What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
No Open Comb November SOTD
Daily Double

Razor:
SS Vector with @Rosseforp GTA handle
Blade: Kai Protouch MG (3)
Razor: Wolfman WR2 0.95 with @Rosseforp GTCB handle
Blade: 7 O'Clock Black (2)
Brush: Simpson PJ2
Soap: Shave Chaser CK-6
ASL: the "Veg"
20221122_185845.jpg

Same setup as my last shave, this time switching sides with the Wolfman on the left side and the Vector on the right side.

I usually face lather, but used my Captain's Choice Aqua Marine bowl with my PJ2 and the mess it made reminded me of why I usually face lather.

The Shave Chaser, bowled a 300 today, the lather was awesome.

The PJ2, much better on the face than in the bowl, is very much becoming my favorite brush.
It might even be the best brush in the Universe.

The shave was much the same, first pass WTG with the Vector providing ample blade feel and audible feedback with every hair it leveled, the WR2 smoothly doing the same job with much less fanfare.

For the second pass the lather was rich and luxurious, the Vector finding more stubble on the ATG neck pass, the feedback even more pronounced as the stubble continued it's reduction on each buffing pass.
The WR2 does let you know the blade is there on the ATG pass, but smoother and more subtle.

The Vector is more nimble, but the WR2 is easier to drive. They both get the job done, and I even threw in a third, freestyle and WTG pass just to make sure the playing field was properly leveled and my neck was shaved as close as could be.

I got a nice warm burn from the Witch hazel with the "Veg" heating it up even more and the Nivea balm a very welcome finishing touch.

I give the Wolfman just the slightest edge in comfort during the shave, post shave comfort goes to the Vector.
The efficiency is a tough call, with the WR2 side feeling a frog's hair closer, but, with a bit more irritation than the Vector side.

I'm pretty sure this shave is close enough to last until after the Thanksgiving feast.

~doug~

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Pre-Shave
Soaps: MacDuffs Winter Cabin
Brush: Elite Razor w/Tuxedo knot
Razor: Wolfman SS WR2 1.25
Blade: Personna Lab Blue(3)
Post-Shave: Just leftover lather.
Rating: 10/10 BBS - I don't know why I bother using other razors in my den. This Wolfman gives me everything I'm looking for from a razor.
20221123SOTD.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wednesday, November 23rd 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72- Mfg 2021> Excellent mid range, excellent machining and finish, great blade clamping + easy to work under the nose area. One of the best razor purchases I ever made. Just checks all the boxes for a excellent razor.
Blade : Gillette silver blue (4) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier for myself!
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Mountain lake" 24mm 2band badger- excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great play scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Excellent shave with my RR Lupo .72 with a GSB blade.
SOTD November 23 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Seaforth Black Watch Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Schick M3 Adjustable (6)
Blade: Schick (5)
Soap/Cream: Seaforth Black Watch
Bowl: Doug Smith Siribachi Shave Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Ruby Ripple Handle 24mm Cashmere Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm, Seaforth Black Watch
Rating: 9.5/10 Very nice 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, three weepers, no cuts or irritation. Excellent lather, great cushion and residual slickness. Weepers cured by Alum Stick. I have some Schick Injector II Twin blades on their way. My favorite injector blade! Overall a very good shave.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Wednesday shave
Timeless bronze solid bar razor
Personna Israeli Red made in Germany. 1st use. Sore subject with me.
Stirling Gin and Tonic. Plenty of slick lather.
Stirling badger brush
Thayers witch hazel
Stirling Gin and Tonic aftershave
Proraso white balm
Alum feedback. Face-low. Neck-low.
Very comfortable and close shave.
9.5/10
DA48A4DD-377F-466A-9483-2DC7DE0FA8DD.jpeg

20220607_102115.jpg

Razor: Above the Tie G1 V1.5 Single Edge Razor
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Tobacco Leaf
Aftershave: Shannon's Soaps Indigo Oud Aftershave Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Rating 9.5

I promise I'll try to hit the 9.884 mark tomorrow!! :biggrin:
Wednesday shave

ARKO shave soap, puck
Cremo horse hair brush
Karve Christopher Bradley brass w/E SB plate
Vi John razor blade (new)
Omega Alum Block
Thayers Witch Hazel

This was a three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG. The razor and blade combination worked very well. The Vi John blade is sharp and smooth.
With an aggressive razor like this, buffing wasn't required. No bloodshed, just a small amount of feedback from the alum block.

This shave rates 9.884/10!

Enjoy your shaves and have an excellent day! :badger:

Wednesday, November 23rd- Another no scent day for me; a great three-pass shave this morning, uber close and comfy- three passes with minimal cleanup, no hiccups, rating BBS, 10/10:

Razor: Fatboy
Blade: Bolzano (5)- blade was fading, so I cranked the Fatboy to 9 and ended up milking the last from the blade
Lather: Canada Shave Soap- makes a fine lather with all the right properties
Brush: Omega Jade boar- always a pleasure
Post: cool rinse, finished with just a nice splash of Thayer's Superhazel for my AS; this is my last bottle of this discontinued product that I've used for years :sad:

Be well everyone and for all who celebrate it- have a great Thanksgiving!

PXL_20221123_181953732.PORTRAIT.jpg

How are you liking the ZT4? I recently received a ZT3 that I bought off the used market. Was curious how the ZT4 compares and am thinking about getting a ZT4.
I don’t have a ZT3 so can’t compare. I only have a handful of uses so still breaking in. Nice backbone that should soften up nicely over time. Soft tips with out a jell feel. Bloom is huge - so have high expectations as it breaks in.

Last edited:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well gentleman, today was an 8.
I shaved yesterday with the same line-up and honestly didn’t have a good experience.
From yesterday: Right off the bat the executive man soap easily got to hydrated and the astra blade was nothing to brag about. I was not pleased and left me somewhat dissatisfied.

So instead of changing the line-up, today: I used the same line-up and took a different approach.

I used much less water and found a good consistency however I still ended up somehow applying too much water by the second pass and then the Astra blade nicked me.

I don’t remember the executive man soap being so ‘delicate’. Still useable but just have to be a bit more precise when creating lather.

Astra was not bad by any means but just not my current cup of tea.

8.0/10

Last edited:
Top Bottom