What's new

3-4 days of growth...best shave ever?

I shave daily or every other day at the most. 3 passes, WTG, XTG and touch up. Any further out and the feeling of the excess growth is annoying and the appearance (on me IMO) is unbecoming. Of course, there have been times of "exigent circumstances" where I have gone longer than 2 days, but when I was finished there was no difference in the closeness or smoothness.

Just had an amazing shave with my Henson medium (RK blade). It's the first time I've used it with more than a days worth of growth. I was blown away by the closeness/smoothness after three passes.

Anyone else notice a different experience after significant growth?
I am one of the ones who does notice a difference when I let it go a few days vs every day. Skin and beard type plays a factor, everyone's different.

I shave daily or every other day at the most. 3 passes, WTG, XTG and touch up. Any further out and the feeling of the excess growth is annoying and the appearance (on me IMO) is unbecoming. Of course, there have been times of "exigent circumstances" where I have gone longer than 2 days, but when I was finished there was no difference in the closeness or smoothness.
I typically shave every other day (only recently tried ever day), but this was unavoidable...

The new baby sometimes leaves no time for a shower let alone a shave... 🙄

I am one of the ones who does notice a difference when I let it go a few days vs every day. Skin and beard type plays a factor, everyone's different.
Yes; I 've found that 48-60 hours between shaves works the best for me. I've done 72, but so rarely I can't say that it provided a better shave experience than does a 2- to 2.5-day growth. A 24-hour beard is fine too. But there is something terrific about the contrast between a bristly 2-day beard growth and a clean-shaven face.

I normally shave every other day, and the only time I go longer is when I go backpacking, which is for at least 3 days.
And all I know, is that it feels so good to get rid of that stubble! 😌

Last edited:
I shave both my head and neck on different days. I normally wait 72 hours before shaving although I could easily do it in 48-60. It just makes an easy rotation for me

Day 1) Head Shave
Day 2) Neck Shave
Day 3) No shave

Then repeat

For me the skin is more “forgiving” after lets say 4-5 days of growth, but somehow i have the closest and most comfortable shaves when it’s between 2-3 days of growt.

Yes; I 've found that 48-60 hours between shaves works the best for me. I've done 72, but so rarely I can't say that it provided a better shave experience than does a 2- to 2.5-day growth. A 24-hour beard is fine too. But there is something terrific about the contrast between a bristly 2-day beard growth and a clean-shaven face.
Very interesting take, that the shave feels smoother, possibly not because it IS smoother, but because the contrast is greater. Love the theory.

I always get BBS shaves with 2-4 days growth. As other senior shavers (myself included) noted, the beard gets tougher as we get older.

I am theorizing that the longer whiskers are easier to cut.

I'm a daily shaver but due to a knee injury last week, I had 3 days of growth to shave off...

The blackbird struggled to get through the growth on the first pass but after that, it was smooth sailing.

The skin was definitely more forgiving after the 3 days gap and the shave was ultra close! Beyond what I can achieve with my daily shaves.

Yep, the more days in-between shaves, the better for me too! I don’t need an aggressive razor either. Same mild comfy razor with a fresh sharp blade, that’s it.

Yep, the more days in-between shaves, the better for me too! I don’t need an aggressive razor either. Same mild comfy razor with a fresh sharp blade, that’s it.
That's interesting - I was going to see if people opted for a more efficient or aggressive razor for more growth.

After, my experience I don't think I'd need to...

Still, I'd like to give that aggressive Henson a go. 😉

That's interesting - I was going to see if people opted for a more efficient or aggressive razor for more growth.

After, my experience I don't think I'd need to...

Still, I'd like to give that aggressive Henson a go. 😉

Everyone has their own preferences/beliefs, but my super mild and comfy razor goes through 4-5 days of growth easier than my 1-2 days, so there you go.

4 to 6 days growth always feel right when shaving for me. I am however only shaving the neck and beard lines. As long as the skin and hair are hydrated the shaves are fantastic! The only negative is the amount of hair needed to be rinsed off the razor.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Every day for me, I like to whack it while it's short. Easy cut. Longer and it lays down and seems harder to slice and sometimes pulls a bit. Plus you look clean shaved each day.

Seems like so many guys want that "perfect" BBS shave with their expensive efficient razors but then wait around for two or three days looking like a bum with long stubble. Now I don't get that. :huh:

Top Bottom