What's new

My wife's shiny new induction hob.

Greetings all.

Was just browsing this thread and I thought I'd post my wife's shiny new induction hob on here. Bit of a revelation compared to gas; much easier to clean and it heats up very quick! Keeps the kitchen cool as well!!

(Brand name blanked out as I'm unsure of the advertising policies on this website)

hob.png

Jason.

Very nice! My main problem with the flat cooktop is that I use it as a counter and then turn on the wrong burner. Maybe that's not a problem with induction, though.

Very nice! My main problem with the flat cooktop is that I use it as a counter and then turn on the wrong burner. Maybe that's not a problem with induction, though.
Induction doesn't use heat. It uses a magnet to generate heat in the pan itself. The hob only gets warm by the reflected heat from the pan. You can even place a tea towel on the hob and place the pan on top of it (to avoid scratching the glass) and it will still work. The towel doesn't get hot enough to catch fire.

On a side note we had to buy a new set of induction compatible pans as induction will only work if a magnet will stick to the pan.

Jason.

Greetings all.

Was just browsing this thread and I thought I'd post my wife's shiny new induction hob on here. Bit of a revelation compared to gas; much easier to clean and it heats up very quick! Keeps the kitchen cool as well!!

(Brand name blanked out as I'm unsure of the advertising policies on this website)

View attachment 1462676
Jason.
These are a great alternative to gas. Much better than a straight electric. Here in the USA gas is starting to get a bad rap for polluting peoples indoor air. I understand recently in new york city gas ovens and stoves won't be allowed in any new construction.

Last edited:
These are a great alternative to gas. Much better than a straight electric. Here in the USA gas is starting to get a bad rap for polluting peoples indoor air. I understand recently in new york city gas ovens and stoves won't be allowed in any new construction.
No gas ranges is a bummer. My great grandmother used a gas range for 102 years without any health issues. Nice upgrade BTW…wishing you all many great meals on the new range.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Greetings all.

View attachment 1462676
Jason.
I have a friend that bought one because his wife and son almost burned their house down cooking French fries with a old electric type of stove. The induction stove reduces open flame to flammable oils when hot, boils water very quickly also.
It takes a short learning curve to figure it out but they seem happy with it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I believe my buddy cut out a round piece of sheet steel that his wife puts on the glass stove top so she can use her old non-magnetic pots and pans with.

She loves that stove. I'm trying to get my wife to buy one. She can cook ANYTHING, lol. I'm so spoiled. Friends are up visiting for the weekend so she's going to be showing off and I'm planning on gaining a few pounds!

No gas ranges is a bummer. My great grandmother used a gas range for 102 years without any health issues. Nice upgrade BTW…wishing you all many great meals on the new range.
Older houses usually have more air infiltration than newer houses. The tighter the house the more polluting the gas stove will be.

FarmerTan

Lol, well, I'm the redneck.

I've been trying to convince my bride that there ain't nuttin' wrong with her 50 year old electric stove!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I am sure you'll be VERY happy with it. As far as I'm concerned induction > gas. And I've used a few stovetops. They aren't perfectly suited to the restaurant kitchen, but at home... oh yes.

FarmerTan

I am sure you'll be VERY happy with it. As far as I'm concerned induction > gas. And I've used a few stovetops. They aren't perfectly suited to the restaurant kitchen, but at home... oh yes.
I want my wife to get one, but she's not ever going to. I will die married to a millionaire, doggone. Trying to get her to buy an easy to clean glass topped one is going to be a stretch!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Looks great! Enjoy. So high technology
Sometimes I have trouble keeping the glass top electric clean or getting off burned on crap. When overflowing water burns on there.

Congrats on the new stovetop! I hope you and the missus enjoy it for years/decades to come.

Personally, I prefer gas stoves. I've yet to see an induction stovetop that can work with a variety of woks and that will also roast peppers. (I grew up in Southern California, I have a multicultural palate.) 😁

Very quick heat adjustment on the induction stoves, compared to older electric ones. Quick to bring water to the boil. I also like the automatic timer features. Put on a pressure cooker for instance and the stove takes care of the rest for you while you do something else. For pots & pans, cast iron, carbon steel, or stainless steel with the right composition all seem to work well.

FarmerTan

Congrats on the new stovetop! I hope you and the missus enjoy it for years/decades to come.

Personally, I prefer gas stoves. I've yet to see an induction stovetop that can work with a variety of woks and that will also roast peppers. (I grew up in Southern California, I have a multicultural palate.) 😁
We have propane for backup to our woodstove. Natural gas stops a quarter mile from my property. That's why I have an electric stove.

We have talked for years about building an outdoor kitchen, for canning food in the summer.

Now I'm old, and with just the two of us here in this old house I think I would rather be fishing in the summer instead of dipping green beans into a jar that I can probably get at the store for 50¢, lol!

But it is hard to beat fresh veggies you picked yourself!

Or I think it'd be more fun traveling around the Kountry eating BBQ with B and B members like @dmshaver !

We have propane for backup to our woodstove. Natural gas stops a quarter mile from my property. That's why I have an electric stove.

We have talked for years about building an outdoor kitchen, for canning food in the summer.

Now I'm old, and with just the two of us here in this old house I think I would rather be fishing in the summer instead of dipping green beans into a jar that I can probably get at the store for 50¢, lol!

But it is hard to beat fresh veggies you picked yourself!

Or I think it'd be more fun traveling around the Kountry eating BBQ with B and B members like @dmshaver !
I think induction stovetops are pretty cool, but I doubt they'd work for my cooking preferences.

Top Bottom