What's new

Stirling Soaps

Grabbed a couple of samples

View attachment 1450373
barbershop is excellent and for whatever reason I think it lathers better than the other two I have (executive man and marg. in the arctic). I would rate them in the order written above. please let me know what you think of weekend in malibu. that, along with boat drinks, the coconut, and some other fruity ones are on my summer agenda this year. I have noticed the marg. to have seemingly lost some of the menthol effect as I progress thru the tub. I may need to try a glacial one. also a mentholated bar soap from that sounds just about perfect in a cool shower after an afternoon of yard work.

Don’t be persuaded by the price.
Stirling allows for a class A shave right from your own home.

I recommend Barbershop, if you like a sweet rich smell. There are so many others.
Honestly you can’t go wrong.

I would go for a popular scent that you don’t have and see of Stirling becomes your daily driver.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Don’t be persuaded by the price.
Stirling allows for a class A shave right from your own home.

I recommend Barbershop, if you like a sweet rich smell. There are so many others.
Honestly you can’t go wrong.

I would go for a popular scent that you don’t have and see of Stirling becomes your daily driver.

Stirling made me an instant believer, after I had tried my first shave soap from them, a one Stirling Black Cherry to be exact. Then I began doing math in my head, I know scary right! I realized that for 14 dollars, I was getting 5.8 ounces of shave soap, almost 6 ounces! No other shave soap from other brands that I have tried so far, have provided that much soap, for the same cost!

When I went back to their website, I discovered how many variations of shave soap that they actually had. I think its amazing what Stirling is doing just in the scent variations alone! But, when you actually try Stirling shave soap, you realize how high performing it is, and once you have a smooth shave, you know you have a solid product in your shave den, there's no question.

Then I discovered that they didn't just have shave soap, they also have bar soaps, aftershave, witch hazel, and alum blocks. So, they got just about everything I think in that department. We still got to shop at other places for our brushes, bowls, and razors, but thats ok. Oh, and @ShaveWok love the scuttle in your avatar. 😍

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The soap as it is is great. For me the scents are too strong. Were I to buy in again, it would be the unscented.

I personally love the strong scents, but this is always going to be a YMMV situation, as its personal preference. If you go to Stirling's website, on the left side is a search box. Put in "stirling unscented shave soap", this will return a few results for unscented soaps, both in shave soaps, and in their bar soaps as well.

Additionally, because I ran this search on their site just now, I discovered something I hadn't before on their site, they sell their own shave soap jars by themselves! We were having a conversation on B&B not too long ago, about what containers to buy for bare soap sample and the like, little did I know that Stirling sold their own jars barebones, that is pretty neat. Just another reason to love Stirling IMO. 😍

I've ordered samples of Barbershop and Electric Sheep. Excited to find out how they smell and perform. Yes, Stirling does sell little green plastic jars that are sized for either the refill pucks or the sample pucks. If I recall right from previous orders, the label that affixes to the wrapping of the sample puck can be detached and smoothed onto the lid of the green jar, too.

I received my Stirling soaps yesterday!

The Electric Sheep is a strong citrus scent. I shaved with it this morning, a 24-hour beard and my '56 Gillette Red Tip loaded with a new Personna Red blade. ES lathers great and the lemon scent is not really noticeable once you get going.

Barbershop smells a little like Mrs. Benzadmiral No. 2's musk perfume from the '80s. Really. (When it comes to perfumes I know 2 kinds: musk, and everything else.) I'll try it tomorrow morning or evening.

And yes, Stirling still includes a free sample of their products. This time it was a shampoo bar, Almond Creme. It too lathers nicely and my hair behaved itself afterward, so I consider it a win.

Today I used the Barbershop for the first time, a cold water shave with one of my Techs on a 36-hour beard. The soap's scent stayed with me throughout the shave, which was excellent -- slick lather all the way. Barbershop may well become my new favorite!

The shampoo bar they sent me as a freebie, Almond Creme, worked well on my hair Saturday morning too. And not only do they have colognes and aftershaves, they offer Personna Platinum blades in the retro blue-white-silver packet, 10 for $2.25. It might be possible to get those elsewhere for less, but it's remarkably convenient. Remember, too, their shave soap tubs, green plastic ones that will hold a refill puck or a sample puck of whatever you want to try.

