What's new

Tatara Masamune Suitable Upgrade from Karve?

For whatever reason I’m starting to think about “upgrading” from my brass Karve CB with SB-B plate. I'm mainly a head shaver, and ordered a sample blade pack a couple months ago and discovered I really like Nacet & Feather blades. So I fell down a rabbit hole on what razors work best with those blades, and of course RAD kicks in. The Karve is my only razor at the moment, but the brass is starting to show it’s age and I imagine it will only continue to patina (which isn’t a bad thing).

I have seen mention that the AS-D2 is pretty much made for Feather blades, but most find it too mild and that the Tatara is better overall. So my question is would the Masamune be comparable to the Karve SB-B plate or should I go with the Nodachi top cap and Masamune plate for the neutral blade exposure? Or just get a SS Karve? 😂

Maybe give the Overlander some thought. Great razor that is mild yet very efficient.

The Tatara is a great razor as well. The Masamune is mild. I would at least look at Masamune base with Nodachi top cap. A nice sweet spot is Nodachi base with Masamune cap.

I have owned the Karve CB in brass (with C and D plates) and currently own the Karve CB in steel with B plate. I also own the Masamune. The short version of it is that the Masamune is a pretty big upgrade from the Karve CB. While the Karve runs over the face just a tad smoother, I find the Masamune both more efficient and less irritating than the Karve can be. The standard Masamune is equivalent to the Karve C plate.

I have not used my Karve in months because it is giving me ingrowns whereas my Masamune is the razor I take on vacations and longer business trips because it is so safe that I don't even have to bring an alum block. IMO, this should be a go.

Maybe give the Overlander some thought. Great razor that is mild yet very efficient.

The Tatara is a great razor as well. The Masamune is mild. I would at least look at Masamune base with Nodachi top cap. A nice sweet spot is Nodachi base with Masamune cap.

The Masa/Noda combi you are suggesting is WORLDS more agressive than the B Plate on the Karve. The standard Masa is about the same as a Karve C. The combo you described is at least a D and maybe an E. SIgnificant step up in the aggressiveness IME. And the full Noda kits is crazy aggressive. Fatip Grande OC MK1 level aggressive.

I agree 100% with what @gdawg55 says. Masamune base with Nodachi topcap is a nice sweet spot.

For me, my skin requires mild on the face, more aggressive on the dome. That, however, is opposite from what many others experience. If you are looking for a more aggressive (I prefer the term "efficient") razor then gdawg55's advice is golden. (I have never used the Overlander, but many describe it as what the Karve CB wants to be; I use the Karve D on the face, G on the dome).

I have owned the Karve CB in brass (with C and D plates) and currently own the Karve CB in steel with B plate. I also own the Masamune. The short version of it is that the Masamune is a pretty big upgrade from the Karve CB. While the Karve runs over the face just a tad smoother, I find the Masamune both more efficient and less irritating than the Karve can be. The standard Masamune is equivalent to the Karve C plate.

I have not used my Karve in months because it is giving me ingrowns whereas my Masamune is the razor I take on vacations and longer business trips because it is so safe that I don't even have to bring an alum block. IMO, this should be a go.
Oh wow, thank you for this! This is what I was looking for. I assumed the Masamune was milder than a Karve B because of the blade gap & exposure. Therefore I was thinking of getting the Masamune baseplate with Nodachi top cap to get the 0 blade exposure yet still having the smaller gap. If you say the standard Masamune is more comparable to a C plate, but comfortable I may have to go that route.

I have never tried the C plate, because I always felt the B was the sweet spot for me, but I guess all razors aren’t the same. For reference I see the AS-D2 has the same gap as a Karve B plate, yet many say it is far too mild.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For whatever reason I’m starting to think about “upgrading” from my brass Karve CB with SB-B plate. I'm mainly a head shaver, and ordered a sample blade pack a couple months ago and discovered I really like Nacet & Feather blades. So I fell down a rabbit hole on what razors work best with those blades, and of course RAD kicks in. The Karve is my only razor at the moment, but the brass is starting to show it’s age and I imagine it will only continue to patina (which isn’t a bad thing).

I have seen mention that the AS-D2 is pretty much made for Feather blades, but most find it too mild and that the Tatara is better overall. So my question is would the Masamune be comparable to the Karve SB-B plate or should I go with the Nodachi top cap and Masamune plate for the neutral blade exposure? Or just get a SS Karve? 😂
What about your Karve Brass is causing you to want to change?

Having tried the Ss Karve B-G, it’s awesome razor in its own right. I would say the Masamune is not necessarily an upgrade but a different shaving experience. I liked it but sold it once I had the Muramasa. Karve plates are very versatile.

Imo, If its smoothness youre after grab either the Karve Overlander or Muramsa Adjustable. If efficiency is your goal, grab Nodachi or just add a plate like “F” or my favorite “G”plate.

If it was me, I would’ve grabbed the Brass Overlander and call it a day. You won’t be disappointed. Shaves as good as my $300+ razors. I had mine gold plated.

