What's new

.45 acp or 9mm in a 1911.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks, it's a sweet pistol, very accurate, I shoot it very well. I've kept it on my permit but I just don't trust it.
Example. Had to re qualify with my CCW class last fall. The guy that teaches the class is a crusty old curmudgeon. Former Marine, Sheriff's Deputy, Corrections Officer, NRA this that and everything else.
Told us his whole story about him being a tough guy.

The class is at an indoor range, so he has us doing all sorts of tactical stuff, with the lights on and off and such. Not something that interests me that much, but I guess I do well enough that he never says a word to me, all the while yelling at everyone else.

That EMP points really well for me. He has us moving, zigging and zagging. He commented what a nice pistol it was.

I'm 71, I don't practice that much, but I'm good with tools. Farrier for 45 years, blacksmith/metal fab shop

I've got three mags for it. The last mag wouldn't seat with a full 9 rounds. What an embarrassment.
G Dammit! Now what!
Are they the mags that came with the pistol? What brand are they?

Top round is probably hitting and pressing against the bottom of the ejector. I had the same trouble with my .45.

Mag brand change fixed that.
Already had this thing into Springfield twice. One they "drilled and pinned the ejector", the next time to "polish the feed ramp and adjust the ejector". Two out of three mags work fine, for now.
What brand mags would you recommend?

Not sure if it would matter to me anyway, as I have deemed this pistol as unreliable.

When you have trouble with a 1911 feeding, take a look at your mags feed lips and make sure they match the bullet profile of the ammo you are using. 1911 mags come with different shaped feed lips. Some are for round ball ammo, some for SWC and some are called hybrids. Even then you can compare two mags labeled for the same bullet profile, but made by the different manufacturers and find the lip shapes very different.

Last edited:
Already had this thing into Springfield twice. One they "drilled and pinned the ejector", the next time to "polish the feed ramp and adjust the ejector". Two out of three mags work fine, for now.

Not sure if it would matter to me anyway, as I have deemed this pistol as unreliable.

I’ve used Virgil Tripp’s Cobra Mags for my 1911’s over the years. All have worked extremely well.

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Those are 2 good looking guns!

"Made in Italy" usually means MecGar, which is the OEM manufacturer for Beretta, Sig (top line) and many others (they made the 9mm 1911 mags for my Tisas, and they are 100%). Mecgar uses good springs, so it is unlikely a defect as much as a break in issue. Load them up & leave them for a month, and I suspect they will be easier on insertion.

Edit: The Wilson 47Ds and the MecGars with the polymer followers tend to seat the rounds a bit higher for feeding, as the 1911 is not really meant to use the ramp, even on ramped guns. If they polished the ramp, they should also have burnished your chamber (mirror finish, virtually no reaming marks visible). If your rounds are contacting the ramp, they may be striking the roof of the chamber, as they transition in feeding. Burnishing makes it a "pin ball machine" affair, where there is nothing for the round to drag on at all. The ejector may interfere with the round seating high enough on the breech face, under the extractor, if the ejector is too long/wide. The ultra-compacts are difficult to tune.

Last edited:
"Made in Italy" usually means MecGar, which is the OEM manufacturer for Beretta, Sig (top line) and many others (they made the 9mm 1911 mags for my Tisas, and they are 100%). Mecgar uses good springs, so it is unlikely a defect as much as a break in issue. Load them up & leave them for a month, and I suspect they will be easier on insertion.

Edit: The Wilson 47Ds and the MecGars with the polymer followers tend to seat the rounds a bit higher for feeding, as the 1911 is not really meant to use the ramp, even on ramped guns. If they polished the ramp, they should also have burnished your chamber (mirror finish, virtually no reaming marks visible). If your rounds are contacting the ramp, they may be striking the roof of the chamber, as they transition in feeding. Burnishing makes it a "pin ball machine" affair, where there is nothing for the round to drag on at all. The ejector may interfere with the round seating high enough on the breech face, under the extractor, if the ejector is too long/wide. The ultra-compacts are difficult to tune.
Thanks for the advice, but I bought this pistol new about 11 years ago. They are indeed Mecgar magazines. Well past any break in, been back to factory twice. Just waiting for the next failure.

Thanks for the advice, but I bought this pistol new about 11 years ago. They are indeed Mecgar magazines. Well past any break in, been back to factory twice. Just waiting for the next failure.
I don't remember if you said you tinker with your pistols or not, but is your ejector clearing the rounds in the mag now?
1678821341733.png

I have both - and primarily shoot the 9mm. 45ACP isn’t easy to come by and has gotten VERY expensive. I can get 1k rounds of quality 9mm for under $350 - and it’s available anywhere.

If availability wasn’t a concern - and it was pre-pandemic pricing for ammo, it would be a dead heat for me. I generally find .45ACP to be more fun to shoot.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have both - and primarily shoot the 9mm. 45ACP isn’t easy to come by and has gotten VERY expensive. I can get 1k rounds of quality 9mm for under $350 - and it’s available anywhere.

If availability wasn’t a concern - and it was pre-pandemic pricing for ammo, it would be a dead heat for me. I generally find .45ACP to be more fun to shoot.

$350 for a case of 9mm! Great price! Where might that be found for us 9mm seekers? :)

$350 for a case of 9mm! Great price! Where might that be found for us 9mm seekers? :)
Check out SGAmmo. Back before 2018 when you could still have ammo shipped to California they always had the best prices and by far the best shipping prices.
I believe they are in Oklahoma too.
I wrecked my UPS driver’s back.

Top Bottom