What's new

Dandruff CURE?

I did a quick search but I didn't seem to find anything. I've been through 2 bottles of H&S before but as soon as I stop using it the dandruff comes back.

Can anyone help me? I think the whole dandruff thing is kinda disgusting.

Rosemary oil is supposed to be helpful (try a shampoo bar made with it) or OTC, nizoral shampoo contains a fungicide which kills a fungus that can be responsible for dandruff. Also, be sure that you're not over shampooing and drying out your scalp.

First of all, good old fashioned regular and thorough brushing of your hair with a good quality brush should be part of your daily routine, this can help by exfoliating and stimulating blood flow to the scalp.

Also, carry on using an off the shelf anti-dandruff shampoo daily. Ensure you massage it thouroughly into your scalp, again helping stimulate blood flow. It is important to keep the hair and scalp clean, so be mindful of the styling products you appy to your hair, these will not help.

The previous two steps should be enough to control dandruff for most people but be patient and bear with it, results will not be instant, bank on a minimum of three weeks.

If you are still not having any luck your pharmacist should be able to recommend a medicated shampoo to suit your needs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
+1 on the Nizoral.

I use it twice a week (weekends) and no dandruff for the rest of the week. No other product I have tried completely eliminates the dandruff like Nizoral.

Your dandruff may not be caused by the same issue as mine so as always YMMV

some advice i got was to switch between different kinds of dandruff shampoo, like with tea tree, or the various different active ingredients

try dissolving several aspirin tablets in your dollop of shampoo it will help exfoliate, strip the hair of old products and help treat the dandruff, salt also works

I actually place a few drops 10-20 of Tea Tree oil in every bottle of shampoo and conditioner I use, even HS. I use to buy expensive Tea Tree shampoos but drops are much more economical and my hair is now very healty. Also as dignifried suggested a good brushing every day helps as well. There are many brands of Tea Tree oils, right now I am using JASON, but Desert Essence and Thursday Plantation are great as well.

Here is some more info:
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/TeaTreeOil.htm

Hope it helps.

Chris
(xillion)

Last edited:
I had dandruff basically from age 14 onwards, and coupled with dark hair, it was not a pleasant affliction in the least. Despite the fact that I used Head and Shoulders exclusively for years, the problems persisted. If you try an off-the-shelf anti-dandruff shampoo find it doesn't work for you, I highly reccomend J.R. Liggett's Bar Shampoo (I use the tea tree and hemp oil variety). Now I wash my hair 4 times a week because my hair stays cleaner for longer, and not a speck of dandruff in sight. The fact that it's made from completely natural ingredients doesn't hurt, either. Don't buy directly from their website as it's vastly overpriced there; the best price I've found is at VitaCost.com.

I have heard apple cider vinegar on scalp does wonders? Never tried it though.:out:

Well as it so happens I actually tried that earlier this week. I did treated my scalp three times already and it actually seems to be working quite well. No flaking or nothing since the second time. Of course, it's not without its drawbacks. Seeing as you have to sit there for about 15 minutes or so stinking on cider vinegar, but it works.

Most persistent dandruff is actually seborrhea. Seborrhea is caused by a fungal infection; that's why Nizoral works so well.

However, Selsun Blue also seems to kill the fungus pretty well (or any shampoo whose active ingredient is selenium sulfide).

My advice? Pick up a bottle of a selenium sulfide shampoo or Nizoral (whichever is cheaper); use it 3 times/week for two weeks, then twice a week. Use a mild shampoo the other times you wash your hair. When using selenium sulfide or Nizoral, massage the shampoo into your scalp at the beginning of your shower, leave it on the scalp the entire time, then rinse it off at the end. At first it will seem to make the problem slightly worse, then it will get better.

If that doesn't work, try mixing a salicylic acid containing shampoo one-to-one with a selenium sulfide containing shampoo (you can get travel bottles to use for this). Use it twice a week, as above.

If that doesn't work, see a dermatologist.

Here is an advice from somebody who used to have a LOT of dandruff.
No need for special shampoo or expensive products.
Just go at the grocery and buy a bottle of apple cider vinegar.
30 mins before taking your shower(or washing your hair), put some apple cider vinegar on the palm of your hand(around 2-3 tablespoon) and start deep massaging your head and hair whit it for about 2-3 mins.
After let the vinegar on your hairs/head work for about 30 mins.
Then go wash your hairs whit a normal shampoo.
For the first week you should do a shock treatment like i said whit the vinegar 4-5 times.
Once the week is over and more than probably your dandruff problem gone, make the vinegar treatment about 3 times a week.
That's the only thing that worked for me, i had a dandruff problem since the age of 12 yrs old and i discovered that this year and it's all gone.
Try it and tell me about that in a week.
(Btw: avoid products like Eau de Portugal, it gaves me more dandruff)

Last edited:
Most persistent dandruff is actually seborrhea. Seborrhea is caused by a fungal infection; that's why Nizoral works so well.

However, Selsun Blue also seems to kill the fungus pretty well (or any shampoo whose active ingredient is selenium sulfide).

My advice? Pick up a bottle of a selenium sulfide shampoo or Nizoral (whichever is cheaper); use it 3 times/week for two weeks, then twice a week. Use a mild shampoo the other times you wash your hair. When using selenium sulfide or Nizoral, massage the shampoo into your scalp at the beginning of your shower, leave it on the scalp the entire time, then rinse it off at the end. At first it will seem to make the problem slightly worse, then it will get better.

If that doesn't work, try mixing a salicylic acid containing shampoo one-to-one with a selenium sulfide containing shampoo (you can get travel bottles to use for this). Use it twice a week, as above.

If that doesn't work, see a dermatologist.

+1 Selsun Blue works on fungus. We even used it as body wash after wrestling practice to treat and prevent ringworm.

Ugh I had dandruff From about 12 yrs old until high school...I've also been battling seborrhia for the past five years or so...its an ongoing battle...

Recently I've had it occur behind my ear and on my eyebrow as well...the doctor has had me on tricinoclone creme (spelling?) since it started...

I can never get my scalp to clear up 100% and it Always comes back.

Ugh I had dandruff From about 12 yrs old until high school...I've also been battling seborrhia for the past five years or so...its an ongoing battle...

Recently I've had it occur behind my ear and on my eyebrow as well...the doctor has had me on tricinoclone creme (spelling?) since it started...

I can never get my scalp to clear up 100% and it Always comes back.

Welcome to the club.

And it can't be "cured," it can only be controlled.

I use a tea tree shampoo from Sally Beauty and keep my hair shaved with a #2 attachment on the clippers. That is the only way I can do it.

do any of you guys suffer from dermatitis? (seborrhea)

Should i start another thread just about that? i'm looking for tips for that and / or stories from people who have also dealt with it...

Top Bottom