What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

500 Shave

Two days growth

Pre-Shave: Proraso Crema Pre Barba
Rinfrescante (I)

Bowl: Antiga Barbearia do Bairro (P)

Brush: Fantasia Reine Dachs
Silberspitze 24 mm Knot (GER)

Soap: Cella Green (I)

SR: Eversharp Shick Hydro-Magic
Golden 500 Injector Safety Razor
- 1958,1959 (US)

I always looked sideways to the Single Edges, but with respect. That because I didn't want to open a second war front and start buying them...
And now, life's ironic, I got five of them in a row. All Eversharp Shick. One 500, two I2 and two G1. All gifted to me from this bearded friend of mine, who's father left this legacy.
So I started reading about them and studied them. Even saw some videos to learn the basic technique.
Today's time to perform the first shave.
I choosed the 500 for overture of this opera. As I retained this rule about Shick Injectors: the most recent are less agressive, supposedly. But that's not so simple. For instance my 500, in some variants ( Variant 2, for example) is considered one of the most agressive Injectors and there were many models preceding it.
The classification with letters and subvariants is confusing, so I can't date it precisely. One thing I know, it must be previous to 1960, as in 1959 the word Eversharp was gone from the stamping if I understood it correctly.
As I only had a set of SE original rusted blades coming in with one of the razors I ordered last week from an european site a Parker Injector, which was the only specimen available. With time I'll get some virgin Shick Injectors that abound in the internet.
I got acquainted with Schick's Hydro-Magic cleaning system and used it to clean the razor thoroughly. Specially the ceiling of the upper plate which was oxided. The cleaning turned out to be a success.

This razor is a kitsch beauty. The long handle contributes to that look. The combination of the glittering gold head with the huge black appendix gives it a feminine touch. Something more for legs' shaving than for reducing beards, I thought.
Yet it's a great classic face razor.
I've found it smooth, precise and possibly very efficient once applied the right technique. Nonetheless I was aware that it would silently bit me if I didn't keep the plate parallel to my face.
And it did give me a weeper on the face while I was trying to perform a bit of XTG on it.
It is easy to go WTG or ATG, but when one goes XTG that's another song. I didn't feel comfortable with that and soon quit. Also I found a bit of skin stretching is essential in any direction.
I discovered that the technique that goes along with it is much sober and restrictive than with a regular DE. One cannot do so much aerobatics it seemed to me. The focus must aim always to keep the blade parallel to the whiskers' roots similarly as with a straight razor.

So this whole shave was one of concentration as I don't have the automatisms to be in cruise control mode. It took me three times more than a shaving with a DE razor.
Afterwards I'm curious to try the other short-handle razors who'll give a different balance. This longer handle version gave to me the sensation of rendering the steadiness and permanent contact of the head against the face reachable. So I think I made the right choice for the debut.

Blade: Parker Injector (INDIA) - the blade was also a premiere for me. I found it...regular. No tugging and overall doing its work but not dazzling. While I don't have any other references yet.
One thing disturbed me. All the blades, that's a dispenser of 20, were mounted on reverse. So I begun with a false start. The cutting edge was to the inside! I stopped for 20 minutes and corrected the position of every single blade. Also the plastic bottom of the Injector disconnected itself from the chassis. I also fixed that. So I'm very suspicious of the quality control of this particular Injector by Parker's.

Aftershave:

- Cutoline Alum-block (P) - medium feedback.

- Nivea Sensitive Cool After Shave Balm
(GER)

Scent: Eau de Cologne 4711 (GER)

The Shave:

7/10

Alongside with the weeper I also got some visible irritation, nothing special, nothing that the balm couldn't sooth, but that demonstrated my lousy technique with a SE razor.
I got BBS on face, but some irregularities on neck.

1st Pass: All WTG.

2nd Pass: WTG on mustache and chin area, XTG from East to West in some portions of the face and ATG on the rest.

3rd Pass: XTG from West to East on mustache and chin areas, the rest ATG.

Some pickups on neck.

