What's new

Is Battery power taking over the lawn/garden business?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Stihl battery chainsaws. The city I used to work for was considering switching to all Stihl battery saws before I left

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Welp, I won't be buying any more of the Ego brand. My 6mo old mower quit propelling on its own. After a half hour hold time I finally talk to someone and she has me lift the mower 1ft off the ground, just the back wheels. Then try the self propel again. Nope, didn't work. So she says I have to register it. I say OK, let's register it now. She says i need the serial number. I say OK, I'm looking right at it and I have the receipt in my hand. So she says I have to upload the receipt online. I say can't I do that later and I can give you all the info you need right now to register it and get the claim going. At this point I can tell she no longer wants to help me. She says again that i need to upload the receipt. So I finally say So you can't help me I have to do it all myself? Yes. OK bye *click*

And with that i will never buy another Ego product again.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We have 2 shark robot vacuums in the house and I love 'em. Today when I dropped the pup off for playtime, I saw the place across the street had a Husqvarna robot mower. Big property, close to 2 acres maybe - with some hills and some trees.
The thing mows (almost silently) and when it needs to, goes home, docks and recharges the battery - then out again till it's done.
Sounds alarms if it's picked up. PIN code alarm reset. Auto delay for weather. Expensive - but... it's nice.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We have 2 shark robot vacuums in the house and I love 'em. Today when I dropped the pup off for playtime, I saw the place across the street had a Husqvarna robot mower. Big property, close to 2 acres maybe - with some hills and some trees.
The thing mows (almost silently) and when it needs to, goes home, docks and recharges the battery - then out again till it's done.
Sounds alarms if it's picked up. PIN code alarm reset. Auto delay for weather. Expensive - but... it's nice.

Is the lawn one of those perfect suburban lawns that is flat corner to corner with actual GRASS, not ”field grass” and no weeds, rocks, or dog poop?

I’ve seen these little robot mowers and I laugh thinking that it would be able to handle my yard with ruts, holes, rocks, dog poop, and slight inclines here and there.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m seeing more and more commercials for battery powered lawn stuff. Stihl has put out a new battery powered set that is getting a lot of air play. Craftsman, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc. They all have battery powered lawn stuff now.

I bought a Craftsman battery powered hedge trimmers a couple months ago that I got for 50% off. The only reason I bought it was the sale price. But I must say....it’s pretty awesome.

My boss has the battery powered Milwaukee chainsaw and weed eaters - he loves it. The electric company in town switched to all battery powered equipment from Stihl - rumor is they absolutely love the stuff.

I’m really considering going all in on this battery powered stuff. I need a leaf blower for sure.

So what ya think? Do you own any battery powered lawn stuff?
I moved from house where the lawn required a riding mower to a house with a rather small lawn and bought a mower, trimmer and blower. All work great - good decision. Hope my grandson is enjoying my old tractor.

When I lived in NJ my house was on a 10-acre lot. The front yard was all field grass except for a small grass yard of perhaps .25 acres. I had a Craftsman 26 hp. riding tractor-lawn mower. It would take me 6 hours to cut the field grass. I wonder how long a battery-powered tractor would last on a charge cutting field grass.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just watched a video of the Husqvarna Automower. The thing is nice that’s for sure. And they show it going up a steep incline and running over crab apples. If I had a nicer yard I could see myself owning one. Here it just wouldn’t make sense.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Although their first customer service rep sucked. Their second guy was a little better. Apparently there is not a service center anywhere close to me even though I bought the mower from the Lowes in town. So they sent a brand new mower (without the battery).

DB11F5AA-4CC2-462F-98F7-1B499A66061F.jpeg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Been awhile since this one was live - which my 20+ YO trimmer isn't as of this afternoon. Wandered in here to try and gain some user knowledge (not Amazon ratings) but still have a query that is generic. I have some DeWalt cordless stuff and batteries, can those 20V s be used with any other brands? I really hate having to have multiple anythings (save razors & brushes of course)

The batteries all look similar on a computer screen, anyone tried a DeWalt batt on say a Black & Decker tool? Thanks to an expert

20 volt Dewalt WILL NOT interchange with 20 volt Black and Decker. For hand-held tool usage, battery is the way to go. As for lawn mowers, especially riding mowers, stick with gas power. Former employees of mine tell me again and again the battery stuff, even the extreme costly stuff, CAN'T do what a gas-powered unit can do. They should know. A number of battery-power customers have gone back to gas power riding mowers. Also, a neighbor of mine two houses away just returned his EVO mower and bought a gas-powered Toro. Told me the battery EVO can't do what the new gas-powered Toro machine can do. Battery power is close, but has a ways to go yet, regardless of what they have said. Those of you that have bought a battery unit will learn this soon enough. Just a matter of time before you miss the gas-powered mower, trust me.

