What's new

1st Tabac purchase... EDC or EDT?

Hey all first post here.

Well, you all have convinced me to buy some tabac.

1. Where can I get the best deal on it?

2. EDC or EDT? and why

3. any other tabac's worth trying such as tabac silver etc etc

Thanks homies!

coll. So i checked out that base notes site and I think I am set on the EDC where is a good place to buy it. would they have it at like nordstroms or something like that? or is online a better buy

Hey all first post here.

2. EDC or EDT? and why

Thanks homies!

Thanks for posting, HD! Welcome.

I do not have an answer for 1. For 2, clearly the EDC is the more popular around here and I thing most places. I own both. As I recall the EDT is sweeter and more flowery. I much prefer the EDC myself. The AS has yet another variation the overall scent and as I recall I like it even more.

Re 3, not that I know of, although I am really not familiar with them.

ordered it on that freagrancenet site dennard recomended. best deal I could find. I also got a 3$ sample of l'eau D'issey heard that one was good too but it is EDT

ordered it on that freagrancenet site dennard recomended. best deal I could find. I also got a 3$ sample of l'eau D'issey heard that one was good too but it is EDT

Excellent. I really like Issey.

By the way, just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with EDTs as compared with EDCs. :001_smile Most scents do not have an EDC and an EDT version, and EDT is generally my preference as in theory it should be stronger and thus provde more tenacity.

In fact, off the top of my head, I cannot think of any scent other than Tabac which has an EDC and an EDT version which are rather different. Sometimes scents have, say, an EDC or EDT and an eau de parfume version, and those versions smell different. But I think that is usually a function of the strength of the scent, not an intentional difference, as smells to be true as to Tabac EDC and Tabac EDT.

I know one of the D R Harris scents is quite different between the AS and the EDT or cologne version, but that seems very oddball to me!:001_smile

yeah that is what surprised me about tabac. About a year ago when I first became interested in cologne I researched pretty heavily about it. I remember I saw somewhere about how there is a rank stratification in which it is something like parfum, then eau de parfum, cologne, eau de cologne, and eau de toliet with this being in refrence to strength of the scent oils.

So I was surprised that so many people claimed a difference between the two that was so contrasting.

I am excited for the issey but man that **** is expensive something like 100 bucks for 2 OZ? LOLOLOLOLOL

No way you should have to pay that much for Issey, unless I confused and what you are getting is some special version of it--at least as far as I know!

The strength order should be more like perfume ("pure parfum" is a term sometimes used which may indicate there is not even alcohol in the mix), eau de perfume, eau de toilet, eau de cologne. I do not know if there is a diffference between edc and "cologne" and I would say that strength varies in not necessarily a direct line with what the maker calls it!

I should have bought the shave soap first but I did not resist to hard not to buy the cologne first. This is the only cologne I have ever seen so widely praised to the degree it is across the web with the price of it in consideration to other well known brands.

Really excited to try it and hope I can pull it off. I am 20 hope it won't make me smell "old" JK guys

Oh yeah thats right perfume, eau de perfume, eau de toillette, eau de cologne, and then cologne... I think. I don't know I dont want to look that up. I did found the Issey one and it was 90 bucks for 4 oz too high for me right now

2. EDC or EDT? and why
I'd suggest the EdC. The EdT is, as far as the Tabac Original family goes, rather flowery. Not in a bad way, but still something of an outlier. If you get the EdC you have a better idea what to expect of the AS, AS balm, shower gel and deo roll-on, should it come to that. The soaps are smokier, and carry a more pungent sharp-soapy undertone.

Occasionally I wear Gran Valor, but only in winter. It's too heavy for summer use, at least for me.

As for reactions of the ladies: Tabac certainly isn't your average modern synthetic blueish silverish Axe-like fragrance. And despite being readily available over here, I rarely notice it on other males. My partner loves it, and to date I haven't had negative responses from others. All that said, how you wear the fragrance is also important in how others respond to you.

Last edited:
Do the ladies like it? how would you describe it?
Ladies Love It ... its the only scent in my rotation that gets them to lean in and whisper "You smell good ..."

I like the EdC when I'm stepping fresh out of the shower, and I will use just the EdC for the first two or three hours ... after that, I switch to the EdT to keep freshening up.

I go through about 3 times more EdT than I do EdC, and I take that into account when I re-order.

I'd suggest the EdC. The EdT is, as far as the Tabac Original family goes, rather flowery. Not in a bad way, but still something of an outlier. If you get the EdC you have a better idea what to expect of the AS, AS balm, shower gel and deo roll-on, should it come to that. The soaps are smokier, and carry a more pungent sharp-soapy undertone. . . . .

Occasionally I wear Gran Valor, but only in winter. It's too heavy for summer use, at least for me.

As for reactions of the ladies: Tabac certainly isn't your average modern synthetic blueish silverish Axe-like fragrance. And despite being readily available over here, I rarely notice it on other males. My partner loves it, and to date I haven't had negative responses from others. All that said, how you wear the fragrance is also important in how others respond to you.

Those are really, really good and descriptive notes, especially of the soaps! I am glad to hear from some EDT (as opposed to EDC) fans. They really are different.

Anyone agree with me that the AS really has the best version of the Tabac scent?

I should have bought the shave soap first but I did not resist to hard not to buy the cologne first. This is the only cologne I have ever seen so widely praised to the degree it is across the web with the price of it in consideration to other well known brands.

Really excited to try it and hope I can pull it off. I am 20 hope it won't make me smell "old" JK guys

I think you did best to go for the cologne over the shaving soap. If you do not like the cologne, I think you really are not going to like the way the soap smells. Great soap though. I guess I do not care all that much how my shaving soap smells. Or maybe better put, I like when my shaving soap smells strong and dirty for some reason. Tobaccoey, I suppose! I like the way Arko smells, for instance, but even I sure would never buy that scent as an edt!

I should know, but what is a "JK guy"? For some reason, I do not think I would worry as much about smelling like an old guy with Tabac EDC, as with some other trad scents. For one thing, it is just not that common in the States. For another, many expensive modern scents have a strong tobacco and related scent. I wonder whether Tabac's scent is associated with old guys at all in the States. I will be interested in hearing what you think!

$90 for 4 oz of Issey seems high to me to. I have a big bottle of it I got a long time ago that was not nearly that expensive,. and maybe I am wrong, but I would expect Issey to be past its hey day and available at a discount various places. Someone would would probably be willing to sell you a big decant. 4 oz sounds like a life-time supply. Issey is strong and tenacious!

Hey all first post here.

2. EDC or EDT? and why

Thanks homies!

I'm only aware of "Tabac" and have the cologne, aftershave, and shaving soap. I love it.

One day I was working in another office and some lady made a remark to the effect of "Somebody's wearing something that smells good today." I didn't say anything but I think it was the Tabac on me she smelled. At least I was the only one who doesn't work in that office on a daily basis.

LOL I have been lurking this site for about a year and I always read from you blades about how you hate it when people say a fragrance smells "old" so I said that and then after i said that I said "JK guys" for Just kidding guys. lol sorry!

Top Bottom