What's new

What's in a name?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My dad went by Mick so to distinguish between us I went by Mike though many of my own friends called me Mick too. Pretty much all my family go by shortened names including
Aunts, Peg(Margaret), Mamy(Mary) and Kit(Katherine)
Uncles, Jim(James), Art(Arthur)
One I did wonder about people using was Paudgie(pronounced podgie) for Patrick and I knew a fella went by Degsy(Derek) from Liverpool though being from Liverpool may explain it

Mike M

Remember "Billy 7" was a Bob Dylan song. Perhaps that character liked Arko. :001_smile
No that was Bilko
download (1).jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My dad‘s given name was William but he was often called Guillaume, the French equivalent being from Quebec. Both my siblings and I were called by derivatives of our given names and my Aunt Dorothy was always Dodé.

I'm a Richard, and always hated the name Dick. At primary school one of the teachers started calling me Dickie, I asked him politely to stop doing so. He didn't so I called him by his first name. He stopped. Idiot. I've never quite worked out how the name came about but the likeliest explanation seems to be that it rhymes with Rick, which is a recognisable shorter form of Richard and back in the dim and distant, people liked rhymes.

I spoke to a co-worker about that thread this afternoon. His name is Carlos and he told me that when he was in the states everybody used to call him Charlie...

Charlie, Carlos... i cannot get it...

Charlie Sheen was billed as Carlos Estevez either in Machete or the sequel.

Carl
Karl
Carroll
Chaz

are all forms of Charles.

Bill for William always puzzled me. Then there is Trip for the III. The last most puzzling to me.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Charlie Sheen was billed as Carlos Estevez either in Machete or the sequel.

Carl
Karl
Carroll
Chaz

are all forms of Charles.
Without looking it up, I think that's his real birth name.
I checked it. His 2 brothers, 1 sister & his uncle all go by their birth names

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My given name is George. I don't understand why my friends call me a**hole.
In second semester Spanish in college, the professor wanted us to go with Spanish sounding names. A lot of names have a Spanish equivalent- Owen is not one of them. It was known that my wife is Mex-Am, so he asked me what she called me. I flippantly said “Pendejo”. After everyone stopped laughing, that became my name for the semester. :)

Mike M

On your side they're called Willie until their Celtic consciousness is awakened (usually by a girl) at which point Willie becomes Liam.
Note that I'm not touching the low hanging off color fruit so obviously presented by the name Willie. You're welcome.
I'm so far south of the peace line it's OK to be called Billy. My neighbor is called Billy.

Slightly off topic...

My grandfather was born in 1906 and raised on a farm. It was very common that a hired man would live with the family that he was hired to work with. They provided him room and board plus paid him, that was the deal. My grandfather's first name (let's say) was Luther. For whatever reason the hired man began calling him Bill. His folks began calling him Bill, so did his friends and teachers. And that became his name that he was forever referred to as - Bill.

In the North of Ireland most people called William are called Billy.
In light of the present discussion...

I know somebody named William, gone by Billy since birth. Grand parents from N Ireland, Protestant. Grew up in the US, Catholic(parents doing). No politics intended, but should I just consult the magic 8 ball to make sense of this?

(somewhat serious, curious about Irish ancestry)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My dad went by Mick so to distinguish between us I went by Mike though many of my own friends called me Mick too. Pretty much all my family go by shortened names including
Aunts, Peg(Margaret), Mamy(Mary) and Kit(Katherine)
Uncles, Jim(James), Art(Arthur)
One I did wonder about people using was Paudgie(pronounced podgie) for Patrick and I knew a fella went by Degsy(Derek) from Liverpool though being from Liverpool may explain it
Mícheálín

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
In light of the present discussion...

I know somebody named William, gone by Billy since birth. Grand parents from N Ireland, Protestant. Grew up in the US, Catholic(parents doing). No politics intended, but should I just consult the magic 8 ball to make sense of this?

(somewhat serious, curious about Irish ancestry)
Stick with the 8 ball brother Irish history and politics are as clear as mud 😆.

Top Bottom