What's new

Rolling Stone List of Greatest 200 Singers of All Time

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Nope. But he is on the list at 19. :) Just under Celia Cruz at 18. And under Bob Dylan, who is 15, with a very lame, to me, explanation of why, and I am a big Dylan fan.
I’m a huge Dylan fan as well and I think of his voice as another instrument. Dylan’s music just isn’t Dylan’s music without that voice. Dylan did remark that the only one of his songs that was done better than his was done by Jimmy Hendrix - “All Along the Watchtower”.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m a huge Dylan fan as well and I think of his voice as another instrument. Dylan’s music just isn’t Dylan’s music without that voice. Dylan did remark that the only one of his songs that was done better than his was done by Jimmy Hendrix - “All Along the Watchtower”.
And he did it playing guitar, upside down and backwards. I hope his voice made the list.

FarmerTan

Oh man wasn’t Hendrix just amazing!!!
I STILL have a poster of him from the 70's somewhere in this shack. Maybe early 80's, actually. Wasn't he 27 when he died too? Pray for our young people. It is sometimes hard to safely escape our youth.

I hope his voice made the list.
Hendrix did not make the list. I am a huge fan, liked his voice, and I think I would argue that he should be on a list of the greatest 200 singers, but I do not think I would argue too intensely. Hendrix himself, famously to my recollection, did not really like his voice. To me he was wrong not to.

I have read that Dylan liked Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watch Tower" better than his own on John Welsey Harding, and that Dylan adapted Hendrix's version to his own playing of that song in concert. I agree with Dylan there. I think Hendrix extracted more meaning from that song than Dylan knew he had in it!

I had not heard that that was the only Dylan song Dylan thought someone else did better than he had done it. I am guessing that is not so for Dylan, and I would say it is not so for me at all. For instance, there are a bunch of Dylan songs he recorded but did not release, at least at first. I am guessing that he thought others such a Joan Baez had recorded better versions. Recently, I heard an acoustic version of John Welsey Harding the song by Ron Sexsmith that I thought utterly killed, and I would say was better than the original. (But, Ron S has done that with a number of artists materials, including Elvis Costello, who said Sexsmith taught him how to perform "Everyday I Write the Book."

I saw a recent really good video on You Tube ranking all of the Dylan albums. I thought they had a number of interesting things to say, in passing, about his voice. At once point they referenced the eight or more distinctive Dylan voices. They also made suggestions as to where folks put off by his voice might start as to albums they might more easily get into. I think I have said this before, but I liked his voice(s) through John Wesley Harding a lot, although I would not say he was ever a great singer in a conventional sense, and I do not buy what RS wrote. I liked his voice from time to time thereafter on specific recorded material, but for the most part found it detracted from the material. I suppose sometimes it was interesting and serviceable. The voice he uses on a duet with Willie Nelson of Townes' Pancho and Lefty is sort of bizarre, but somehow really fits the material, I admit, and I love it.

So, Dylan has every right to follow his vision on what voice he should sing in. I am just not always going to like it, and I do not think I am ever going to perceive of him as a great singer compared to a lot of folks out there! :)

FarmerTan

Hendrix did not make the list. I am a huge fan, liked his voice, and I think I would argue that he should be on a list of the greatest 200 singers, but I do not think I would argue too intensely. Hendrix himself, famously to my recollection, did not really like his voice. To me he was wrong not to.

I have read that Dylan liked Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watch Tower" better than his own on John Welsey Harding, and that Dylan adapted Hendrix's version to his own playing of that song in concert. I agree with Dylan there. I think Hendrix extracted more meaning from that song than Dylan knew he had in it!

I had not heard that that was the only Dylan song Dylan thought someone else did better than he had done it. I am guessing that is not so for Dylan, and I would say it is not so for me at all. For instance, there are a bunch of Dylan songs he recorded but did not release, at least at first. I am guessing that he thought others such a Joan Baez had recorded better versions. Recently, I heard an acoustic version of John Welsey Harding the song by Ron Sexsmith that I thought utterly killed, and I would say was better than the original. (But, Ron S has done that with a number of artists materials, including Elvis Costello, who said Sexsmith taught him how to perform "Everyday I Write the Book."

I saw a recent really good video on You Tube ranking all of the Dylan albums. I thought they had a number of interesting things to say, in passing, about his voice. At once point they referenced the eight or more distinctive Dylan voices. They also made suggestions as to where folks put off by his voice might start as to albums they might more easily get into. I think I have said this before, but I liked his voice(s) through John Wesley Harding a lot, although I would not say he was ever a great singer in a conventional sense, and I do not buy what RS wrote. I liked his voice from time to time thereafter on specific recorded material, but for the most part found it detracted from the material. I suppose sometimes it was interesting and serviceable. The voice he uses on a duet with Willie Nelson of Townes' Pancho and Lefty is sort of bizarre, but somehow really fits the material, I admit, and I love it.

