What's new

My wife's shiny new induction hob.

My wife would really like natural gas. As would I. You turn it up, it gets hot, down it cools off. Those electric coils stay hot forever.
That's what I was saying about the induction stoves. It is more like cooking on gas. When you turn it down, it goes down right now, instead of staying hot and gradually cooling off.

BTW, for ovens, I think I'd rather have an electric oven than a gas oven. So, induction burners with an electric oven is no sacrifice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Once I become independently wealthy like you are, my friend, we can go on the road together & eat BBQ wherever we feel like!
We could be the next Bing Crosby and Bob Hope!

Except only my Mother thinks I can sing......so.... I'll have to be Mr Hope!

I had gas jobs for years. Then electric induction.
Firstly, they are are controllable as gas, instant heat and as controllable and redponsive as gas
Only the part covered by the pan gets heated. Any part of the heating area not covered by the pan stays cold.
A very easy hob to stay shiny and clean. Gas burners get filthy,
A test was done by a consumer magazine. Induction beat gas on speed to bring water to boil.
Yes, old types of electric hot plates took ages to cool. Not. So inductions.onlyminutes.
I'm in UK, and America seems to be slow to adopt some things. Every time I see house buying tv shows, all kitchens seem to have the same sort of hobs....solid electric. Do get up to date!!
T

FarmerTan

Firstly, they are are controllable as gas, instant heat and as controllable and redponsive as gas
Only the part covered by the pan gets heated. Any part of the heating area not covered by the pan stays cold.
A test was done by a consumer magazine. Induction beat gas on speed to bring water to boil.
Yes, old types of electric hot plates took ages to cool. Not. So inductions.onlyminutes.
I'm in UK, and America seems to be slow to adopt some things. Every time I see house buying tv shows, all kitchens seem to have the same sort of hobs....solid electric. Do get up to date!!
T
So, so true. You folks were using front load washing machines in homes for years before us. Your portion sizes of food are actually sensible.

So, so true. You folks were using front load washing machines in homes for years before us. Your portion sizes of food are actually sensible.
I don't know if I can trust a country that puts beans on toast* and looks askance at peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to offer cooking advice. 😉

*I have never tried this abomination, but after speaking with someone from England, it does sound absolutely delicious! I definitely want to try it!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If we ever were to remodel our kitchen (a thought that gives me the screamin' willies), I'd strongly consider replacing our gas cooktop with induction.

FarmerTan

If we ever were to remodel our kitchen (a thought that gives me the screamin' willies), I'd strongly consider replacing our gas cooktop with induction.
Yet another voice in the Wilderness that I can point my wife to so I can get my way! (She is most DEFINITELY a Fussy *evil* Genius in her own right.)
I don't know if I can trust a country that puts beans on toast* and looks askance at peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to offer cooking advice. 😉

*I have never tried this abomination, but after speaking with someone from England, it does sound absolutely delicious! I definitely want to try it!
Baked beans on toast is delicious. My Dad would sometimes have cheddar cheese on his apple pie, but those children of the Great Depression ate some strange things.... LoL, and they darn tootin' SURELY cleaned their plates! And no complaints. Shoot, I NEVER gave any back talk at the table. We went through some times were just glad to have meat, let alone pudding!

I got an induction stove with a convection oven in 2017. It still looks like brand new. The secret to not scratch it is to never slide stuff on it. I keep a hand towel on it at all times. If something needs to be placed on the stove top that isn't a pot/pan with food in it, it sits on the hand towel. I wipe it down every so often with the same vinegar/water mixture I use on the wooden countertops.

In my experience the induction cooktop is much quicker than gas and the response is incredible. My mother wouldn't give up her old electric stove. I bought her an induction hot plate and she loves it. They're less than $60 on Amazon. Get a hot plate or two and 12 gauge extension cords to match and there's your outdoor kitchen. If you use two make sure you use two separate circuits.

FarmerTan

Get a hot plate or two and 12 gauge extension cords to match and there's your outdoor kitchen. If you use two make sure you use two separate circuits.
Dude! This is genius!

You just know I will be suggesting this to her Royal War Department, and claiming that the idea was all mine!

Yeah, you're right. She'll know that one of you dude's thought it up.

She knows I'm too lazy for an original thought!

The secret to good beans on toast is lots of (salted) butter on the toast. Something magical happens when butter and beans mix together - but it's got to be Heinz beans.
Is there a youtube (or some other) tutorial on how to make beans on toast that you'd recommend? I'm not sure how the beans are cooked (or even if they're cooked) nor how much beans should be heaped on a slice of toast.

Is there a youtube (or some other) tutorial on how to make beans on toast that you'd recommend? I'm not sure how the beans are cooked (or even if they're cooked) nor how much beans should be heaped on a slice of toast.
The beans cone in tins in a tomato sauce, and you just heat them in a saucepan. Serve on hot buttered toast. I always enhance them by adding a small amount of tomato puree to them, or fried chopped bacon.
Now, why is American chocolate so terrible!

The beans cone in tins in a tomato sauce, and you just heat them in a saucepan. Serve on hot buttered toast. I always enhance them by adding a small amount of tomato puree to them, or fried chopped bacon.
Now, why is American chocolate so terrible!
It's probably sacrilege to say this, but I prefer American chocolate to European chocolate. The European stuff is too sweet! Then again, I'm not exactly known for having a sweet tooth. Even as a kid, I always preferred water and tea to soda (I think our friends across the pond call it "pop?"). That said, I like root beer and a number of soda ("pop") drinks well enough. Still, when given a choice, I poured myself a glass of water. Or sweet tea. I had (and still have) a weakness for sweet tea. Real Southern sweet tea is a nectar fit for the gods!

T
This is so true. I work in the construction trades. When ever we get a new construction product its been used in Europe first for years. In America the construction trades are slow to adopt new products. No one wants to be on the hook for a failed product.

Top Bottom