What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

I just had a quick shave with it. I couldn't wait so I figured what the heck! Plenty of stubble to cut since my shave last night anyways! Wow, Wow Wow is all I can say. Fantastic!!!
The first one definitely had issues where this one is awesome.
The first one I owned had blade play before you would tighten and I thought that was normal (it gave a rough shave no matter what) but apparently that isn't normal because this one has no blade play. The blade tightens & aligns perfectly. So yes I believe the first one came with a defect!
This Level 2 is super smooth & very efficient and my face feels great. My titanium Shield Predator is wonderful as well but I can't use it daily. The blade gap & exposure on that one is higher than this Sabre making a one day growth to feel irritated. This Sabre is the perfect middleground. Next up for the GEM's is the Atelier Durdan Vestige ++. Hopefully it arrives soon because I have a feeling that it will be very similar to this one which will make it a great addition to my daily rotation.
Anyways, this one now joins the rotation and will stay for good!
reface_1603147739934_522.GIF

I just had a quick shave with it. I couldn't wait so I figured what the heck! Plenty of stubble to cut since my shave last night anyways! Wow, Wow Wow is all I can say. Fantastic!!!
The first one definitely had issues where this one is awesome.
The first one I owned had blade play before you would tighten and I thought that was normal (it gave a rough shave no matter what) but apparently that isn't normal because this one has no blade play. The blade tightens & aligns perfectly. So yes I believe the first one came with a defect!
This Level 2 is super smooth & very efficient and my face feels great. My titanium Shield Predator is wonderful as well but I can't use it daily. The blade gap & exposure on that one is higher than this Sabre making a one day growth to feel irritated. This Sabre is the perfect middleground. Next up for the GEM's is the Atelier Durdan Vestige ++. Hopefully it arrives soon because I have a feeling that it will be very similar to this one which will make it a great addition to my daily rotation.
Anyways, this one now joins the rotation and will stay for good!
That's also a really good looking razor...Hmm. IF I were to get one, I would order the same level as yours seeing as how your
shaving preferences etc seem to mimic my own pretty closely.

reface_1603146795502_548.GIF

That's also a really good looking razor...Hmm. IF I were to get one, I would order the same level as yours seeing as how your
shaving preferences etc seem to mimic my own pretty closely.

View attachment 1764591
Not trying to enable Huck but they're a last time limited production run. So now would be the time since they're gonna sell out fast. Last time they sold them, the Level 2 sold out pretty quickly. They're going to be making a new updated version for 2024 so these are the last of the originals. And I'll definitely be in line for the new version too. Don't know how they'll make it better but I'm guessing they'll figure something out.
Again, not trying to enable! ;)

Last edited:
My Stando Jaruna DE slant finally arrived today from Spain. 2 weeks & 3 days since the day it was shipped. Definitely the longest wait I've had from Spain but at least it's here. This one is serial #005 so it was one of the first!
A very interesting design since it's a "tilted" slant instead of a "helical" slant. The Above the Tie X1 slant is also a tilted slant but it's and AC razor. This will be my first time using one in the DE format! You can see in the pictures how the head is much thicker on one side vs. the other. The top cap has an indent that matches the bottom plate to ensure that you correctly install it. It'll only fit one way!
In typical Stando fashion, the fit & finish is A-1. Very nice satin stainless 316L finish and a handle that is exceptionally designed. Very nice!
It'll be up for tonight's shave with a Personna Lab Blue blade:

full

full

full

full

full

Aah don't worry about the enabling aspect, I'm MORE than capable of finding excuses/reasons to convince myself I require/need/want to possess something whether I need it or not.
reface_1603146839913_182.GIF

Just as a teaser, there is something I'm holding out for which should happen, hopefully early January.

My Stando Jaruna DE slant finally arrived today from Spain. 2 weeks & 3 days since the day it was shipped. Definitely the longest wait I've had from Spain but at least it's here. This one is serial #005 so it was one of the first!
A very interesting design since it's a "tilted" slant instead of a "helical" slant. The Above the Tie X1 slant is also a tilted slant but it's and AC razor. This will be my first time using one in the DE format! You can see in the pictures how the head is much thicker on one side vs. the other. The top cap has an indent that matches the bottom plate to ensure that you correctly install it. It'll only fit one way!
In typical Stando fashion, the fit & finish is A-1. Very nice satin stainless 316L finish and a handle that is exceptionally designed. Very nice!
It'll be up for tonight's shave with a Personna Lab Blue blade:

full

full

full

full

full
Had my first nightly 2 pass shave with the Jaruna slant, using a Personna Lab Blue blade!