Attachments

• 20221122_211301.jpg
    20221122_211301.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221120_234146.jpg
    20221120_234146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221120_234557.jpg
    20221120_234557.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221122_210552.jpg
    20221122_210552.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221122_210710.jpg
    20221122_210710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221122_210753.jpg
    20221122_210753.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221122_212321.jpg
    20221122_212321.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Tonight I used my Janus Razor and tried something a little crazy. I put it on number 9 and went to town. Well i was amazed on how it gave me the perfect shave. What I noticed was how it Tamed the blade, stopping it from chattering and giving me probably one of the best shaves I ever had. This razor is at the moment my favorite. Still won't recommend it to a newbie but who ever has one please try it on 9, you will be surprised!!
20221122_185659.jpg

CFA4DF0F-2829-46D8-842F-635EE165BFFC.jpeg

Razor: 46-47 Aristocrat.
Blade: Astra SP.
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber.
Brush: Ever-Ready 400, 24mm Silvertip.
Aftershave: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber.

Third use with this particular Aristocrat. Dang this one shaves good!
Astra SP did its duty well on it's third shave. Great results!
The soap and aftershave, going to keep going with it till I get a few more soaps to try out. No problems and love the scent!
The Ever-Ready still doing it's job but kind of thinking the knot has about had it?

Rating: 10+ and a BBS......
Wifes rating: I "(censored)" Love it! Keep it going!

• Timeless Ti .95 SB polished with matte cap and handle.
• Feather blade new.
• Shave Nation finest badger.
• Olive oil bar soap for pre-shave.
• Cella shaving soap, balm, and after shave.
• WitchHazel for post shave splash.

This Timeless Tuesday shave was done late in the afternoon due to today’s schedule and it was fast and to the point.
My Timeless Ti .95 in matte joined a Polished Ti SB which equated to a very efficient and smooth razor. The new Feather was very sharp, but left a little irritation at the end of the shave, which I am calling users error as I was in a hurry and probably pressed hard on the gas, as well as the razor. Regardless, an excellent shave as the judge awards a score of 9. Enjoy your evening and looking forward to Wednesday!
3C344614-B452-4A54-AC75-560767EC9A69.jpeg

C90D2B03-8085-4F49-88B4-3DC324D914F1.jpeg

full

Preshave: None
Razor: Razorock Lupo .95 OC
Blade: Nacet ( 2nd use)
Brush: Stirling Handle w/AP Shave Co. G5C - 24mm x 57mm
Soap: Deep Blue Sea by Stirling Soap Co. (face lather)
Aftershave: Deep Blue Sea Aftershave Splash by Stirling Soap Co., CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion

Two Pass w/ ATG Cleanup.

Rating: 9.7 DFS/BBS

Comments: Buffed a bit too much on my neck. Slight irritation, but overall a great BBS shave.

22NOV💈SOTD // Wolfman Ti WR2 SB 1.35 WRH 3/7 // Zingari Man Wanderer Soap and Splash // Paladin Ichabod 26mm Micarta “Interstellar” // Captains Choice Copper Bowl // Perma-Sharp
04031F9D-AF22-47C4-9FA4-1E8BAF605EB3.jpeg

💯/💯
😍🐺😎🐺🙌

Excellent shave much earlier today. Been one of those days and I’m just getting around to posting.

Happy to have started with an excellent shave on a day like this.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221122_161355~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie Stainless SE1 (TiBam New York Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Yaqi Dandelion Green 24mm Cashmere
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Classic Match Homme EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12021771

Preshave: Glycerin Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club DX Non-Folding
Blade : Feather Super Professional Blade (D3)
Brush : Custom Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap : Cella Creama da Barba
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

Rating : 9.73/10

Very close and very comfortable BBS ! :001_wub: :straight:

Date
365 days of shaving329/327
(100%)
GRUME23/30 (100%)
NOCvember
23/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
XTGGillette Slant
(NW-SE | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SC
Razorine Flatboy with Lasta Red Handle
Eddison (6)
Bolzano (3)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Wow! This might have been a golden combination shave. The Flatboy took care of the first WXTG pass and brought me to a very acceptable CCS level if I wanted to have stopped. The Timeless picked it up and turned the shave into a homerun. It is now roughly 5 hours after my shave and I still have BBS levels in some parts of my face.

Again pairing of blades and razors was wonderful. The Bolzano and Flatboy felt better than with the first blade from this Discovery Pack. The Timeless and Eddison is currently a really excellent match - maybe even to the point of bringing this blade into my blade stock.

