What's new

What's in a name?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was talking with a friend the other day about "shortened" versions of given names, and I'll be honest - some of them puzzle me no end.

I mean, I get shortened versions of names such as Chris for Christine or Christopher, Dan for Daniel, Ed for Edgar, or Edward, even Hal for Harold or Pen for Penelope.

Then it starts to get strange: Hank for Henry, Jim for James, Milly for Mildred, Bob for Robert and Sadie or Sally for Sarah.
Not only is the derivation from the name strange, incorporating letters that are not in the given name, but in some cases, it's not shorter at all. Jim has the same number of syllables as James. How's that "short"?

Then there's the short versions of names that make so sense whatsoever:
I mean Daisy or Peg for Margaret? Pat or Patsy for Martha or Matilda?
How the heck do you get Dick for Richard?

My personal all time favorite is Jack for John.
Same number of letters, same number of syllables, letters that don't come from the given name.
It's just as easy to say "John" as it is "Jack", so how could that ever be considered a short version of the given name John?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I might try to get into it s little more in a minute, but there are different reasons for different names. Some are shorter. Some are more familiar or informal and what only a closer relative or friend might call you, like a nickname. Some are just how words change over time as they migrate through cultures and languages. You pretty much have to look at each name individually.

It is always fascinating to look into it, too.

Back in the late 60s I was working for a trucking company that ran single & team drivers, there was this driver Jack Smith (last name made up) that I was friendly with, we ran team together many times.
Then one day I received a letter from the Teamsters union that John Smith was appointed Shop steward. My next run I asked the dispatcher who is John Smith, he told me its Jack. After 3 years I finally knew his name.

My Cat is Suzette, usually called Suzi

1023161508.jpg

I also know a John that goes by Jack. It makes as much sense as the people who say "B" "B" "Q" instead of Barbeque or A.M. instead of Morning. It's not getting any shorter!

Funny this is in the barbershop as I had the same conversation with my barber this week. Particularly the Dick.. for Richard. No clue where that comes from.

I’m a Robert and go by Rob to my friends, immediate family call me Robbie, my least favorite. Exception being in professional settings I’m Robert, always. My dad is also Robert but goes by Bob and Bobby.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My wife tells me that she knows two women who are named Margaret, and they both go by Peggy. ????

I know 4 Peggys. 2 of them will slap you if you even think about calling them Margaret! The other 2 will just be puzzled.
Yeah, I could see Marge for Margaret, but how do you get Peggy?
Bob for Robert is a kind of strange one, as is Bill for William.
I can see Rob and I could see Will, but how did the first letters get changed to B?

I'm Edward and go by Ted (like the late Senator Kennedy). It was explained to me that in older days a man would name all his sons the same. So, if I was William Wilson and I had three sons they would also be William Wilson. In order to differentiate they would chose rhyming or alliterative names thus adding a "B" for Bill, while another kid goes by Will and still another by Wit.

The name Jack is a derivative of John, which originated in medieval England. The name went from John to Johnkin to Jankin to Jackin to, you guessed it, Jack.

Top Bottom