What's new

What was your 1st straight razor? (pictures welcome!)

Prior to the early 2000’s I had two straight razors, but I had no idea how to maintain them and in truth I can not remember ever having a full shave with them. With the advent of the Internet it became possible to find quite a bit of good information concerning the use and the care of straight razors.

In October of 2005 I purchased two razors from John Crowley who I had found on the Internet. It appears he no longer has a presence on line, but he was a good gentleman to work with. He sold me two German razors:

1. 8/8" Wacker "Worked Back"
These hefty 8/8 blades have extensive workings on the back of the spine similar to the Dovo brand "Bergischer Lowe" only much deeper and more extensive. This was all done by hand - not machine ground. They were forged and ground by Herr Wacker, the last of the independent Master Razor Makers in Solingen, Germany.

2. 7/8" Original Bartmann #22
This beautiful 7/8 Original Bartmann #22 blade --- The Bartmann brand was famed for the quality of their razors and these are their peers.

I used these two razors daily until 2018 when I purchase a Jerry Stark razor to replace them. The blades of both of the original razors were still in very good shape. I had a big problem with the pivot pins in both of the razors. The pins became so loose the scales just flopped around and I could no longer tap them to tighten the blade in the scales. I keep thinking about trying to replace the scales myself or finding someone to do the job for me.

I used them in rotation for 13+ years and still pull them out occasionally.

IMG_2023-04-17_10-22-32.jpeg

Screenshot_20230419_222023_Gallery.jpg

My first Straight Razor, not including shavettes, was a Gold Dollar 208. This was not just any Gold Dollar though, it was Razoremporiums "modded" so called "shave ready" Gold Dollar. At $50 + shipping to the UK it is also an expensive Gold Dollar. However it is my first SR and you never forget your first, this razor holds a special place in my heart.

Screenshot_20230419_222114_Gallery.jpg

I was therefore heartbroken when It fell into the bath, during a post shave photo session, causing it to be badly damaged. However this will not be the end of this razors story. It shall live on and shave again, as a shorty. I just need to purchace a dremmel first.

Prior to the early 2000’s I had two straight razors, but I had no idea how to maintain them and in truth I can not remember ever having a full shave with them. With the advent of the Internet it became possible to find quite a bit of good information concerning the use and the care of straight razors.

In October of 2005 I purchased two razors from John Crowley who I had found on the Internet. It appears he no longer has a presence on line, but he was a good gentleman to work with. He sold me two German razors:

1. 8/8" Wacker "Worked Back"
These hefty 8/8 blades have extensive workings on the back of the spine similar to the Dovo brand "Bergischer Lowe" only much deeper and more extensive. This was all done by hand - not machine ground. They were forged and ground by Herr Wacker, the last of the independent Master Razor Makers in Solingen, Germany.

2. 7/8" Original Bartmann #22
This beautiful 7/8 Original Bartmann #22 blade --- The Bartmann brand was famed for the quality of their razors and these are their peers.

I used these two razors daily until 2018 when I purchase a Jerry Stark razor to replace them. The blades of both of the original razors were still in very good shape. I had a big problem with the pivot pins in both of the razors. The pins became so loose the scales just flopped around and I could no longer tap them to tighten the blade in the scales. I keep thinking about trying to replace the scales myself or finding someone to do the job for me.

I used them in rotation for 13+ years and still pull them out occasionally.

View attachment 1640907
Get a small 2 lb peening hammer. You can give a few light taps on each side and it will tighten them back up so the razors close nicely. Easy to do and a nice tool to have.

View attachment 1640966

My first Straight Razor, not including shavettes, was a Gold Dollar 208. This was not just any Gold Dollar though, it was Razoremporiums "modded" so called "shave ready" Gold Dollar. At $50 + shipping to the UK it is also an expensive Gold Dollar. However it is my first SR and you never forget your first, this razor holds a special place in my heart.

View attachment 1640971

I was therefore heartbroken when It fell into the bath, during a post shave photo session, causing it to be badly damaged. However this will not be the end of this razors story. It shall live on and shave again, as a shorty. I just need to purchace a dremmel first.

If you want - I can do it for you, and put on any kind of point / tip style.

Gratis - just the cost of sending to me in Old London Town. (I’ll cover return post, cos it’s not worth fussing with).

How do some of you guys keep your 1st razors so pristine still?!?! I dont want to post a current picture of my ralf aust, the sins that I bestowed upon that blade trying to learn and experiment on.
Ah to be fair I never touched that one to a stone myself, once I got the hang of using it (just to make sure I'd stick with it) I bought a cheap dovo and a gold dollar to play with. Now those things are like something from a horror show!

How do some of you guys keep your 1st razors so pristine still?!?! I dont want to post a current picture of my ralf aust, the sins that I bestowed upon that blade trying to learn and experiment on.
I am actually really curious to see how your RA looks now, after all this time. Would you mind posting an image of it?

I am actually really curious to see how your RA looks now, after all this time. Would you mind posting an image of it?
20230428_124553.jpg
20230428_124625.jpg
One end is tapered, because I went too crazy sanding it. Also, noticed the pin difference, I sanded so much, the pin fell off and ended up having the replace it.

20230428_124643.jpg
This here is the product of me trying to sand down the stab area a bit
20230428_124653.jpg
Last but not least, this finish is the cumulative result of trying a patina, taking it off and spontaneous more sanding of different areas and notice the slight frown as well. still HHT sharp though.

All in all, not too bad yet kind of really bad lol, but still my first born. These pics were the prices I paid to learn the following:
1. How to bevel set and bring back to shaving ready
2. When honing, pay extra attention to not scrape stabilizer
3. I can now pin straights
4. I can now sand and buff horn scales successfully to an extent without ruining it
5. I learned to stay away from sandpaper when it comes to the blade though.
6. Giving a patina on a SR doesn't have the same Je ne sais quoi quality for me that a knife does when it has one.

Last edited:
My brain cells don’t go back that far but I’d take a wild guess at it being a Geneva/ Genco kinda thing. Don’t hold me to it. After a decade or more things start to fade.
On the 25th I turned on to route #66. Heading for the ramp to 67.
Jeez . How did this happen?

Well hey would you look at this! I didn’t know I had this razor. Oh wow, cool! Let’s hone it up and see if it works. I’ll be back.

Last edited:
Trying to get a better edge on my Rolls Razor, I bought some lapping film, and ended up reading many posts about the method lapping film approach to honing, and considering I had film already, I figured I'd dip my toe into straights for the right price (i.e., cheap). While antiquing, I ran across a 5/8 Friedrich Baurmann & Sohne "Comfort 40" and it being from Solingen Germany, I felt it was a good candidate for $9 and an old barber's strop for $9. A little sanding and polishing of the strop and straight, I "honed" it and had my first straight shave, and while it wasn't the best edge, I was hooked. Approaching 100 shaves, my edges have improved as has technique (forced myself to shave left-handed from the beginning), but I still consider myself a noob.
Solingen Straight Shave.jpg

My first SR was from Larry at Whipped Dog probably about 10 years ago. He was amazingly helpful. I wasn't sure what to expect from a SR, only that I was curious about such a strange, old school shaving style. Honestly I had visions of me slicing my throat and bleeding out LOL!

This thing says "Cold Beetle" on the tang. It still shaves nicely although I'm now used to a larger, heavier razor.

1686152182930.png

Top Bottom