First off, this is thing is a lawnmower. A loud one at that!
The handle and head is a heavy chunk of solid 316L stainless steel but it sings as it shaves.
My observation is that the loudness comes from the blade chatter. Doesn't bother me one bit since
blade chatter isn't an issue for my shaves. I know some people experience skipping, missed pickups & tugging because of blade chatter but I've learned that if you keep the right angle, none of those issues apply.
And this razor is an easy one to keep the right angle. The angle between the top cap and bottom plate show you exactly where you need to be and that place is neutral. I'd say the standard 30 degrees!
As blocky as that head looks, it's a balanced razor. No excessive weight going up towards the head or down towards the handle. And the handle: Fantastic!! I'd say one of the best ones I've held. My hand feels perfect holding it and it'd be hard for this one to slip. Lots of knurling in the right spots!

As for shave performance:
I'd rate it to be mild to medium aggressive and very smooth. But the cutting action is no joke. I had plenty of growth (1.5 days) and after the first pass I could have called it a night. So by the time I finished my second pass, my face was DFS++. Very very smooth & efficient which is typical of slants. I have the Merkur 37C, Fatip FOCS and have had the 39C & Hoffritz slant and this blows them all out of the water. It's an excellent slant razor!
Fun, enjoyable, unique and very effective razor! A++

Tonight I had my second shave with the Blackland Sabre GEM. This time it wasn't a quick shave like the first one I did a couple days ago (which was great anyways). Had my usual proper pre-shave after showering.
What a great razor and what a great shave!
I love this thing and look forward to using it over and over. I'm more than impressed!
As good as it gets folks!
Kudos to Blackland for making something so good!

Hello my friends!
Surprise delivery today on something I had mentioned that I would talk about when it arrives.
The backstory:

So I had bought the OneBlade Core (the cheapest plastic head razor from OneBlade). As you probably read, I started experimenting with the GEM blades mod and it didn't go very well on the first try. So I did a little research and discovered that OneBlade had an upgrade program. They ended up giving me an upgrade credit (plus 20% off) in order to get the "mid-range" model which is the Hybrid. It's got the resin handle from the Core but a stainless head and is slightly more aggressive. (I had previously mentioned all this on a previous post but I'm trying to chronographically tell the whole story). I figured that the metal head would work better than the plastic head with the GEM blade mod.

But:
I decided to revisit the Feather FHS-10 blade (which is the blade designed for the OneBlade) for a few days of shaves with the plastic Core razor.
I discovered (or re-discovered since initially it had good results for me) that it's fantastic!
It's undoubtedly superior than a GEM on the OneBlade razor. The smoothness, the closeness, it's awesome!
The shave result is what I get from GEM razors. And it makes sense because it's a very similar rigid blade as compared to the GEM. Combine that with the design of the OneBlade razor and it's and incredible shave.

So here's where it get's good:
OneBlade hadn't shipped the Hybrid and 2 days later they send me an email that the holiday sale continued.
I wondered if I could get an upgrade credit (from the Hybrid that I had just bought) to buy the full stainless Genesis even though they hadn't shipped the Hybrid yet?
Note: The upgrade credit lets you keep the one you bought before. You don't have to send it back!
Well, I got the holiday sale 20% off + the upgrade credit to buy the stainless Genesis.
The Genesis is the flagship model that's fully stainless and hand assembled. It's $350!!
But with the credit + the holiday sale, I picked it up for less than half of that price. I don't know how they do the math but I got a heck of a deal on a razor that is a stunning work of art. It's literally perfect!
It's heavy, balanced and beautiful. And the full stainless stand that's included is stunning as well.
@AJMiami mentioned in one of my previous posts that he considered the OneBlade to be one of the best razors ever made and I can see why he feels that way.