Just tossing it out there that Stirling has at least two different bases as well. One is a regular tallow base, and the other is a mutton tallow base that is only available in a small number of scents. There is some debate whether the mutton tallow could be slightly better than the standard. I think both are fantastic, but as I consider their Electric Sheep with the mutton tallow to be one of the jewels of shaving I may give a slight nod to the mutton base.

They also offer 1 oz sample soaps that are ridiculously long-lasting. I easily get 20+ shaves from their samples and usually, it hits 30. For ~$4 it's easy to test out their scents.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Just tossing it out there that Stirling has at least two different bases as well. One is a regular tallow base, and the other is a mutton tallow base that is only available in a small number of scents. There is some debate whether the mutton tallow could be slightly better than the standard. I think both are fantastic, but as I consider their Electric Sheep with the mutton tallow to be one of the jewels of shaving I may give a slight nod to the mutton base.

They also offer 1 oz sample soaps that are ridiculously long-lasting. I easily get 20+ shaves from their samples and usually, it hits 30. For ~$4 it's easy to test out their scents.
For me, there is no debate. The mutton tallow wins by a furlong!

I currently have Stirling Gentleman, Varen, Executive Man, Scotts Pine, and Electric Sheep (Sample). All of them produce excellent lather. I wasn't aware of the Glacial Variety of Electric Sheep but the scent doesn't impress me at all. As for the "not for the faint of heart" description, sorry, it loses to Chiseled Face Cryogen hands down. That stuff makes your eyes water for sure.:c17:

And yes, Stirling still includes a free sample of their products. This time it was a shampoo bar, Almond Creme. It too lathers nicely and my hair behaved itself afterward, so I consider it a win.
That was Saturday. Strange to say, however, the Almond Creme shampoo bar did *not* work well on my hair on Monday and Tuesday. I haven't been using conditioner, as I find my hair winds up better without it; but the AC shampoo bar left my hair feeling kind of gummy, and so I had to put a little conditioner in. This morning, Wednesday, I went back to my usual shampoo, a good Suave product, and my hair again behaved itself without any additions. I think the Almond Creme bar I'll use for washing face and body, and not my hair.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

That was Saturday. Strange to say, however, the Almond Creme shampoo bar did *not* work well on my hair on Monday and Tuesday. I haven't been using conditioner, as I find my hair winds up better without it; but the AC shampoo bar left my hair feeling kind of gummy, and so I had to put a little conditioner in. This morning, Wednesday, I went back to my usual shampoo, a good Suave product, and my hair again behaved itself without any additions. I think the Almond Creme bar I'll use for washing face and body, and not my hair.

I never grew up on using a shampoo bar, in all these years, I've never used a shampoo bar, and I don't intend on starting now. There is nothing wrong with the liquid shampoo that comes in a bottle. I've been using Suave for years, comes with conditioner in it, which is why gone are the days when people had to buy huge bottles of conditioner to do their hair, don't see the point of that, when it comes in the shampoo.

And while I did start out my first years of my life using soap bars for body soap, I did convert to using liquid body soaps for hand washing and body washing over the last half of my life. However, having said that, I don't mind using a body soap bar again, which is why I bought that Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill bath soap, which also doubles as a pre-shave believe it or not, its honestly really great for that!

I never grew up on using a shampoo bar, in all these years, I've never used a shampoo bar, and I don't intend on starting now. There is nothing wrong with the liquid shampoo that comes in a bottle. I've been using Suave for years, comes with conditioner in it, which is why gone are the days when people had to buy huge bottles of conditioner to do their hair, don't see the point of that, when it comes in the shampoo.

And while I did start out my first years of my life using soap bars for body soap, I did convert to using liquid body soaps for hand washing and body washing over the last half of my life. However, having said that, I don't mind using a body soap bar again, which is why I bought that Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill bath soap, which also doubles as a pre-shave believe it or not, its honestly really great for that!
It's quite possible the shampoo bar would make a good pre-shave too. Normally I wash the areas to be shaved on my face and throat with hand soap, Irish Spring usually. But the Almond Creme might work well too.

Top Bottom