What's new

What Are You Reading?

Currently reading:

From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury

The Life of Francis Marion by William Gilmore Simms

The Philippine War 1999-1902 by Brian McAllister Linn

Currently reading a thread on B&B. Oh, I see what you mean...like, a book right? That would be:

The 5 Things We Cannot Change by David Richo

L

Lo'Tek

Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

I'm also reading this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this,

Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

I'm also reading this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this,

Are you sure your not reading"this" instead?

Not yet. I really want to read An Inconvenient Book, though. Is it as good as this one?

If Beck is your guy and your politics are on par you will enjoy it. If you view him like conservatives view Keith Olberman you'll probably hate it. If you can maintain a neutral or near neutral standpoint it is still a good book as well.

I have been on a crime kick lately. I must have read 4 Michael Connelly novel in four days. I am currently reading The Black Ice and it is a ton of fun. I also bought a bunch of stuff of amazon by Richard Stark, Raymond Chandler, Ian Rankin and the two finnish guys that did the Martin Beck stories. My girlfriend things I am going nuts. Am I the only one here?

Recently finished Don't think of an Elephant. Great book if you are interested about how the political discourse in America is structured. This book is written by George Lakoff, a hardcore progressive, but I think it can be interesting to the more conversatives among us interested in seeing where the debate is going.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. Reading it for a class, but loving it. Recently read A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean (great book), and soon to start on Cien años de solidad por Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I've heard it described as the greatest piece of literature of the 20th century. Has anyone read it (preferably in the original Spanish) who can back that up? Being Colombian, I'm also looking forward to experiencing such an iconic piece of my culture.

Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoevsky. the richard pevear and larissa volokhonsky translation came highly reccomended and i also purchased a few of his others in this translation. good stuff.

Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoevsky. the richard pevear and larissa volokhonsky translation came highly reccomended and i also purchased a few of his others in this translation. good stuff.

I've recently been reading books about Existentialism and seen many references to Dostoevsky as one of the founding fathers of this philosophical movement.

I have no experience in reading Russian novels and don't know where to start.

Could you suggest a "Dostoevsky" book list as to novels, short stories etc.

Thanks

I have no experience in reading Russian novels and don't know where to start.

Get ready to be depressed in general. I liked Crime and Punishment, Brothers Karamozov is a difficult book to get through, it's especially difficult to grasp since he didn't finish the story (I believe he was going to publish a second book). Anyway, Dostoevsky is brilliant, and if you can't sit through Karamozov, read the chapter about the Grand Inquisitor, it was honestly the most important part of the book for me.

Right now I'm reading Good to Great by Jim Collins, it's about a handful of companies that were good companies but shifted gears to outpace the market by about five times and sustain that growth.

Also reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. It's a great book, real easy read. It's about the shift from eating food, which is basic traditional cuisine that our grandparents/great grandparents ate, and the "food" that we eat now. It's not a hippy/vegan book it's just about the focus on nutrients now rather than food. Very interesting to see that stuff like carotenes in carrots aren't as good for you as the carrots themselves are.

just finished Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Tried reading Accellerando by Charles Stross and hated it.

I'm not sure what will be next on the list.

Is anyone else here a librarything user?

Top Bottom