What's new

First bottle of scotch

Well, I just bought my first bottle of scotch. A bottle of Macallan 12. I won't be tasting it for a few hours, as it is only 10am here. I did open it though to smell it. Absolutely amazing. I have always wanted to try scotch. So tonight will be my first glass of scotch. More than likely I will have it on the rocks.

Macallan is a great start. I think you'll be best served the way you're going. Start on the rocks and the more your able to enjoy the drink, move to the drink neat. If your really looking to enjoy the macallan, try an Oliva O series Robusto cigar.the combo is snynonomous with "winning"

Macallan is a great start. I think you'll be best served the way you're going. Start on the rocks and the more your able to enjoy the drink, move to the drink neat. If your really looking to enjoy the macallan, try an Oliva O series Robusto cigar.the combo is snynonomous with "winning"

A part of my cringes with the thought of Mac12 on ice, but you may well be correct. I guess I started out on the rocks but boy is a glorious day when you move to neat!

You have a bottle so there is enough to experiment. But when you finish your 3rd drink cork the bottle and set it back on the shelf. Your palate will no longer appreciate the subtle nuances of the scotch. You will never get the full impact that scotch maker had in mind until you have it "neat" as your first drink of the day/night. What you do to your drink is entirely up to you though.

Although I think the Macallan scotches are some of the best-tasting drinks out there, you may detest them. Lots of people swear by Laphroig, Lagavulin or Highland Park but I can't drink them. They are too peaty.

Like shaving it's a true case of YMMV :biggrin1:

Well, there you go. It looks like my first glass will be neat. I can always add ice or a splash of water later. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Later isn't going to get here soon enough.

Please, no ice and no water. Put your hand over the glass while keeping it close to your body, allowing it to warm until you see a light condensation inside the glass, then take a small sip and enjoy.....Scotch can be a very slippery slope. Good choice, I hope you enjoy it.

My first bottle of Scotch was a bottle of Cutty Sark I won at a golf tournament...I dont know if thats good or bad though...I was only 19 at the time...

Just about finished my first glass. I noticed that if I take too big of a sip, all I get is an alcohol taste. I haven't really noticed a burn, but it definitely is warming. It will definitely take a few more glasses, but I can see myself liking this quite a bit.

Just about finished my first glass. I noticed that if I take too big of a sip, all I get is an alcohol taste. I haven't really noticed a burn, but it definitely is warming. It will definitely take a few more glasses, but I can see myself liking this quite a bit.

Remember one thing about YOUR scotch. Drink it YOUR WAY!!!! The are times I enjoy an ice cube (one) in my glass, there are other times I don't. I always have a cold glass of water also.

There will be folks who will say putting ice or water in the scotch is BAD, single malts are great blends suck, etc..etc..etc.. I listen to advice, try things but always have my scotch the way I like it. Bottom line is enjoy your scotch the way you like it best.

Last night I had a bit of Chivas 18 year old while watching UFC. It was very nice, a rather smooth light tasting scotch.

Enjoy!!

Let me add two of my favorites, which seem to have a little of the best that all of Scotland has to offer (though I admit to spending no more than $60 for a bottle): Caol Ila 12 and Talisker 10.

If you like scotch, you need to experiment with some blends also, unless you can afford to pay absurd prices for a glass of single malt when out on the town.

What is Chivas Regal like, or is their a better blended scotch to try first? I am not limited by selection, most of the scotch's I have seen on the forums I can get locally. I plan on experimenting with the Macallan tonight. Plan on trying it with a touch of water. Thanks again for the information.

Last edited:
I definitely liked it better with a touch of water. The flavor really opened up. Will have to see what it is like on the rocks next.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If I am drinking a good single malt I prefer it neat. If I am out somewhere and all they have is blended I will order it on the rocks. The melting ice seems to improve the taste of the blend, but not totally dilute it like water.

Bottom line is have fun with it, try different things until you find what you like. When I first started drinking scotch I drank it on the rocks. Then a more experienced scotch afficianado explained the benefits of drinking it neat, with a splash of water, with one or two ice cubes, and with a glass of water on the side. Now I mix it up and sometimes add a good cigar, but that's another forum.

Top Bottom