What's new

What annoys you?

I think another term is 'loan shark'. When ppl are that desperate they roll all their debt into a car or even worse, refinance it into their home wiping out their equity, they should have the option of financial counseling without penalty. The debt counseling services that offer help and restructure ding a credit rating severely.

I would like to see our schools require a full credit class of 'real life' finances to learn how to manage money, debt to income ratios, the real meaning of their credit rating and how it affects all payments including insurance premiums, etc.

What happens is they receive plastic, usually before graduation and most haven't a clue.
Sue

Agreed. I'm 21, going to graduate college in May, and have no idea how buying houses, cars, even paying back student loans works. But I guess I'll find out.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I see women dig in their purses for their check books after the total comes up. They don't know they'll be paying with a check beforehand? They don't know the store they're shopping at to write it on the "Pay to the Order of" line while everything's being rung up? Or the date? By the time the total comes up, the check should only need the dollar amount filled in and written on the line. People worried about signing a check without a total on it could wait to sign it, I guess... if they have a fast signature! :mad:

In general, I just can't stand people who pay by check at all. The way I see it, the only reason to pay by check (short of huge checks for the down payment on a home and the like) is if you don't currently have the money- they're out of cash and have no credit. Whenever I see someone writing a check I say "That's gonna bounce."

In general, I just can't stand people who pay by check at all. The way I see it, the only reason to pay by check (short of huge checks for the down payment on a home and the like) is if you don't currently have the money- they're out of cash and have no credit. Whenever I see someone writing a check I say "That's gonna bounce."

Although I agree with the sentiments about how annoying it is to stand in line behind someone who's paying with a check (I've been trying to get my parents to quit paying with checks for years now and just use the damned debit card like everyone else), your snap judgment about people who write checks and their financial situations is dead wrong. The way I see it, it's actually pretty responsible. With the electronic conversion and online check approval systems that most merchants use nowadays, writing an ISF check will come back to bite you as quick as if you did it with your debit card. My folks are just "used" to paying the old-fashioned way, and like the extensive paper trail (recycled paper checks, of course). And they've never bounced a check in their lives.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm sure your folks, and everyone in their age group, are fine. Anyone else with a checkbook in hand is a deadbeat. :lol:

I see women dig in their purses for their check books after the total comes up. They don't know they'll be paying with a check beforehand? They don't know the store they're shopping at to write it on the "Pay to the Order of" line while everything's being rung up? Or the date? By the time the total comes up, the check should only need the dollar amount filled in and written on the line. People worried about signing a check without a total on it could wait to sign it, I guess... if they have a fast signature! :mad:

+20

Women paying cash do this too! They stand there for 5 minutes while the cashier rings everything up- they're staring off into space...When the cashier finishes, they start digging around in their giant purse trying to find their wallet....then they futz around in the wallet trying to find pennies an dimes! :mad2:

Jordan

Here's another pet peeve of mine. I don't understand it when I pull into a parking spot, especially when it's a literally vacant parking lot, that some idiot has to pull in right beside me. Can't you park so that there is an empty space between us so that we can get in & out of our cars without the possiblity of banging into each other????

I would completely understand if it is at the mall or something & that's the only spot. But if there are 100 empty spots in a row & I park in #50, can't you friggin' park somewhere other than #49 or #51??

Ummm.. writing checks in no way means you are broke... LOL Some of us are old fashioned. I've only had my debit card a year or so, and only got it once gas prices made in mandatory to pre-pay for fuel at all the stations I haunt. I will admit, I like using the card.. much easier than checks.. but 2 or 3 folks I work with have had $500-1000+ disappear out of their checking accounts this year due to fraud based on debit cards. I know the banks gives your money back, but having my cash disappear stresses me out just a bit. :cursing: No one has tapped my debit card, but someone racked up about $2500 on one of my credit cards a few months ago (and no, it wasn't my wife 'grin'); all charges were cancelled, but it got my attention.

People who do not watch out for cyclists who are legally sharing the road with cars. When I bike to school/work, I follow every single traffic law, yet still, drivers treat me like road scum. I have taken to yelling at every driver who cuts me off/does not see me/forces me off the road. I have had a few cars stop when I starting swearing at them, but then nearby pedestrians also start yelling at the car, and the driver hangs his head in shame and drives off.

The closest I have been to starting a fight so far was a city worker. I was biking in my bike lane, going straight, and the city worker passed me going too fast and turned right, cutting me off and almost causing my second accident. I justly swore loudly at him, he stopped his truck, got out and started walking towards me. I was straddling my bike at the time and began to get off when a pedestrian on the sidewalk next to me also started shouting at the city work saying things like "YOU F**KER, YOU ALMOST KILLED THAT BIKER!!!" He looked around at all the witnesses, got back in his truck and drove away.

I swear.... makes me so angry. One bike accident for me is enough. The ER is not my favorite place in the world.

People who do not watch out for cyclists who are legally sharing the road with cars. When I bike to school/work, I follow every single traffic law, yet still, drivers treat me like road scum. I have taken to yelling at every driver who cuts me off/does not see me/forces me off the road. I have had a few cars stop when I starting swearing at them, but then nearby pedestrians also start yelling at the car, and the driver hangs his head in shame and drives off.

The closest I have been to starting a fight so far was a city worker. I was biking in my bike lane, going straight, and the city worker passed me going too fast and turned right, cutting me off and almost causing my second accident. I justly swore loudly at him, he stopped his truck, got out and started walking towards me. I was straddling my bike at the time and began to get off when a pedestrian on the sidewalk next to me also started shouting at the city work saying things like "YOU F**KER, YOU ALMOST KILLED THAT BIKER!!!" He looked around at all the witnesses, got back in his truck and drove away.

I swear.... makes me so angry. One bike accident for me is enough. The ER is not my favorite place in the world.

Some crazy guy once yelled "GET OUT OF THE ROAD MAN!!" as I rode past his driveway in the street. Normally I have something pretty witty to say in situations like this, but all I could do was give him a blank stare with my mouth open. His was the second house down from the corner where on the sidewalk it says "NO BYCICLES". :out:

Michael, there are two sides to this argument: I see far too many cyclists who don't seem to think that they are subject to the rules of the road - or perhaps they're just ignorant of said rules.

Gus and Cory, a society gets the leaders it deserves. Perhaps Georgie-boy is more of a reflection of American society than you think.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I can see getting upset at being cut-off by a car, but just like motorcycle drivers are taught, always assume you are invisible. Yelling and swearing only makes you look like a fool, instead of the other guy.

I know you are probably more conscious than the average driver, because you are a cyclist, but have you ever had a close call with something that you just didn't notice? I once had a cyclist t-bone my car while at a stop sign, because he was not paying attention, driving rather fast and came around a fence/blind corner right into me and flew across my hood as I sat there dead stopped. I didn't swear at him for scratching my car, even though he was completely wrong, (wasn't even riding on the road until he decided to cross where my car was). I was worried he might be hurt, but before I could find out, he jumped back on his bike and took off.

Gus and Cory, a society gets the leaders it deserves. Perhaps Georgie-boy is more of a reflection of American society than you think.

True. While I didn't vote for him in either election, there was obviously a segment of the populace who did and their voice was heard...but then again, so was the voice of the Supreme Court in 2000.

Top Bottom