What's new

The neverending quest for the ultimate shave den

I eventually stopped chasing the ultimate shave den. No matter how much you buy, it always seems to be just one razor and one stone away. It’s a fool’s errand that will never be completed and only serves as a distraction.

These days, I find it more enjoyable to focus on a small, well curated selection and enjoy the shaving experience with familiar equipment.
Agree with Tomo. These things often run their course over time. I’m down to one razor and two brushes. One soap at a time. One tuck of DE blades at a time. Still working down a back stock of soap and blades though I haven’t bought much in many years.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I eventually stopped chasing the ultimate shave den. No matter how much you buy, it always seems to be just one razor and one stone away. It’s a fool’s errand that will never be completed and only serves as a distraction.

These days, I find it more enjoyable to focus on a small, well curated selection and enjoy the shaving experience with familiar equipment.
I did just buy the polished version of my Claymore Evolution.. so matte and polished. Those are my two razors. I also enjoy using the same tools... getting to know them. My bowl will stay constant, even though temptations arise. I rotate a few very nice brushes, only one over $20. And I have a few additional soaps I bought because of B&B recommendations. (Thanks, Tomo and APBinNCA) I'm going to count them in my mind..... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7... ok... 7 soaps/creams. 3 soaps, 4 creams. If I use them "3017", how long will they last? 4 years? Just a guess....

Edit: I forgot one... so a total of 8. Here endeth the soap/cream journey for now.

The equipment selection part of my journey is complete, but the experiment with the available blades for my Claymore Evo is ongoing. I'm enjoying that so far.

Relaxing and peaceful shaves, everyone.

Last edited:
No shave den for me, it would be nice though. The best I can do is a 1950's Gillette (I believe) DE, I really like it, a cheapo shavette and a few Stirling soap samples. I would like to get a more modern DE, a better shavette, an affordable (cheap) SR and custom SR and brush oh and a larger soap collection. But first I need a new brush and I want to add a scuttle/bowl. I have no chance at custom anything, but one can dream, right?

Last edited:
Agree with Tomo. These things often run their course over time. I’m down to one razor and two brushes. One soap at a time. One tuck of DE blades at a time. Still working down a back stock of soap and blades though I haven’t bought much in many years.
I think your right there. Once the initial mania is over things start to settle down. In the beginning you want to try everything there is. After a while you work out what you like and contentment starts to set in.

Being happy with what you’ve got is the real grail. That has a lot less to do with what you have than you first think.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I originally thought my ultimate shave den would contain loads of stuff, now I realise that I want to focus on a small number of things that I enjoy. Though that means I have some soaps and blades to get through

Never thought about the ultimate but my shaving stuff has grown beyond the built-in shelving on each side of the sink. The one on the left has something north of 50 brushes and it tends to grow and get more crowded.

The shelves on the right takes up the same space and cuttently has something like 25 soaps, some in mugs and others in the makers tins. On each side of the sink there is a tray near the depth of the countertop and about 6" wide. The one on the left mostly contains after shave and the one o the right has various razors, mostly cartridges, held up by otherwise empty mugs. This tray also has a half dozen or so tubes of shaving cream. An under counter drawer on the right contains more after shaves and another on the right contains more soaps, mostly of the travel size. Across the bathroom on my wife's side is floor shelving with the top whelve nearly counter height that has another 15 or so mugs with soap.

None of this includes the drawer of back up blades and cartridges, brush making materials (handles and knots), and soap making materials.

I would guess that the ideal shave den is whatever you want it to be and have space for.

You might say I fell deep into this addiction.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Never thought about the ultimate but my shaving stuff has grown beyond the built-in shelving on each side of the sink. The one on the left has something north of 50 brushes and it tends to grow and get more crowded.

The shelves on the right takes up the same space and cuttently has something like 25 soaps, some in mugs and others in the makers tins. On each side of the sink there is a tray near the depth of the countertop and about 6" wide. The one on the left mostly contains after shave and the one o the right has various razors, mostly cartridges, held up by otherwise empty mugs. This tray also has a half dozen or so tubes of shaving cream. An under counter drawer on the right contains more after shaves and another on the right contains more soaps, mostly of the travel size. Across the bathroom on my wife's side is floor shelving with the top whelve nearly counter height that has another 15 or so mugs with soap.

None of this includes the drawer of back up blades and cartridges, brush making materials (handles and knots), and soap making materials.

I would guess that the ideal shave den is whatever you want it to be and have space for.

You might say I fell deep into this addiction.

The sheer amount of soaps that you own, just put such a big smile on my face. When I first began my DE shaving hobby, I just didn't get it. But since then, now, I covet the soaps like free pizza at an Star Trek convention. I still know that I could never buy them all, certainly not! Having said that however, I do want to buy many more then I have now, and I got my eyes set on a few. 25 soaps, just wonderful hehe.

I know a guy on here called @discomike, and he's got over 80 soaps now I think. I am like, my God man, you have the motherload of soaps, your ready for a shaving party, invite everyone, will shave the wife too, the kids, and even the catfish in the aquarium! Were gonna do so much shaving, there will be soap bubbles bursting out of every window and door. Then the garden, lawn, and driveway will be clean too.

😝

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think your right there. Once the initial mania is over things start to settle down. In the beginning you want to try everything there is. After a while you work out what you like and contentment starts to set in.

Being happy with what you’ve got is the real grail. That has a lot less to do with what you have than you first think.
i overdid my soap/cream buy.... I'm ok with everything else, but i feel the need to slow down and enjoy the scenery, i.e., the shaves themselves.

Now the question..... Will I be able to do that if I show up here on a regular basis? I think so.... but time will tell.

I should be fine... as long as I don't get into straight razors...
I didn’t realise that until it was too late!

F40BE726-87CB-4FC2-A843-70CA10F4E7BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Step away from the cheese. Nope, don't do it! You grab that cheese, your life snaps before your eyes. Step away from the cheese, back away. Now thats a good lad. ;)
I think it’s a bit more like this one actually.

It took a while but I eventually found the cheese. It was delicious. I ate my fill but when I looked up I realised that I couldn’t remember the way out.

I’ve been retracing my steps by buying more razors, stones and strops but I still can’t find the exit. 😂

3B413827-FB0B-442E-BC4B-2278B8D381C2.jpeg

Last edited:
LOL. I have my Grandfather's WWI Shumate 3.0. It's in very good condition but would need to be honed, I'm sure. I don't have steady enough hands for SR shaving, I don't think... so I'm safe... but straight razors are soooooooooooo amazingly beautiful. I love looking at all the photos.... inspiring.
There are people around here that can help you with the honing. I joke around but I’m glad that I put in the effort. Straight razors are a lot of fun and deliver a great shave once you get the hang of it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm pretty set.

Wolfman razor.
Polsilver SI blade
SOC boar, badger, or combination
MdC with another soap for days when I just feel like something different.
Thayer's WH w/aloe
Hawkins & Brimble Balm

I do occasionally use a Med Prep or Gillette Platinum blade.
I currently have an additional soap that I didn't like and won't replace, and a tub of Castle Forbes Lavender that we found in a closet (which I do like but won't replace - for reasons beyond understanding).

I've been rotating 3 SOC brushes, but I occasionally use the Kent BK8 or Thater boar. I could live with one brush, but this is one area where that would make me less joyful.

Top Bottom