What's new

Even the chain, franchise eating places are going down hill.

We had our grandkids for an unexpected visit a few weeks ago. They hadn’t had anything to eat and wanted to stop at McDonalds. We went in and had to use the self serve menu. My wife was in tech and I was in manufacturing so we had exposure to screens and fairly complicated systems. This screen looked like a control panel for a nuclear plant. We ordered and by some miracle it was correct. It would have been easier to go through the drive thru
Maybe the time will come when the machine will take your food order and give you a massage and a happy ending while you wait for the order....or a shave:straight:

Good morning, my friend. I'm moving back to Nashville next month. I'll give Culver's another chance when I get back there.

Btw, have you had tacos lately? 😆
Hey Eric, for sure give them a second try. I did stop at one I have never been to and the burger was over cooked. Maybe the ones you and I had bad experiences with didn't have the owner of these places on site.

We have a Culvers by us and go occasionally, the food is always good
and the drinks are consistent . A few weeks ago we needed to go for an appointment about an hour away and it took much longer than expected. We decided to stop into the Culvers that was close by and it must have been an off day. Everything was overcooked and the drinks (tea) tasted weird. It also could have been the difference in ownership. We usually give a restaurant a couple chances, after that we move on.

Good morning, my friend. I'm moving back to Nashville next month. I'll give Culver's another chance when I get back there.

Btw, have you had tacos lately? 😆
By coincidence, the missus has them on the menu for today! Whodathunkit!? Your Culver's redo...a Double Deluxe Butter Burger. They're such a load that we split one. But they are de-lish. They're like a Sonic Double cheeseburger on roids!

I may have mentioned this before, but I've never been to a Five Guys in my life.
It was a better than average burger before the pandemic. The closest one to me has dropped considerably in quality and experience. Last time we went a burger, fries, and shake ran about $24 per person which seems high - or maybe I need to adjust my internal meter.

Honestly, it is super-easy to make great burgers at home on your grill.

Funny you mention this. My local Burger King, which sux'd, closed down about three years ago. Late last year it was remodeled and turned into guess what? A cannabis shop and they're having a grand opening starting today. And since I live in NJ, they're having a Bruce Springsteen cover band as part of the celebration.

I stole that joke from a South Park episode.

Well the Mom & Pop local places that did good food, good service, good prices, and fair quantity have been replaced by Chain Restaurants, and Chain Fast Food Joints.

Friend son worked at AppleBees for short time, he said most everything was off a truck, out of box, out of plastic wrap, and cooking from scratch was not what Applebees is about. it was about opening a package, reheating, and serving.
and it tastes like that too. My wife one time insisted on eating at Applebees. I relented and went with her. She never asked to go back.

It never ceases to amaze me at the huge lines at drive throughs because people are too lazy to get out of the car and get their order fulfilled in a fraction of the time they sit in the drive through line. And where I live you better check your order before driving away. Your chances are about 50/50 of getting the right items.
I got a quarter pounder one time with no meat. I took a bite no meat just bread and condiments.

We ordered wings and a pizza from a restaurant. When we got home, we opened the wing box and all we got was a wrapper with wing sauce on it. We always check our order now.

Inner city fast food is the worst. A couple years ago I went to the McDonald's down the road from me with the intention of dining in. Two employees were standing just outside the door talking animatedly. I actually had to squeeze past them to get through the door, as they refused to step aside. Inside, it's like half the crew was on break and spending that break in the customer area playing grab-*** and talking at the top of their voices. I got my food and sat down near an employee who was sitting by himself in a booth.

I looked over and said, "This is the worst McDonald's I've ever seen. Is it always like this in here?"

He quietly told me he had just texted the owner and told him to look at the security cameras link on his phone. They had one employee who was as appalled as I was.

Contrast that to a McDonald's I went to about 10 miles outside of Columbus out in rural Ohio. Semi-retired women and teenage girls who looked like they were in the 4-H. A vastly superior McDonald's experience.

Last time we did Chipotle was last year across from Wrigley; post-game waiting for the train queue to die down.
They looked at me crazy-like when I asked them to add beans and fajita mix to the Barbacoa Burrito, cut in half and wrap individual.

