What's new

should I be dissatisfied with my Rockwell 6S?

Maybe a dumb question, but sincere. I started with DE razors about six months ago, with the Rockwell 6S. So far, it's been great. Close daily shaves, no irritation, no cuts or weepers (any more). I take 2.5 to 3 passes, using plate 5, Cella cream/soap, and a light touch. The result is (usually) a smooth face all over, even rubbing against the grain.

But as I've seen in recent threads, Rockwell is a brand that some experienced posters here have a low opinion of. (Others seem to like it well enough, however). The principle of YMMV is often set aside when it comes to Rockwell. The attitude I've seen is "it's OK to start with one, but anybody who really wants to see how good a modern DE razor can be should move on." (Not everybody thinks this, but enough do.)

So I'm at crossroads. I don't see myself trying a dozen or more razors on a quest for "the one." (There was another interesting recent thread on this topic.) I thought of trying one other one, maybe, in the $100 range, just to see how wide the difference is. I like the looks of the Karve Overlander. But I just watched a video (one guy's opinion, I know), and he compared its aggressiveness to the Rockwell on plate 3! (One of the prime beefs against the Rockwell is that it isn't aggressive enough, even on plate 6.)

So my question is this. Is there one other razor, ~$100 (or less), that you think best exposes the limitations of the Rockwell? Or will I have to try three, or seven, or twenty to find out?

Believe me, in other consumer areas, I've spent decades chasing down minuscule differences, looking for improvements. But I don't see myself doing that with DE razors.

Should I just accept the fact that I'm happy with the Rockwell? (Next up: do I need to try Proraso if I love Cella?)

If you're happy with your razor and don't want to collect or try them all, then I'd recommend not researching new razors. There will always be a new IT razor (or car, or house, or girl, or watch, etc) that everyone gushes over. If you want to try just because you enjoy using different razors, then go nuts. But if you're satisfied with the shave you're getting and you don't care to experiment, then you've won the game.

Quit while you're ahead or dive in deeper. Both are fine. But don't dive in just because some guy on a forum made you feel dumb for liking what you like.

Nobody says you have to move on from your 6s. I had mine and was happy with it for a long time. If it works for you, that’s great.

If you have the itch to find something that’s better that won’t break the bank, look at RazoRock, maybe a GameChanger or Lupo.

For under $100, you may never find one you like better. I personally love the 6S and plan to keep it in rotation with a Rex Ambassador and a Russian stainless fixed razor. For me, it just plain works. There are very few razors I would like to try, and those that I would like to try is due to the great reviews that peak my interest for other high end razors. The problem is that I don't have any pressing reason to purchase another razor.

If you like it and it works for you, what's to be dissatisfied with? If down the road you want to try something new for whatever reason, great. Don't rush into anything because "everyone else is doing it". And you don't have to spend top dollar either...there's a lot of nice razors out there for well under $100.00.

My Rockwell is nice enough, really. I have no complaints and I like using it, when I do.

It came into my rotation after owning other razors.
Baseplate thickness is probably double that of my GameChanger so for me is less maneuverable around my nose.

Thanks fellas, just liking everything you all are saying.

Want to be clear, nobody has ever made me feel stupid on this forum! (I can take care of that all by myself.)

I think I'll likely stand pat for a while, until I get bored or curious enough to branch out. If I stumble on a vintage Gillette at a thrift store or antique mall, I'll likely pick it up. And links to the Karve, Blackland Blackbird, and Tatara Muramasa remain on my Wishlist, in case my family ever feels like splurging.

But I'm not feeling the urgency. I collect too many other things as it is.

It's funny, but I've never gotten the impression that the 6s was anything other than a good quality razor. I don't own one, but I do have a T2, which I enjoy using. I drive a Honda. The guy up the road has a new Corvette, which turns heads, but my Honda does its job everyday with no worries.

If you're happy with your razor and don't want to collect or try them all, then I'd recommend not researching new razors. There will always be a new IT razor (or car, or house, or girl, or watch, etc) that everyone gushes over. If you want to try just because you enjoy using different razors, then go nuts. But if you're satisfied with the shave you're getting and you don't care to experiment, then you've won the game.

Quit while you're ahead or dive in deeper. Both are fine. But don't dive in just because some guy on a forum made you feel dumb for liking what you like.
Your answer coming from a razor company is a class act!

My first DE was the 6S and after some years and a cabinet full of very expensive razors I find myself grabbing it when I want a fast amazing close irritation free shave. It's a dam great little razor i feel.

Maybe a dumb question, but sincere. I started with DE razors about six months ago, with the Rockwell 6S. So far, it's been great. Close daily shaves, no irritation, no cuts or weepers (any more). I take 2.5 to 3 passes, using plate 5, Cella cream/soap, and a light touch. The result is (usually) a smooth face all over, even rubbing against the grain.