What about your Karve Brass is causing you to want to change?
Well just the fact that the Feather & Nacet blades may perform better in razors built around them. I still enjoy using my Karve as it's my only razor, but I guess this is how RAD is created lol. Chasing an experience/shave that you might feel is better. Has anyone used an Overlander with a Feather or Nacet?

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well just the fact that the Feather & Nacet blades may perform better in razors built around them. I still enjoy using my Karve as it's my only razor, but I guess this is how RAD is created lol. Chasing an experience/shave that you might feel is better. Has anyone used an Overlander with a Feather or Nacet?
I've not yet tried the Overlander. The most reasonably priced razor in my Big Dogs Category is the Karve Brass SB-G. Used with Personna Med Prep, Personna Israeli Platinum Red (if you are still able to find any "Made in Israel" stock), Feather or Wizamet blades, the SB-G is highly efficient and smooth. A highly effective razor.

A bit dated, but still very relevant is my comparison of ~US$75 to ~US$125 razors:

Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

If your budget is in the >US$200 range, the Blackland Razors Blackbird is excellent. If you can swing more, the Ti Blackbird is my current #1 DE razor.

Remember, just my opinions for what works on my face, skin and beard.

Hope this helps. :)

The Masa/Noda combi you are suggesting is WORLDS more agressive than the B Plate on the Karve. The standard Masa is about the same as a Karve C. The combo you described is at least a D and maybe an E. SIgnificant step up in the aggressiveness IME. And the full Noda kits is crazy aggressive. Fatip Grande OC MK1 level aggressive.
Could be exactly right. I don’t have Karve CB to compare to. I use full Nodachi base and cap for daily shaves with no issues. I don’t find this combo very aggressive at all. Fits in nice with the Blackbird and Yates H plate.

I know the OP wants something on the mild side which is why I suggested Masamune with Nodachi cap….nice and mild while being decently efficient. The Overlander fits the bill as well.

I find the Nacet works well in my Overlander.

Could be exactly right. I don’t have Karve CB to compare to. I use full Nodachi base and cap for daily shaves with no issues. I don’t find this combo very aggressive at all. Fits in nice with the Blackbird and Yates H plate.

I know the OP wants something on the mild side which is why I suggested Masamune with Nodachi cap….nice and mild while being decently efficient. The Overlander fits the bill as well.

I think you may think of yourself as more typical than you really are. Based on what you are saying, I think your face may be exceptionally tolerant. My skin is so sensitive, I got burn from the Yates M and the Noda/Masa combo. The full Noda was like a cheese grater over the face. Anyone that NEEDS a mild razor should not even think about any Nodachi component IMO. Now...I am probably at the other end of your blade tolerance, so "normal" may be somewhere in the middle.

I think you may think of yourself as more typical than you really are. Based on what you are saying, I think your face may be exceptionally tolerant. My skin is so sensitive, I got burn from the Yates M and the Noda/Masa combo. The full Noda was like a cheese grater over the face. Anyone that NEEDS a mild razor should not even think about any Nodachi component IMO. Now...I am probably at the other end of your blade tolerance, so "normal" may be somewhere in the middle.
Lol....cheese grater...ouch.

I used to have more sensitive skin when I first started out wet shaving (mainly my neck). Now that I've been doing it for many years, I think my skin has gotten less sensitive for some reason. My beard is also more grey than not these days so the more efficient razors seem to work better for me.

Everyone is certainly different in what works vs doesn't. Glad we have lots of choices out there.....and I've tried most of them...LOL. I do tend to prefer a slightly more blade forward design, but there are many razors out there that are too much for me to use daily as I found out during my trial phase (which never seems to end)...:biggrin1:

Lol....cheese grater...ouch.

I used to have more sensitive skin when I first started out wet shaving (mainly my neck). Now that I've been doing it for many years, I think my skin has gotten less sensitive for some reason. My beard is also more grey than not these days so the more efficient razors seem to work better for me.

Everyone is certainly different in what works vs doesn't. Glad we have lots of choices out there.....and I've tried most of them...LOL. I do tend to prefer a slightly more blade forward design, but there are many razors out there that are too much for me to use daily as I found out during my trial phase (which never seems to end)...:biggrin1:
I have been at this for about 7 years now and I think I have a pretty decent technique. But my skin has always been so insanely sensitive AND I have a crazy coarse and thick beard. I am definitely not your everyday shaver in any sense...feels like I have trialed every razor, blade, preshave and soap as well. Lol.

I have been at this for about 7 years now and I think I have a pretty decent technique. But my skin has always been so insanely sensitive AND I have a crazy coarse and thick beard. I am definitely not your everyday shaver in any sense...feels like I have trialed every razor, blade, preshave and soap as well. Lol.
Do you have any interest to try to the Overlander? Curious on your thoughts as I feel we share similarities with mild razors & sensitivity.

Top Bottom