What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

The razors you list are all quite different.
I agree :thumbup1: .

I don't know how the Blackbird looks machined but it seems to be quite fine, as this is going to be your fancy razor you might want to go all in, IMO.
I have the machined BB. Althought I prefer polished, the airplane theme of the BB suits with the machined finish.

BB is probably my favorite razor. Love the blade feel, efficient and weight. If I nitpick, I would critique the sharp corners in the handle and the length (could be 90mm instead 85mm). But is minor minor critiques (there is no perfection;) ).

I recommend a razor that isn’t on your list - the Karve Overlander.

I’m lusting an Overlander. So many goods reviews. A smooth mild-mid razor. But I never have a brass razor, I don’t know if I will like the patina. :)

Sure looks that way considering it's $140!
Only thing is that I want to stay away from the mass produced name brands.
I'd like something more artisan.
Ah ok. Timeless make some very good razors. The 68 and 95 are excellent smooth shavers for the money. Above The Tie also has their new Windsor series razor. The RH plate is regarded very highly.

The Karve Christopher Bradley C,D plates while being excellent, the G plate is in Shave Nirvana land. Extremely efficient and smooth. Karve also have the new Overlander razor which is excellent for every day shaves.

In the territory of every day shaving there is also the Charcoal Goods Everyday razor. It has design, functionality all rolled in to one excellent premium razor. level 2 and 3 in the new generation 3 based on what kind of shaver you really are looking out for - mild or aggressive.

Since you also have the Blackland Blackbird shortlisted which is an excellent efficent but aggresive razor, I assume something like the higher plates of Karve or Charcoal Goods or ATT RH would do the job handsomely.

Edit : While you've indicated about mass market brands, recently I got the CNC Muhle R41 GS - amazing shaver, while not artisan per se, something to be looked at. In fact any well known branded razors which are CNC milled stainless steel or brass or bronze would certainly come in the artisan category in my book, as they have been influenced to move beyond their traditional alloy razors due to upping the game in the CNC razor land by the various well known artisans.

Your top 3 choices match my top 3. Yates is my personal favorite. I recommend also getting the M plate as well as the H. I was quite surprised by how efficient the M is. I believe Jake says the "M" is for "medium," not "mild."

The Nodachi on a Masamune handle is a great handle choice. As with the Yates, consider adding a Masamune baseplate to pair with the Nodachi topcap.

Of the razors you listed, I only have the Blackbird, bought used here on the BST. I like blade feel, actually, I want blade feel and IMHO the Blackbird has perfect blade feel and excellent efficiency. I get Muhle R41 results without the aggressiveness.

I'm considering other razors because of RAD, not because I'm not satisfied with the Blackbird. Others I'm considering, listed in order of probable preference, are the Yates 921 M/H, the Masamune, and the Overlander.

I don't know how the Blackbird looks machined but it seems to be quite fine, as this is going to be your fancy razor you might want to go all in, IMO.
Here you go.

20220521_124238.jpg

Top:
Blackbird machined OC 85mm / Timeless Slim 0.5 OC with Barberpole handle polished 85mm

Down:
Blackbird machined SB 85mm / Timeless Slim 0.5 OC with Crown handle polished 85mm.
20220521_124137.jpg

When I’ll buy a new razor that’s the points I always check:

1. Weight

If it’s your first expensive razor, be advised that SS razors are much heavier than Zamak razors. I like razor with weight around 100 grams. I’ve bought a Wolfie that weighs 130g and I have to get another handle to solve the problem (more $$$ :( ). Some SS razors are a Thor’s hammer :) (Timeless).

2. Shaving angle.

Some razor are best using neutral angle, some shallow, some steep. I like steep angle. I never get a CB Karve because using a shallow angle seems unnatural to me. See your style first.

3. Blade feel

Some people love blade feel, some hate. I like some blade feel, it’s important to feel where the blade is. My 1.25 Wolfie when using a super steep angle is like shaving without a blade. Many times I overshave. I’m adjusting my technique with this razor. For now, my Blackbird is the sweet spot, there is a enjoyable blade feel.

4. Efficacy

Some people have thin hair, some course. Some have dense beards, some not. Define if you need a high efficient razor or not.

5. Finish

Some finishes have “drag” or “suction” feeling. I really don’t like dragging. I sold my 6S because of the dragging. I always opted for polished finishes when available.

6. Handle length

Some people prefer short handles, some long handles

7. Material

Some like patina, some don’t.

In conclusion

Compare the features you like in the razors you already have and see what you are looking for.
Excellent questions/points which the OP should consider and answer by replying to the crowd 😉.

Recently got this package from Timeless and have enjoyed:
Ti Open Comb .95 base plate and Scalloped .95 base plate in matte and polished.
Probably should have gotten the barber pole handle with the polished but I really like the crown and the way it feels in my hand. Who knows, may add some changes later. The .5 slim has my curiosity, (RAD), working overtime!

Attachments

• A5926190-BBC6-4DEC-8431-FF4A7528F552.jpeg
    A5926190-BBC6-4DEC-8431-FF4A7528F552.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
That’s a guy with a refined taste 😎
Thanks 😊
Love the BB and the Timeless Crown handle.
Do you match them?
Maybe one day I get the 0.5 slim to marry my Crown handle, maybe one day …

The Slim 0.5 OC is a crazy good shaver (@Iridian & @GlazedBoker: thanks for enabling), however, she's most likely not a proper recommendation for the OP (since it's an open comb razor).

But maybe (!) the SB .5 Slim is. GlazedBoker has made an extensive review of the SB Slim vs. Lupo. 95 (the latter is not too far away from the Lupo .72 in feel and performance). I'll have to look up the link.

Edit: post #1203

On a side note, what about an adjustable razor. The Rex Ambassador might (!) fit as well into the budge (via BST).