Been awhile since this one was live - which my 20+ YO trimmer isn't as of this afternoon. Wandered in here to try and gain some user knowledge (not Amazon ratings) but still have a query that is generic. I have some DeWalt cordless stuff and batteries, can those 20V s be used with any other brands? I really hate having to have multiple anythings (save razors & brushes of course)

The batteries all look similar on a computer screen, anyone tried a DeWalt batt on say a Black & Decker tool? Thanks to an expert
Short answer: no.
There is no cross-compatibility among any brands that I know of. There are a few monkey-hacks where you cut away some of the plastic housing to make it fit in another tool, but that's dangerous and ill-advised.
However, some brands tout cross-compatibility of batteries within their own brand, such as DeWalt and Craftsman.
The modern DeWalt Flexvolt batteries automatically alter their voltage output to match any DeWalt cordless power tool within a class.
So maybe get another DeWalt. They make trimmers and sell them with or without a battery.
I cannot vouch for their quality.
DeWalt used to be a respected name in the American power tool industry...once upon a time.
But to-day I'll guess everything they sell is manufactured in Red China.
I simply buy vintage American or European power tools with a cord. Ya just can't kill 'em!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
20 volt Dewalt WILL NOT interchange with 20 volt Black and Decker. For hand-held tool usage, battery is the way to go. As for lawn mowers, especially riding mowers, stick with gas power. Former employees of mine tell me again and again the battery stuff, even the extreme costly stuff, CAN'T do what a gas-powered unit can do. They should know. A number of battery-power customers have gone back to gas power riding mowers. Also, a neighbor of mine two houses away just returned his EVO mower and bought a gas-powered Toro. Told me the battery EVO can't do what the new gas-powered Toro machine can do. Battery power is close, but has a ways to go yet, regardless of what they have said. Those of you that have bought a battery unit will learn this soon enough. Just a matter of time before you miss the gas-powered mower, trust me.
Power v. Run time. I’ve gone with the ryobi line. The battery has a run time. So if you know your task you can judge / estimate the battery size. Longer run time is of course more money and heavier. Important to keep in mind with a hand held device. I’m very satisfied with a battery mower but I have a very small yard.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As an update.

No problems at all with my Greenworks stuff earlier in this thread. I had a kid 4 doors up come clean my eves troughs out last fall, he brought his 56v Ego blower and said it would be no problem. He did about 3 feet of one side of the house and came down, got my Greenworks and went back up lol. Even on Turbo his Ego wouldnt do it. He didnt even use Turbo on mine and most of the time he wasnt even at full throttle.

Cleaning up the leaves last year was simple and easy. No more rakes for me.

Both batteries and chargers are also fine. Greenworks is good stuff. I still use the blower almost daily. One of the better investments I've made.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m looking for a electric blower to replace my gas powered one due to requests in the household. Apparently the gas blowers are the worst in terms of pollution and noise. I’m ok with buying a new tool but I won’t get rid of the gas one I’ll keep it on reserve. (Possibility use when no one else is home)
I’ve been doing some research as to mph trying to compare apples to apples on a possible replacement. Probably I will go ryobi as I have many tools and can interchange batteries and chargers.

I have an EGO leaf blower, and weed Wacker, and really like both. One of my grandsons has the whole EGO lawn care system, and says that they are the best.
I know that when weed wacking, I give out before the battery does. :blush:

I’m looking for a electric blower to replace my gas powered one due to requests in the household. Apparently the gas blowers are the worst in terms of pollution and noise. I’m ok with buying a new tool but I won’t get rid of the gas one I’ll keep it on reserve. (Possibility use when no one else is home)
I’ve been doing some research as to mph trying to compare apples to apples on a possible replacement. Probably I will go ryobi as I have many tools and can interchange batteries and chargers.
I went all in on Ryobi haha. I have a Ryobi electric blower and am pretty happy with it. My stuff is all the 18v line but not sure if they have a 40v blower.

It eats the battery fairly quickly but if you’re like me you have at least 6 fully charged laying around at all times.

I have the blower, drill, impact wrench, impact driver, tire inflater, reciprocating saw, chainsaw, and more all in the 18v line. I was particularly impressed with the chainsaw. You’re not taking down an old growth oak tree with it but that’s out of ky pay grade. My father in law liked mine he bought the same one and told me just the other day he cut down a 15 foot cherry tree with it no problem.

I agree gas is better for heavier duty use though. My pressure washer is Ryobi but a model with a gas Honda engine. Gas 2 stage snow blower also for the snow here in the northeast.

Frankly, I don’t mow my own lawn and I don’t intend to start.

I purchased the EGO lawnmower last summer, after my neighbor got one and he let me test drive his. So far, it's doing pretty good. On occasion (a couple of times with each mow), it will stop with the blinking yellow light, which I think indicates the spot I'm mowing is too thick and if the blades sense too much resistance, it shuts down for 10 seconds. I hope to God that I don't have to deal with customer service, given what I've read above. I'll just take it as a small quirk. My gas mower would sometimes stall as well in thick sections of the lawn.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They're getting there, at least for the small ones.

Guy at Lowes stressed the difference between electric (corded) and battery.

Corded blower and trimmer here, but keeping the gas mower. Refusing the "transition!" :devil:

AA

Top Bottom