What's new

HDMI - To Monster or Not To Monster

I plan on buying some more HDMI cables. The first time I spent a lot on Monster cables. Now searching on eBay I see losts of cables for a lot less. Is there only difference between HDMI cables? I can get two 5ft cables for $5.99 from one vendor, could this be too good to be true?

Last edited:
Monster cables are a total ripoff and hawked by RadioShack employees because they make a huge commission when they sell them. "Futureproofing" as they say also be damned.

My experience is that Monster cables are of good quality both with A/V and durability.
I've tried a lot of different cables during my stereophilic life, and I have now setteled with Monster cables exclusively, because I know they work.
I've had cheap no-name cables that have worked fine to, so don't get me wrong, but I get some kind of satisfaction in using cables that I know is made of some of the best conducors and material. I've had some issues with no-name cables where they have too high resistance that have given poor sound quality, and that they just have stoped working after a while.
I agree that the Moster cables are overprized, and you certanly can get good cables for less money, like the high grade Hama cables.
But I wouldn't go for the cheapes no-names.

My experience is that Monster cables are of good quality both with A/V and durability.
I've tried a lot of different cables during my stereophilic life, and I have now setteled with Monster cables exclusively, because I know they work.
I've had cheap no-name cables that have worked fine to, so don't get me wrong, but I get some kind of satisfaction in using cables that I know is made of some of the best conducors and material. I've had some issues with no-name cables where they have too high resistance that have given poor sound quality, and that they just have stoped working after a while.
I agree that the Moster cables are overprized, and you certanly can get good cables for less money, like the high grade Hama cables.
But I wouldn't go for the cheapes no-names.

It sounds like you're talking about analog audio cables. The OP asked about HDMI cables. With digital signals either the cable transmits the signal or it doesn't. There isn't any degradation or lessening of the signal. Broken digital cables may flicker or drop part of the signal depending on what is actually broken, but as long as the connection is complete there is no difference between the digital signal carried by a $10 cable than there is by a $50 one.

If you really like them then look at the key specs, then go online and find another cable that has the same specs. There are lots out there that don't have a big name yet.
You pay too much for the monster name.
Don't even get me started on optical cables. That's the biggest scam of them all.

It sounds like you're talking about analog audio cables. The OP asked about HDMI cables. With digital signals either the cable transmits the signal or it doesn't. There isn't any degradation or lessening of the signal. Broken digital cables may flicker or drop part of the signal depending on what is actually broken, but as long as the connection is complete there is no difference between the digital signal carried by a $10 cable than there is by a $50 one.

Yes, I know, I was speaking more in general, meaning that some of the cheapest cables avaliable is less than poor quality i.e. I bought a cheap HDMI on internet, that the connector didn't fit into the HDMI slot on my TV.
But I totally agree that there are a lot of usable cables that cost a third or fourth of Monster cables.

Stobes is absolutely right.. for digital, the signal either makes it or it doesn't.. you don't need expensive cables.
-\Visdom

They seem fine enough, but i have had excellent results w/ monoprice. If you click on my link in the above post, you can read the reviews of the specific cable which gives you an extra foot of length and is wrapped. But if you feel comfrotable w/ the ones from the bay, go for it. Digital signals are basically information of zeros and ones(off/on)-either it works or it doesn't. No need to pad Monster's pockets.

marty

I refuse to support a company that tries to sue every business or organization with the word "Monster" in the name. Google monster lawsuit for specifics. As far as the Monster cables go, they are no better or worse than anything from Monoprice or Tartan, or Blue Jeans.

Monster cable apparently believes that they have a "copyright" on the word 'Monster', and any business that uses that word is in violation of the law. I think they even threatened to sue the Boston Red Sox for their use of the phrase "Green Monster", referring to the outfield wall in Fenway park. Or a threatened lawsuit against the Chicago Bears for the phrase "Monsters of the Midway". Yeah, good luck with that. Monster Cable's owner is a ?!&%". Of course the company is incorporated in the Bahamas or Bermuda, I forget which. Tax shelter , of course.

Last edited:
In the northeast, we have a chain of salvage stores called Ocean State Job Lot. I got a six foot HMDI cable for $5.99. It works perfectly connected from my son's PS3 to a 32" LCD TV.

Don't bother with expensive.

Jeff in Boston

HDMI is a digital signal it's pretty much all or nothing. Cable quality will have no effect on it.

Only analogue audiophile equipment would really show a benifit from better quality cables.

The only time you have to worry about cable quality is if you're going to be plugging and unplugging it a lot - the cheaper cables do tend to break quicker. If you're plugging it in and forgetting about it, go with monoprice or bluejean.

I just got a Playstation 3 and looked into HDMI cables. I called Radioshack and the guy on the phone told me that I needed to get some for $100. I said, "I'm not going to pay $100 for cables. What's the next cheapest?" He said $50. I ended up buying mine on monoprice.com for a total of, including shipping and handling, $5.96. It looks terrific.

Everywhere I looked, people stressed not to spend a fortune on cables.

Top Bottom