What's new

Attachment

Currently I attach my strop to a towel hanger in the bathroom nearly identical to this one.
towel hanger.jpg

It's toggle-bolted in drywall through a stud, so it's not going anywhere. I can pull it taut without fear of destroying anything. Thing is, it's about head-high, and when taut it's somewhat vertical. It works fine, but I'd prefer something waist high that when taut would be horizontal.

Does anyone have a novel way they attach their strop? What do you attach it to?

Thanks, all!

Since the studs run the length of the wall, why not just mount another hook lower?

My bathroom is tiny, I hang my strops on the door handle and strop while sitting on the (closed) toilet seat. The strop isn't horizontal but it's closer to that than vertical. Another option is to take a piece of light cordage and loop it over the door hinge, that's about the right height for standing and stropping horizontally.

Since the studs run the length of the wall, why not just mount another hook lower?

My bathroom is tiny, I hang my strops on the door handle and strop while sitting on the (closed) toilet seat. The strop isn't horizontal but it's closer to that than vertical. Another option is to take a piece of light cordage and loop it over the door hinge, that's about the right height for standing and stropping horizontally.
I might just go with this. A hinge is plenty smart. It's not going to get pulled of the casement, and the middle one is near-perfect height. At last count I believe I have +/- 200' of paracord in my garage. Thank you @Darth Scandalous!
View attachment 1446531

I am not posting this for criticism of my stropping. :glare:
I know some guys have found D rings at the hardware store, I need to go find that post...
That's a great idea, too. Unfortunately that shelving type is only to be found in my garage. As I'd guess is common, when I shave I like all accoutrements to be local. Much appreciated. :)

Thanks, Legion. I suppose bathroom treatments vary. I get the feeling if I used my towel rack for my strop my drywall would be damaged when it ripped off. I pull my strop fairly hard, at least hard enough where deflection is kept less than 1" (25mm).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks, Legion. I suppose bathroom treatments vary. I get the feeling if I used my towel rack for my strop my drywall would be damaged when it ripped off. I pull my strop fairly hard, at least hard enough where deflection is kept less than 1" (25mm).
You are stropping with too much blade pressure against the strop. There should be almost no strop deflection (like only a few millimetres) while stropping. This is particularly important for a n00bie who, with excessive deflection, will radius the edge apex.

If you have already put a radius on the edge apex, just continue as you have been going. After you next get/have the edge refreshed, then start stropping properly. That will greatly improve the edge life between refreshes.

You haven't read the instructs yet, have you?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a novel way they attach their strop? What do you attach it to?

Years ago I made hangers with 550 paracord with a closed loop on one end and a secured metal ring that came with my strop on the other. I used to use that on doorknobs, works great.

Since moving, I still use that paracord rig but have it looped over my lower wardrobe bar in my walk in closet that is outside the Master Bathroom and away from moisture. That lower wardrobe bar is about the height of any door knob too. It remains "portable" because I can use doorknobs if I ever travel.

I personally wouldn't attach anything too "permanent" to a wall but others have and they have done a splendid job with their set ups.

Just what I have done, not necessarily the answer. But it works for me.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member

The key is, taught, not tight. Pull the strop until it is flat, then apply light pressure on the razor. You should only be pulling on the stop enough to flatten it.

If you still think it might pull the rail off the drywall, clip it to the end and pull sideways.

But if the rail is strong enough to support one or two wet towels, it should be good for normal stropping.

So perhaps I'm applying too much downwards pressure to the blade.

Without being there when you use your strop, no one here and I mean no one, can tell what you are doing correctly or incorrectly. However, that may be the case here and don't be too tough on yourself about it.

After reading this thread this morning, I went back and watched a video that I have saved from 9 years ago on stropping just to refresh my memory too and I have been doing this a long time. No one is perfect and we are all guilty of a rolled edge, cut strop and several other mistakes in our journeys.

I recommend Lynn Abrams video on stropping on YouTube. It's the one that I reviewed this morning. It reminded me about pressure and I am guilty of not taking my stropping technique serious from time to time. Complacency will kill an edge.

Last edited:
You are stropping with too much blade pressure against the strop. There should be almost no strop deflection (like only a few millimetres) while stropping. This is particularly important for a n00bie who, with excessive deflection, will radius the edge apex.

If you have already put a radius on the edge apex, just continue as you have been going. After you next get/have the edge refreshed, then start stropping properly. That will greatly improve the edge life between refreshes.

You haven't read the instructs yet, have you?
No. I somehow missed it. It's on my list. Thank you, @rbscebu!

I didn’t mention it above, but when I started out with the strop attached to the storage rack I thought I was going to pull it over on top of myself! After the above mentioned video, I used the amount I was moving the rack to gauge whether I was over doing it. If you imagine how little it takes to shake one of these, try using even less! :)

I didn’t mention it above, but when I started out with the strop attached to the storage rack I thought I was going to pull it over on top of myself! After the above mentioned video, I used the amount I was moving the rack to gauge whether I was over doing it. If you imagine how little it takes to shake one of these, try using even less! :)
Yes. I'm getting the notion that "gentle" is good. I have to stop applying knife-sharpening notions to SRs. I'm honing very gently, but stropping--not so much. That changes now.

Yes. I'm getting the notion that "gentle" is good. I have to stop applying knife-sharpening notions to SRs. I'm honing very gently, but stropping--not so much. That changes now.
Definitely watch a few videos as a review, if for no other reason than you can see somebody stropping with it attached to their towel bar. No more than a light clatter from the hardware! Also remember in one of our threads, somebody recommended stropping with just the spine and trying to keep the blade off the strop. Then gently twist it until you hear the sound, feel should only be magnetic and not one of solid contact.

Top Bottom