What's new

The things you stumble over...

I was telling a buddy at work (who is a relate in a roundabout fashion) about getting my Dad's 59 SS, and he said he'd talk to his Dad about his razors, because he remembered seeing him shaving with some sort of safety razor when my buddy was a kid...

I came in this morning, and Steve handed me an old (and I do mean old) cigarette box with a rubber band around it, and said, "The old man said this belonged to one of my grampas." When I opened it up, there was a ball handle New! All of the teeth are there, and none of them are bent, and the plating appears to all be there!

Steve's dad says he's got at least one more razor floating around the house, and he'll see what he can find...

So how does a New shave? Being an open comb, it looks about half scary...

hey congrats on the sweet find. I really like the way my NEW shaves. I wasn't sure about open-comb razors, but the NEW (I don't have a ball-handle) is a great, great shaver.

hey congrats on the sweet find. I really like the way my NEW shaves. I wasn't sure about open-comb razors, but the NEW (I don't have a ball-handle) is a great, great shaver.

Well, you must get yourself a ball end. I like the balance of them a little better.

Just when I thought RAD was over, I need another NEW. Sheesh.

It won't be too bad. The long comb, short comb, and British should all be pretty easy to find with a WTB here. Now one with no handle crack is another story and cased is almost impossible, unless you're Guido. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It won't be too bad. The long comb, short comb, and British should all be pretty easy to find with a WTB here. Now one with no handle crack is another story and cased is almost impossible, unless you're Guido. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, British ball end NEW's really don't have the cracking problem that their American cousins suffer. Oh, and you would be surprised how minimal my "collection" is. I think I have only 19 cased razors on display along with a couple of scuttles, a mug and a store display of twenty 1936 Blue Blade packs.

Most of my shaves for the last ~2 months have been with a long-toothed Gillette New, with the common bar handle. IMO, an excellent shaver- mine seems particularly nice with red-pack Personnas.:biggrin: More agressive than a post-war Tech, but nothing to worry about.

After a fiasco with an idiot Ebay seller(she showed lots of good pix of a bar-handled short-tooth New (Deluxe? with the *thick* bottom plate), & sent me a so-so condition long-toothed New instead!:mad: Finally got refund), there's now a short-tooth, ribbed bottom plate New en route from Canada- where it was made.:wink:

I *Still* want a New with the thick bottom plate though!:w00t:

Actually, I don't think you will like that razor at all. But I am prepared to help you out by taking it off your hands. I will store it so it doesn't bother anyone else. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom