patent, the diamond indentation was meant to stiffen the guard plate when using thin sheet metal. Where Gillette UK used thicker or stronger material, it would not need stiffening. Some of those UK variants may have been machined or die-forged rather than stamped.

Anyway my only personal experience is with a single example of the Made in England NEW, and I find it shaves as least as well as the USA examples. That fits the general pattern of the UK Gillettes, so I would be surprised if the Tech was an exception.

I just read that Stamping is easier than Forging , why did they change or alter the process( was it due to metal tearing)? Cost?

Last edited:
I just read that Stamping is easier than Forging , why did they change or alter the process( was it due to metal tearing)? Cost?

Yes, stamping should be cheaper once the equipment is paid for. The earliest diamond-stamped UK Tech I see on Achim's site is http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1950 (V4 on blade) french Tech Set open handle.JPG from 1950. So from roughly 1939-1949 the UK Tech plates probably were not stamped. Maybe UK management did not want to invest in the equipment - or could not get the equipment, due to the war?

I know 1939 was still the "Phony War" as far as the UK was concerned - but technically they were at war and that affected businesses. There might have been cash-flow problems, or domestic machine production might have been diverted to war efforts. European imports would have been problematic. The various USA Neutrality Acts might have caused problems for imports from the USA until late 1939, and by then they may have decided to put any big changes off for the duration of hostilities. This is just speculation, though. It could also have been as simple as a plant manager who thought stamping out guard plates was beneath him, and stuck to the old ways until he retired.

+1 For all your comments.

When it comes to the blade angle and pressure there is another factor .
That is the perception created due to comments made in forums like this. It goes like this, initially a newb guy trying a NEW without being careful about his technique will pay the price in blood. ( Every time you do it incorrectly). Then he posts his experience on a forum or tells friend about that. With necessary instructions from experienced Guys about correct blade angle and pressure he again reaches the NEW. Mainly due the love of taming the beast that bitten you earlier but this time with much caution.
Presto ..... result is a smooth shave. Those guys seeing his experience try the razor with much caution.
For me, after reading posts saying its a dangerous beast I was so careful with it and got nice shaves from day one.

So now I can get good shaves from either the Tech or NEW. That means it boils down to one factor, its simply your TECHNIQUE.

(How ever IMHO all New razors have small set of sharp teeth that can bite you when ever you become naughty)

Yes, stamping should be cheaper once the equipment is paid for. The earliest diamond-stamped UK Tech I see on Achim's site is http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1950%20(V4%20on%20blade)%20french%20Tech%20Set%20open%20handle.JPG from 1950. So from roughly 1939-1949 the UK Tech plates probably were not stamped. Maybe UK management did not want to invest in the equipment - or could not get the equipment, due to the war?

I know 1939 was still the "Phony War" as far as the UK was concerned - but technically they were at war and that affected businesses. There might have been cash-flow problems, or domestic machine production might have been diverted to war efforts. European imports would have been problematic. The various USA Neutrality Acts might have caused problems for imports from the USA until late 1939, and by then they may have decided to put any big changes off for the duration of hostilities. This is just speculation, though. It could also have been as simple as a plant manager who thought stamping out guard plates was beneath him, and stuck to the old ways until he retired.
Great historical and analictical perspective on the probable causes on why they went with the various manufacturing of the TECH plate. The war and its slow down could have had economical affects on production costs or processes ( plant management's decisions), I am sure that the design team still has its input and i am sure that before any output of plates someone must have done some research to determine the different machining process and it's viable outcome. I mean the English made some of the best razors even though some were identical to the USA versions, still the English razors had the better weight, plating, and overall better quality build.

+1 For all your comments.

When it comes to the blade angle and pressure there is another factor .
That is the perception created due to comments made in forums like this. It goes like this, initially a newb guy trying a NEW without being careful about his technique will pay the price in blood. ( Every time you do it incorrectly). Then he posts his experience on a forum or tells friend about that. With necessary instructions from experienced Guys about correct blade angle and pressure he again reaches the NEW. Mainly due the love of taming the beast that bitten you earlier but this time with much caution.
Presto ..... result is a smooth shave. Those guys seeing his experience try the razor with much caution.
For me, after reading posts saying its a dangerous beast I was so careful with it and got nice shaves from day one.

So now I can get good shaves from either the Tech or NEW. That means it boils down to one factor, its simply your TECHNIQUE.

(How ever IMHO all New razors have small set of sharp teeth that can bite you when ever you become naughty)

That is the beauty of this traditional shaving game. We all are learning something new everyday, including technique or from a historical view. The fun never stops and here on B&B is where it all starts and ends.:thumbup:

Top Bottom