What's new

Mustard...

Thanks, these seem up my alley, I just got the Kuhne brand (german) hot mustard and Thomy brand extra hot. So, I'd have to give these a shot.

Give them a shot. The bright (and for lack of a better word) "high" taste is a departure from many of the other high-quality offerings available. As I said this is a "yellow" mustard. Ordinarily "yellow" mustards are not something I would associate with extra-high quality mustards (which tend to be brown mustards). But this is the best yellow mustard I've tried. And it works wonderfully with food and in salad dressings. It is something "different" from the other mustards out there, and I think you will really like it. I certainly do.

Bill

I like this stuff ... buy it as a powder, mix it up 1:1 with water just before serving ... its wicked hot!

proxy.php

:devil: :mad5: :spockflam :bayrum2: AMEN!!

The brand that I normally use these days is Stadium Mustard, which is made in Cleveland. It's a really good, flavorful brown mustard that has very little heat to it. Perfect on hot dogs and great with a lot of other foods as well.

I have been experimenting with various brands of mustard. One style that I have been burned out on for years is the honey-mustard varieties.

I like this stuff ... buy it as a powder, mix it up 1:1 with water just before serving ... its wicked hot!

proxy.php

It really is, clears your sinuses and makes your eyes water. That ratio is a bit strong for me so I go for a weaker mix add a little sugar, cider vinegar, tumeric, delicious and it'll keep.

proxy.php

You sir, are a genius! I've seen this forever but always used whole mustard seeds ground as fine as I could. It was always good, just not hot at all. So today I mixed up this powder, pretty thick. Wow. Watered my eyes just mixing it. Awesome taste. Gonna use it on a turkey sandwich in a few minutes. :thumbup:

Ken

Try to find a mustard with horseradish. I like Boar's Head.

Is Kosciusko Mustard still made? A great New York area mustard with horseradish. It was a staple in my house growing up in NJ. For a while I was able to find it up here in NH, but it has disappeared.

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, Kosciusko came in glass mugs which were able to be used as drinking glasses after you finished the mustard. We musta had dozens of them....

EDIT-- Just Googled. Yes, Kosciusko is still made. But it's owned by Plochman's now and now longer comes in the small glass mug.

Last edited:
Löwensenf Mustard is the best mustard I've ever had. period. It's German style and has quite a kick. My favorite is the Extra Scharfer Senf, but the others are very good. You can find it online, at Whole Foods, or at almost every German deli or bakery.

We've used it for sandwiches, brats, as a rub on pot roast, in Marinades, and in potato salads... It's excellent stuff and highly recommended.

I have a friend who doesn't like mustard and it literally makes me uncomfortable around him, I just can't understand.

I started to love inglehoffer when I lived in Oregon, it is really delicious and comes in lots of styles, original stone ground is my favorite :thumbup1:

If you like your mustard hot and you're ever in Belgium, you must go to this place:
http://www.tierenteyn-verlent.be/
It's always full of foodie tourists and around christmastime lots of locals buy big jars to send to their friends overseas. But be careful with it, it will bring you to tears if you're not.

Moutarde de Meaux is expensive, comes in an impractical crock, and is like making out with an angel.

proxy.php

Moutarde de Meaux. Make out with an angel.

I tried the Colmans powdered mustard because of this thread. I wanted to thank all who've suggested it. I've always seen that little tin at the store and thought "who would want to mix their own yellow mustard when there's twenty in a squeeze bottle for half the price?". That first taste about knocked me down, literally. If you are trying this mustard for the first time, do not try a teaspoon of it straight from the bowl. :blushing:

proxy.php

Love the stuff.

For something milder with a nice ham sandwich I like to use grain mustard.

Just come across this while "Bing-ing"
proxy.php

For the colemans, try adding a bit of oil (I use olive oil) to the mix, it adds a lot of body. And if you use vinegar, while it does have preservitive action, it does mitigate the heat. I make it fresh when I want to use it

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Unbearded"
The Mrs. and I leans towards Grey Poupon is a brand of Dijon mustard for it's moderately sharp, vinegar aroma that give a 'hint of modest horseradish. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

Top Bottom