But as I've seen in recent threads, Rockwell is a brand that some experienced posters here have a low opinion of. (Others seem to like it well enough, however). The principle of YMMV is often set aside when it comes to Rockwell. The attitude I've seen is "it's OK to start with one, but anybody who really wants to see how good a modern DE razor can be should move on." (Not everybody thinks this, but enough do.)

So I'm at crossroads. I don't see myself trying a dozen or more razors on a quest for "the one." (There was another interesting recent thread on this topic.) I thought of trying one other one, maybe, in the $100 range, just to see how wide the difference is. I like the looks of the Karve Overlander. But I just watched a video (one guy's opinion, I know), and he compared its aggressiveness to the Rockwell on plate 3! (One of the prime beefs against the Rockwell is that it isn't aggressive enough, even on plate 6.)

So my question is this. Is there one other razor, ~$100 (or less), that you think best exposes the limitations of the Rockwell? Or will I have to try three, or seven, or twenty to find out?

Believe me, in other consumer areas, I've spent decades chasing down minuscule differences, looking for improvements. But I don't see myself doing that with DE razors.

Should I just accept the fact that I'm happy with the Rockwell? (Next up: do I need to try Proraso if I love Cella?)
As a newbie here myself, I can affirm you are in sight of the “rabbit hole”. Not a bad place to explore if you’ve the time and the interest in continuing the education and exploration of hardware and software for the fun of it. But as other’s wiser than myself have already stated, “Don’t let one opposing opinion (or a bunch of them for that matter) ruin your experience with any particular product”. If it works for you, and you are happy/satisfied with the results, why change? If we were all exactly the same, there would be only one razor, one blade, one brush, and one cream/soap. (And with a humorous nod to @FarmerTan, that evidently would be ARKO!) 😁

Enjoy the shaves, and the journey should you decide to explore! But don’t be disillusioned by a dissenting opinion. Sounds to me like you have a great razor for you already.

Curly

6C > 6S.
Caswell Massey pre-shave almond oil with CELLA. Compliment what you already have and appreciate. No need to get rid of the horse, just give it a new saddle. Speaking of leather, did you try giving your razor some love with a new leather case? Might just change your opinion of your 6S.

Caswell Massey also has the Envoy. It has one setting so you will not be tempted again to change the Rockwell plate.

Lots of people like Razorock razor. Though if you like Rockwell get that matching razor mail box tin thing blade bank. Rockwell also makes a metal stand. Accessories can make your razor feel more appreciated.

A dumb answer though ... Merkur slant, no barber pole. And then the only razor after the slant is the barber pole. And then another barber pole. And then a barber pole brush by Zenith.

Proraso is for professionals, you might not realize professional gear has a certain feel to it.

I say stop worrying about a razor, get the 6C and make a leather case for the two together and get a travel razor for a third combination.

Or buy everything and then get 10 new aftershaves.

I considered the 6s early on but didn’t get it because the blade tabs stick out (personal preference).
I currently shave with a Yates and am very happy with it. I think I got it for like $125.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

You sound NOTHING like a Vendor my friend!

Never tried your products, but you seem universally liked here. Thanks for your honesty.

@foppy : old DE razors that may not be pretty are still available for sale, used, here and elsewhere. Sometimes at very reasonable cost.

You sound NOTHING like a Vendor my friend!

Never tried your products, but you seem universally liked here. Thanks for your honesty.

@foppy : old DE razors that may not be pretty are still available for sale, used, here and elsewhere. Sometimes at very reasonable cost.
FarmerTan is spot on!

Blackland’s response is nothing like you’d expect from a manufacturer. That’s a credit to Blackland Razors! And I do have two of their exquisitely fine razors. Had a bad initial experience with one that I posted here on a thread titled “What razor were you really excited to get but ended up disappointed with?”

I had to recant my post after “learning it’s shaving curve”. It’s become one of my favorite razors.

All that said, I stand by my earlier post. To paraphrase, “If you’re happy with your razor, ignore what everyone else says about it!”

Happy 6S Shaves!

Curly Out.

Respect... ❤️🙌🏽❤️

The title of this thread piqued my interest. To echo what has been said, if you're getting good shaves and are happy with what you have, irrespective of the opinions of others on your set up, keep with what you have.

If you want to explore other avenues now or at some point in the future, that's fine too.

I don't have experience with your particular razor, and am unlikely to as I prefer straights now, but back when I used DE one of my preferred blades was one that is oft derided on many fora as being a bad blade. As they worked well for me, I paid no attention to the posts and continued to use them. I would suggest the same applies to razors.

Top Bottom