Where this goes:
I receive an email from one of their reps that I had ordered the hybrid in black and it was out of stock (I'm guessing, that was the shipping delay). So he offers me the white one and I accept. At the same time he sees and mentions that I had also ordered the Genesis. He merges the two orders and shipped them out together.
So both arrived today!!
I promptly took out the Genesis and took it for a test shave. One of the characteristics of the Genesis is that it's the most aggressive of the three. I will try out the Hybrid at some point. I didn't even take it out of the box yet!
What a razor & what a shave! And for the price paid, it's even more unbelievable!
I absolutely love it and it will be in my rotation with the Gem's: Sabre, Predator, Vestige (when it arrives) and the Wolfman Wr3 if I end up ordering it.
I know the deal with the Feather FHS-10 blades:
They don't last me past 2 shaves and they're expensive but I don't care. The shave (and the razor) is absolutely worth it for me. And if you buy them in bulk, it ends up not being too bad!
Besides, it'll be part of a rotation where it won't get used everyday. It'll have it's turn every few days.
So that's the story!!

full

full

full

full

full

full

I thought the Hybrid was the Genesis head on the Core handle...no?
I've done some researching and apparently it's more of a: "The Hybrid head is like the Genesis head".
And I'm guessing that might be possible because they're not supposed to be equal in aggression. I'll let you know that part though when I eventually give the Hybrid a try!
I just took the Hybrid out of the box to see the physical differences side by side. The head design seems the same just by looking at it. Of course it might have some millimetric & internal differences that aren't visible though. To my eye, the material isn't exactly the same. They might both be stainless steel but I guess that the quality of the steel can always differ. For sure the finish doesn't look the same to me. The Hybrid looks to be more on the shinier chrome type finish vs. the Genesis' that seems to have a brushed stainless finish (matches the handle). But honestly, I'm sure that only OneBlade would know the differences if any. What I'm really interested to see is if they shave the same or are truly different.
I can 100% definitely tell you that the plastic head Core model shaves totally different than the Genesis.
It's night & day for me!

View attachment 1768092
Today’s arsenal. The oneblade is truly special. Every time I use it I’m amazed about its simplicity.
I became a bit frustrated with it when I tried to stretch the FHS blades past two uses. Key is to replace the blades religiously
What a great razor!
I always change blades after 3 uses with all other blades i.e., DE, AC, etc..
So I think I'll be fine having to do that with the OneBlade.
I too haven't gotten past 2 shaves on one
FHS-10 blade. I guess it's just the way it is.
Luckily I just received a big box of the blades today so I'm set for quite a while.

I've done some researching and apparently it's more of a: "The Hybrid head is like the Genesis head".
And I'm guessing that might be possible because they're not supposed to be equal in aggression. I'll let you know that part though when I eventually give the Hybrid a try!
I just took the Hybrid out of the box to see the physical differences side by side. The head design seems the same just by looking at it. Of course it might have some millimetric & internal differences that aren't visible though. To my eye, the material isn't exactly the same. They might both be stainless steel but I guess that the quality of the steel can always differ. For sure the finish doesn't look the same to me. The Hybrid looks to be more on the shinier chrome type finish vs. the Genesis' that seems to have a brushed stainless finish (matches the handle). But honestly, I'm sure that only OneBlade would know the differences if any. What I'm really interested to see is if they shave the same or are truly different.
I can 100% definitely tell you that the plastic head Core model shaves totally different than the Genesis.
It's night & day for me!
I wonder if the hybrid is based on the v1 head.
As I have mentioned, I also have the V1 version of the genesis. Visually, the v1 and v2 are identical, but the v1 is a bit milder. I believe the v2 was made to discourage use of gem blades in the razor.
The v2 have a slightly larger aperture, which causes the gem blades to have a bit of play.
Regardless, with the fhs blade, the v2 is more efficient and much better than the v1.

I just found the numbers for the OneBlade Genesis, 0.15mm blade exposure! I still am snickering that you changed your mind about the blades, sorry.
I'm actually glad I changed my mind to continue with the original blades. They work great with no modification and it's actually a pain to be doing the GEM mod. I tried but no need!
I just received my big box of FHS-10's today anyways. Enough to probably give me 5 years worth of shaves while rotating with my other razors.

Top Bottom