So, Dylan has every right to follow his vision on what voice he should sing in. I am just not always going to like it, and I do not think I am ever going to perceive of him as a great singer compared to a lot of folks out there! :)
Perfectly said. Perfect.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you want my opinion I’ll have to give it to you over a beer in person. Off B&B.

1672882214212.png

Rolling Stone is still publishing? ;)
Apparently so. I am not sure I would have been able to tell you it was, except for the publicity these rankings that come out from time to time get. It is not what it was when Lester Bangs was still around! Apparently, RS founder Jan Wenner sold his last 51% interest in RS in December 2017, I have no idea whether he continued(s) to have any management/editorial role.

In any event, I do not think RS has been very important or good since the mid-70s. Although I really would not be able to speak to whether the as of 2018 new owners have done anything to try to make it better or, for that matter, change the magazine.

For the life of me, I do not understand why the Brit magazines Mojo and Uncut do not make those magazines more available in the States. I suppose it has been a while since I have read a recent issue of either one, maybe since Tower Records closed, but both were excellent efforts, and to me what I would like to have seen RS become or remain. (As I write that I find myself concerned that all three magazines are really Boomer oldies magazines. It is hard to be truly cool at my or RS's ages!) I would truly love to see Mojo or Uncut's versions of the 200 greatest singers. Although I am afraid we would see even more selections I do not know well if at all from the British folk scene and African and "world" popular music.

Publishing RS magazine and allegedly running the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I guess, although the reference there is really to Jan Wenner and not to RS per se, and JW, although one of the founders, is hardly in sole charge of the RRHOF. He is the one who seems to take the flak for the inductees though.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Nope. But he is on the list at 19. :) Just under Celia Cruz at 18. And under Bob Dylan, who is 15, with a very lame, to me, explanation of why, and I am a big Dylan fan.
Dylan should get points for often having the worst diction of any singer while trying to sing long consonants - the "L" in deal is my favorite (in Like a Rolling Stone). His voice is great for much of his stuff, as Randy Neuman is for his.

This list is, of course, ridiculous. It would be difficult enough for just rock and roll singers, but all singers? They have jazz singers - where are the Broadway singers. Audra McDonald would be at the top of my list. These lists are always short on criterion, which makes it impossible for them to be anything but ridiculous. But it's still fun to look.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I would truly love to see Mojo or Uncut's versions of the 200 greatest singers. Although I am afraid we would see even more selections I do not know well if at all from the British folk scene and African and "world" popular music.
I really don't have any issues with more British, African and World music. A beautiful voice is a beautiful voice. :)
Publishing RS magazine and allegedly running the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I guess, although the reference there is really to Jan Wenner and not to RS per se, and JW, although one of the founders, is hardly in sole charge of the RRHOF. He is the one who seems to take the flak for the inductees though.
The RRHOF lost my interest a long time ago. Any entity that delayed inducting Rush as long as they did and then never got around to inducting Yes until after Chris Squire passed away does not deserve my consideration or attention. :mad:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I STILL have a poster of him from the 70's somewhere in this shack. Maybe early 80's, actually. Wasn't he 27 when he died too? Pray for our young people. It is sometimes hard to safely escape our youth.
Yep he died really young and I believe under suspicious circumstances. Before he became a music pro, he was US Army Airborne. Got booted out for wanking. He wanted out to play music and he did that in spades. I believe he played guitar on an Elvis album as a studio musician. What a fantastic guitarist and singer he was too. I first heard him in my freshman year of college. Ah, Purple Haze! BTW, I have a Bob Dylan poster over my bed.

Legion

Staff member
Apparently so. I am not sure I would have been able to tell you it was, except for the publicity these rankings that come out from time to time get. It is not what it was when Lester Bangs was still around! Apparently, RS founder Jan Wenner sold his last 51% interest in RS in December 2017, I have no idea whether he continued(s) to have any management/editorial role.

In any event, I do not think RS has been very important or good since the mid-70s. Although I really would not be able to speak to whether the as of 2018 new owners have done anything to try to make it better or, for that matter, change the magazine.

For the life of me, I do not understand why the Brit magazines Mojo and Uncut do not make those magazines more available in the States. I suppose it has been a while since I have read a recent issue of either one, maybe since Tower Records closed, but both were excellent efforts, and to me what I would like to have seen RS become or remain. (As I write that I find myself concerned that all three magazines are really Boomer oldies magazines. It is hard to be truly cool at my or RS's ages!) I would truly love to see Mojo or Uncut's versions of the 200 greatest singers. Although I am afraid we would see even more selections I do not know well if at all from the British folk scene and African and "world" popular music.

Mojo and Uncut are pretty widely available in Australia. Probably more than RS. They used to often come with a free CD on the cover, so I would buy the issues when the CD interested me, or when they did special editions about artists I like.

C914CA17-3D68-4C9B-866B-9AC44520905D.jpeg

Top Bottom