We need more information from @LRod

Last edited:
I was in a similar dilemma, about getting a more expensive modern razor and I've managed to find a sweet deal on a polished SB Blackbird and I think it will arrive next week. I've heard that the polished version feels a bit better compared to the machine, which some say that it drags a bit when shaving.

which some say that it drags a bit when shaving.
My first 2 shaves with the machined BB I felt some suction, not a drag. There is a little tiny angle you could get this suction, but not a drag. As I prefer shaving steep, no more suction. I think even in the polish if you contact all the plane area of the head with a flat portion of your skin, you can feel some kind of suction. But there is a little probability to this happen.

I feel a dragging sensation with the 6S. I avoid that kind of finish like a plague. 2 shaves and I sold the 6S.

My first 2 shaves with the machined BB I felt some suction, not a drag. There is a little tiny angle you could get this suction, but not a drag. As I prefer shaving steep, no more suction. I think even in the polish if you contact all the plane area of the head with a flat portion of your skin, you can feel some kind of suction. But there is a little probability to this happen.

I feel a dragging sensation with the 6S. I avoid that kind of finish like a plague. 2 shaves and I sold the 6S.

I still have nightmares from my 6S. I wanted the 6S to be my main modern razor and to also pretty much cure my addiction from wanting to use other razor's, but even after a couple of months of shaving with it I just couldn't like it no matter what blades and different angles and pressure I try. On top of that, I didn't like the way the razor felt on my face, because of the finish.

I also feel the same way about the matte finish. Ever since I sold my 6S I felt traumatized and I also avoid razors with rough finish like a plague.

I never had the chance to get my hands on the 6S, but I wholeheartedly second hugosf's evaluation on the machined BB. It's not an issue for me.

Interesting. My Blackbird is the polished version and on my first shave, I felt some suction, not drag. Since going a little steeper with it, I feel no more suction.

Also, I have a 6C with no drag, never had a 6S.

I still have nightmares from my 6S.

Also, I have a 6C with no drag, never had a 6S.
My first DE was a 6C. I loved these razor. But is very mild using a 3 and 4 plate. Using the 5 and 6 too uncomfortable and not so efficient. And the razor head is too fat.

When I upgraded to the 6C. I didn’t like the finish. And the razor is too heavy and unbalanced. The weight towards the handle is a big turn off.

My first DE was a 6C. I loved these razor. But is very mild using a 3 and 4 plate. Using the 5 and 6 too uncomfortable and not so efficient. And the razor head is too fat.

When I upgraded to the 6C. I didn’t like the finish. And the razor is too heavy and unbalanced. The weight towards the handle is a big turn off.

I wouldn't call it the worst razor ever, but it's far from the best either. I really don't understand why so many Youtubers are liking it so much and many of them even claim that it's their favorite razor despite the fact that they own razors from brands like Wolfman, Karve, Razorock, Charcoal Goods, Yates, Timeless, Carbon etc.

I wouldn't call it the worst razor ever, but it's far from the best either.
It’s not a bad razor not at all. At time, the different plates are very innovative. But when I buy the Gamechanger … it’s better and cheaper.

The finish is very strange. CNC is better than the MIM construction. At the current prices, there are better options now. We have the Era for 75.00, Winning for 50.00,GC for 60.00

Alright folks, so I'm ready to buy!
I need your help on what razor to pick!
Note: I've never even touched a high end razor so this will be fun!
You might have seen the thread I created a couple days ago:

I made that thread in order to get an idea of what the "quality" difference was between a lower cost razor and a "premium" razor.
You all racked up 5 pages worth of posts in that thread and it was full of excellent information!
Based on the information you posted, I now know that I want at least one premium razor which will cure my RAD (for now), LOL!!
I've set the budget up to $200 for my new razor to be. I might stretch it to $250 if need be or can be obviously less than $200!

My shaving habits are:
Daily 2 pass WTG & XTG night shaver which is content with a DFS. I like smooth but also like some blade feel and tend to favor razors that are mid to upper mid aggressiveness. Razorock Lupo .72 has been a decent performer so far for my particular results.
I also tend to favor razors with heads that aren't huge. For reference, I bought and tried a Merkur Futur and sold it the following week!
Short/mid size handles are my favorites!

Now the fun part. These are the ones I'm primarily looking at.
All models I'm looking at are closed comb and I most value function above aesthetics!
These are the top 3:
1. Tatara Masamune Nodachi with the Muramasa handle
2. Yates 921 machined or maybe polished with the H plate
3. Blackland Blackbird stainless machined with standard handle

View attachment 1459242View attachment 1459241View attachment 1459240

Next up are other possible contenders:
4. Timeless .95 stainless Matte or Polished with Barber pole handle (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section and it would be cheaper)
5. Above The Tie .80 Windsor Brushed matte finish with Kronos Handle
6. Karve Christopher Bradley Stainless with C or D plate and short handle
7. Karve Christopher Bradley Brass with C or D plate and short handle (This is the cheapest of the bunch but I added it because of the praise that it gets)
8. Timeless .38 Bronze (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section as well and it would be cheaper)

View attachment 1459261View attachment 1459260View attachment 1459259View attachment 1459258View attachment 1459257

So that's the (long) list making it tough to choose one.
I'd love to hear experiences and opinions on the brands/models that I've listed.
Your opinions matter and would help me narrow one down to what might work for me.
I hope to have one of them ordered in the next couple days.

LRod
You've listed some of my top users....great choices. My favorites out of your list are:
Yates H
Blackbird
Windsor SSRH
Nodachi

Never been much of a Timeless fan, but they make nice razors. Didn't like the Karve CB either, but love the Overlander.

Last edited:
Top Bottom