No way would I ever want to consider (anymore) eating a fully loaded Chipotle burrito in one sitting...

At Tijuanna Flats they have specials on different days. Today was Thursday and they had the burritos in a bowl or wrapped, with chips and a drink for $7.99

This is the kind of FF we need. For $8, that is a serious meal.
I'm stating this - tongue in cheek; given one of our fave places to eat here in SoCal is named "TJ Tacos"

We NEVER eat anything when we roll through Tijuana; which is usually just a formality when we visit Ensenada

I may have mentioned this before, but I've never been to a Five Guys in my life.
Great place! They have gotten pricey, and don't give you the extra French fries like they did in the past.
Never understood why they call it Five Guys. There are less than that working, and sometimes a gal or two in the mix! :biggrin1:

It was a better than average burger before the pandemic. The closest one to me has dropped considerably in quality and experience. Last time we went a burger, fries, and shake ran about $24 per person which seems high - or maybe I need to adjust my internal meter.

Honestly, it is super-easy to make great burgers at home on your grill.
Our teenage son creates 5Guys burgers for himself and his brother when my wife and I are out of town. We even have Takeout baskets and waxpaper liners to complete the experience.

Their prices are crazy these days. It's good but no better than you can make at home for 1/2 the price. It just takes time and planning to gather the topping ingredients.

Let's face it, Fast Food is for lazy people. Cooking takes practice & time, but if a couple teenagers can do it on their own, anyone can. I'll admit, I get lazy too the odd time. But much prefer homemade meals and Fastfood done at home.

He sends me the photos after he makes them.
IMG_20240315_195636.jpg

IMG_20240315_200312.jpg

IMG_20240315_200315.jpg

Last edited:
Our teenage son creates 5Guys burgers for himself and his brother when my wife and I are our of town. We even have Takeout baskets and waxpaper liners to complete the experience.

Their prices are crazy these days. It's good but no better than you can make at home for 1/2 the price. It just takes time and planning to gather the topping ingredients.

Let's face it, Fast Food is for lazy people. Cooking takes practice & time, but if a couple teenagers can do it on their own, anyone can. I'll admit, I get lazy too the odd time. But much prefer homemade meals and Fastfood done at home.

He sends me the photos after he makes them.
View attachment 1813139

View attachment 1813140
View attachment 1813141
Those look fantastic -- Well Done

My oldest has a peanut allergy, so my family has never had Five Guys either @Eric_75
I had one not too far from the office that I would frequent from time to time - not too often though

Everything your saying about these big fast food chains is what I’m seeing as well.

The quality has really gone down and the prices up.

I used to eat hamburgers on a weekly basis. But now I mostly make my own, or go to a non chain hamburger place.

I used to like KFC but the chicken pieces seem smaller now days. I do Safeway cheap chicken Mondays and get an 8pc dark meat for $5.99.

I just can’t justify paying $14 before tax and tip at these places.

Lately I go out to Thai or Vietnamese restaurants and can get meals around the $14 range. I’ve always liked SE Asian food.

Also found some Mexican restaurants that I can run around the $13 range. But then another $3 for something to drink. Last night I got there special carne tacos plate with rice and beans and drink plus chips and salsa for $13.50 with tax and all. Not a fancy place. But the food tasted good.

Last edited:
Everything your saying about these big fast food chains is what I’m seeing as well.

The quality has really gone down and the prices up.

I used to eat hamburgers on a weekly basis. But now I mostly make my own, or go to a non chain hamburger place.

I used to like KFC but the chicken pieces seem smaller now days. I do Safeway cheap chicken Mondays and get an 8pc dark meat for $5.99.

I just can’t justify paying $14 before tax and tip at these places.

Lately I go out to Thai or Vietnamese restaurants and can get meals around the $14 range. I’ve always liked SE Asian food.

Also found some Mexican restaurants that I can run around the $13 range. But then another $3 for something to drink. Last night I got there special carne taco with rice and beans and drink plus chips and salsa for $13.50 with tax and all. Not a fancy place. But the food tasted good.
This is a good tip. I can get take out Chinese at the same price as a fast food joint and I get leftovers.

Top Bottom