Still using (parts of) the TipDip method by @tjsgarden to build my lather and I think it indeed helps not to have my soap creep up the brush.

Excellent shave with excellent gear! Have a great day everone!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Pre-shave: Weleda Gentle Cleansing Foam

Soap: Arko mixed with Yardley English Lavender

Bowl: Timeless Blue

Brush: Hawkins & Brimble Synthetic

Razor: Era OC/L4

Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum

Aftershave: Thayers Unscented + Master Smokey Oud

Eye Gel: Neutrogena Hydro Boost

The Era/BCP combo knocked down several days of growth like warm butter. No weepers or irritation. Really enjoying the Master Smokey Oud on this chilly morning in Music City. An excellent pre-thanksgiving shave. A solid 10/10.

Have a blessed day, friends.

11 23 22.jpg

Last dance with the new chopper. Hitting the road for a few days for the holiday. Will not be packing a straight.

I did develop an ingrown (which never happens). When I get home it's time for my own edge on the beast.

I lapped off a blemish but other than that, no cuts or irritation. Hit my DFS standard. I'm really tempted to pack this razor but I don't want to lose it. I already have my fat handle tech at my parents house anyway.

10/10

23 November 2022

1669207536839.jpeg

Prep: Old Spice Bar Soap face wash Mexico
Razor(s):
  • At Bat: King C Gillette Germany / China
  • On Deck: Van der Hagen Germany
  • In the Hole: WCS 84S Germany / China
Brush: Amazon Badger China?
Bowl: WCS Timeless Blue Plastic USA
Lathering: Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent USA using 1/4 cup nuked rain water
Blade: Personna Platinum Israel Shave #5 and out
Passes:
  • WTG
  • ATG and XTG as required
  • Buffing as required
Cleanup:
  • Rinsed and dried face
  • Witch Hazel
  • Alum Stick
  • Pinaud Clubman (USA)
Rating(s) and Comments:
With a ‘tired’ blade, today’s shave rated an 8.0 CAS. Lots of tugging, dragging, and a couple of tiny weepers.

Thanksgiving Day’s shave will be with a fresh blade and my Van der Hagen razor.

I will be harvesting rain water for lathering over the next 3 days.

For all forum members, travelling for tomorrow’s Thanksgiving, may you have a safe trip and an enjoyable meal.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Castle Forbes Pre-shave Balm
- Vitos Extra Super Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Simple Kind To Skin Soothing Facial Toner
- Niod Skin Serums
- Hawkins & Brimble Elemi and Ginseng Aftershave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile Slant
- Rapira Super Stainless (3)
- Zenith Cobalt Blue 505BC SE Bleached Boar

Fragrance for the day
- Essens Beauty version of Creed Aventus EDP

Shave Rating: 9/10
My third shave with the Rapira Super Stainless, it's falling behind the Rapira Stainless Chrome but still ahead of the Ladas blade.

What Razor, Pre-shave product, brush/Soap and Aftershave(s) did you use today and how would you rate the whole shaving experience and postshave feel 1-10. (10 best)?

Today I used:
Proraso green preshave cream
MDC Original soap
Muhle Stylo synthetic brush
Rockwell 6S (Plate 3)
Astra SP Blade (first use)
Proraso Green AS
Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina AS
Rating: 909
What Razor, Pre-shave product, brush/Soap and Aftershave(s) did you use today and how would you rate the whole shaving experience and postshave feel 1-10. (10 best)?

Today I used:
Proraso green preshave cream
MDC Original soap
Muhle Stylo synthetic brush
Rockwell 6S (Plate 3)
Astra SP Blade (first use)
Proraso Green AS
Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina AS
Rating: 9
Hot shower
Razorock Dead Sea Soap
Lathered up with a cheap synthetic RR brush that has become a favorite
Gillette Red Tip
4th and final use Nacet blade
Razorock Dead Sea soap that has had a few drops of menthol added to the bottle
Topped off with some Nivea sensitive skin balm
Rating: 8. Smooth, comfortable, irritation free DFS. Exactly what I was after this morning. Only rated 8 because it wasn’t BBS, but that was my choice by razor and effort.

Top Bottom