What's new

Semogue Caravela - LE to the Extreme

PS, sorry Jessie - I know that list of "break in" soaps is making you wince a bit. I just don't keep any cheap stuff around.

No worries, Josh. The only "problem" I have is with Tabac. Ugh! I hate the smell so much, the soap never touches the bristles of anything I own.

^^ I concur, Tabac makes me feel/smell like I shaved with my grandmother's hairspray- Aquanet to be precise I think.

Two uses and I can already say this brush is going to be a keeper. A little scritchy on the first use, but noticeably softer on the second. I think I'm going to use this for a month straight to get it nice and broke in before going back to the rotation. Plenty of backbone and density for me. For $45, what an absolute steal!

Well, I'm going to keep talking to myself here. 3 uses in and this is becoming one of my favorites! I'm giddy with anticipation at where this baby is going to be in a month. Semogue really nailed this one and of the LEs I own (2009 boar, and semogue blue), I already like this one better.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
So far I'm really liking this brush! It has nice backbone, good flow through, and just bit of scritch without being at all scratchy. While the handle is not the most ergonomic design, I did not find it at all awkward to use. In fact the richness of the handle's color has repeatedly caught my eye as I've used it. This has added a new and surprising element to the enjoyment of using this brush.

$Caravela Post-Bloom.jpg

So far I'm really liking this brush! It has nice backbone, good flow through, and just bit of scritch without being at all scratchy. While the handle is not the most ergonomic design, I did not find it at all awkward to use. In fact the richness of the handle's color has repeatedly caught my eye as I've used it. This has added a new and surprising element to the enjoyment of using this brush.

View attachment 181906

I'm actually really digging the handle. Works pretty well for my hands. I bet in a couple weeks this sucker has no scritch remaining.

On a side note, do I recognize that Darwin?

I really like the handle a lot myself, the brush is really improving with every use (4x) now. I am still sticking with my belief that this thing has near the backbone of my 620, if nothing else it is a very unique brush that will be staying around for the long haul. used it with a cream today, seems criminal with the way it munches soap.

Ian

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I'm actually really digging the handle. Works pretty well for my hands. I bet in a couple weeks this sucker has no scritch remaining.

On a side note, do I recognize that Darwin?

:biggrin: No, that's our "user" Deluxe, so we don't put wear and tear on the case of the cased Darwin Deluxe.
Actually this is the Darwin my husband currently uses while I'm using the Standard I bought from you. We're testing out various blades to try and find a blade we both like in the Darwin as much as the no longer made Iridium.

:biggrin: No, that's our "user" Deluxe, so we don't put wear and tear on the case of the cased Darwin Deluxe.
Actually this is the Darwin my husband currently uses while I'm using the Standard I bought from you. We're testing out various blades to try and find a blade we both like in the Darwin as much as the no longer made Iridium.

Iridiums were my favorite blade for it as well. I found Shark SS, red personnas and crystals to work quite well too (at least if I recall that as it's been awhile ago now).

i got mine yesterday. it sat in the post office since the 11th. nice feel, i didn't smell any funk, but when i did an arko lather clean, i got the napthalene scent big time. excited to use this. i wonder if i can get this in a 27mm knot....

I received my Caravela LE #15 about a month ago and there is no odor at all. It is like my other Semogue LE's very unique and they have a tremendous amount of thought, testing, and feedback from many of our friends on these Boards. Mostly I use the 2009 LE Badger with horn handle and have not used the two newest ones yet. Anticipation.....? Here are some pictures and one is with a NIB Pre-Vulfix Beaufort 6 that I just got yesterday.

Attachments

• $Caravela LE.JPG
    $Caravela LE.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 133
  • $rCaravela LE Beaufort Sommerset.JPG
    $rCaravela LE Beaufort Sommerset.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 133
Just got back from a week at the beach and had #88 waiting for me, along with some 444. And a fountain pen....which I need ink for.
It smelled pretty bad, so I gave it a bath with some Sandalwood and then some XXX. It's going to need a few more scrubs, i'm going to bust out a puck
of VDH deluxe, possibly arko. I really like the brush though.

The Caravela impressed me today in the performance department. It's rapidly improving in the area of 2nd pass lather quality/quantity, and scritch is decreasing as boar hairs split. Soap of the day was Cade, which is certainly easy enough to lather, but the Caravela got the best out of it.

I'm calling this one a keeper, even though the boar hair has barely begun to break in. Heck of a brush for just over $40.

Top Bottom