What's new

Shaving Attire?

Wouldn't do to lower standards in front of one's valet now, would it.

I get the impression that those who donned shaving jackets were also shaved by their valets. Might have been an interesting addition to Monty Python's "Upper Class Twit" sketch.

TG well done! A topic not covered yet in five years of shave geekery!:thumbup1:

It seems to me that to fully understand the use of such an item we would need to place it in the context of its use. Prior to indoor plumbing,( and heating systems) I can see how the robe would protect ones clothing while shaving with a tradition scuttle and a straight.

If you guys aren't sick of me telling you this yet, I currently live in a college dorm. Sometimes when I shave a I wear a robe (especially now that it's getting colder) and I use the giant pockets to hold my aftershave and, if the soap I'm using comes in a screw-top container, the soap when I'm not using it. :thumbup1:

Apparently at some time there was an item of a man's wardrobe called a "shave coat" or "shaving jacket". Near as I can figure with my rather weak Google-Fu it started out as a rather spendy item a Victorian dandy would own...Silk, elaborately lined, perhaps with cording and lapels and rather like a smoking jacket, but you wore it when shaving, an item completely separate from the pajamas, night gown, dressing gown, bath robe and whatever the heck else those guys had in those vast closets.

At some point this thing evolved and became a sort of short robe with pockets that was manufactured for the masses. Poking around on the innerwebs I've seen some short sleeved examples, and some long sleeved, but they are both called "shave coats". When I was a kid I remember my dad having something like this.

This got me thinking (uh-oh), and since we have discussed every other aspect of shave geekery, what about shaving attire?

For me, in the evening it's mostly strip to the waist and have at it, although the rarer morning or weekend shave sometimes gets done in a fleece robe, and now that I think about it it does add a certain leisurely air to the proceedings.

Does anybody out there give any thought at all shaving garb?

Is there a market for a modern day luxury shave coat, perhaps with a B&B logo?

What does any of this have to do with Williams or the Veg, anyway? :blink:

What works for me is a large, loose-fitting polo shirt, or something without collars so I won't get shaving cream on it.

If immediately before or after shower.... birthday suit is sufficient. If just a touch up shave and no shower, I strip to the waist. :001_cool:

This is actually a very nice idea, why I didn't I think of this myself? Anyway, what do we google to get a modern in production shaving robe/jacket?

Another one for the towel around the waist right after the shower. On the occasion I haven't showered before I'll strip to my waist or, if someone is likely to see me who I think might get offended . . . I mean intimidated by my awesome six pack :lol: I'll keep my vest (undershirt) on. Somehow shaving in the nude outside the shower would make me feel somewhat . . . exposed.

Top Bottom