What's new

Poll: Short vs Long Handle?

Poll: Short vs Long Handle?

• Long handle

Votes: 55 28.8%
  • Short handle

Votes: 136 71.2%

• Total voters
Used RR GC with Titanium Halo, 13 mm x 100 mm, ~1.7 oz (49.3g) weight handle today and it worked great for me and it's my longest handle. Next shave will be something with 85mm and it will work just as well so I guess I'm still too much of a noob to figure this out. At this point everything I use (razors, blades, brushes, soaps, etc.) works really well for me.

Voted long since anything 80mm or less isn't ideal... yes I am looking at you Fatip... 85-90mm is my preference and anything over 100mm gets a little unwieldy. As a note I ride the bar (steep).

It took me a while to realize it but I 100% prefer long handles for my long fingers! I haven't used a handle less than 4 inches in a few years. I can use 3.5 but prefer 4. I've always been curious if this is related to height as well. I'm 6'2". Anyone else find a correlation?

85-90mm is about perfect to me. I like long grippy handles. The Razorock Super Knurl is one of my favorite handles. I know there is a lot better more expensive handles out there. But I just really like it.

So I took a minute trying to understand how wearing a shirt gives a better shave, then finally realized you meant "short" not "shirt". That plus I don't think there is a Razorock vintage style shirt, although it would probably be a good seller for them. LOL
Thank you for voicing my concerns :)

Balance, and non-smooth handle are primary considerations.
Then, medium or long are preferred, I can make do with a short if it is well balanced, and not too light.

Slightly different shaving needs, as in chin, underarm, leg..
-My Super Speed Flare is my shortest/lightest razor, and I don't think I'd want anything shorter/lighter.
Now that I have the option of a Slim or Super Adjustable 109 (still trying out both to see which to stick with), I'll keep the Flare just for shin, and the other for bath/shower.
-I like the Slim, nice weight, handle length is good. I'm curious to compare it to the SA109. (that should be soon, today or tomorrow, I'll do a review for it).
-My 26C Parker is a long handle, I like some weight but it was a tad heavy for my liking. It's main problem was being agressive, but I also like the weigh of the Slim better.

Note: having had them in the past, Fatboy would have been okay as a short, but was way too heavy for me. Gillette Starburst had a nice slim long handle, but besides a mild shave, was way too light for my liking.

Long handle!

Though I've not started DE shaving yet (razor in is transit, then practicing with a taped up blade first), one of the features I am most looking forward to in my transition from disposable razors is the long handle. I've DIYed a temporary longer handle for the disposbles a few times. Those were more stable shaves, and more comfortable on my wrists. Plus, it provided additional guidance for my spatial awareness of the razor in relation to where I'm shaving. That extra grip really made a difference for me.

I find that short handled razors are easy to maneuver & slightly more efficient for me versus longer handles. I don't know why. Maybe the angle I hold the razor is slightly different than I use with my longer handled razors such as the KCG, Lord L6 & SNMIRN Adjustable (Baby Futur).

If I ever shave my head, I can see the value of a long handled safety razor.

My Edwin Jagger Kelvin, Gillette Ball End Tech & Fatip Piccolo are about the same length. These three short handled razors are among my favorite razors that deliver close & comfortable shaves.

I like both. It really depends on the razor which handle length works best for weight, balance, feel, aesthetics.

I find shorter handles tend to give a greater sense of control more often than not, but that isn’t everything. And, on the other hand, I do not like head-heavy razors and I would rather err on the side of baing handle-heavy. Longer handles look more elegant and I like that on certain razors.

So it depends. I didn’t vote.

When using a DE razor a short handle is much easier to maneuver over my chin. But when I use my slanted Trac II, or my pivoting Leaf Razor, s a longer handle is fine.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hey, with 71.5% that chose short, I clearly chose the correct answer, I've just aced the test! 😁

So heres the thing, there are actually 3 different size handles for DE razors. Short, medium, and long. If there was a medium selection, I would have chose it. Short handles are only a couple inches long, not enough room to get a grip of the razor. Long handles are so long that they can interfere with the palm of your hand, making you hold the razor weird, and possible screw up your angle. But medium handles, like that of the Feather AS-D2, and Rex Ambassador, are just right. ;)

Hey, with 71.5% that chose short, I clearly chose the correct answer, I've just aced the test! 😁

So heres the thing, there are actually 3 different size handles for DE razors. Short, medium, and long. If there was a medium selection, I would have chose it. Short handles are only a couple inches long, not enough room to get a grip of the razor. Long handles are so long that they can interfere with the palm of your hand, making you hold the razor weird, and possible screw up your angle. But medium handles, like that of the Feather AS-D2, and Rex Ambassador, are just right. ;)

It's not always about the length of the handle, but also it's thickness, weight and knurling pattern. For instance, the Tech handles (fat and ball end) are about the same lenght as my favorite Maggards MR1 handle, but the Tech handles are a bit too thin, lack weight and their knurling isn't as good and for that reason I rarely use them.

I like using my favorite handle/handles on every razor head, which is why I would never buy a vintage 2 piece razor like the Double/Single Ring, RFB, New Improved or New Deluxe unless I find them really cheap. As good as they are, the fact that I can't change their handles and also, the handles of those vintage models are quite fragile and easy to break and the repairs are not easy is a huge deal breaker for me.

I've not started DE shaving yet (razor in is transit, then practicing with a taped up blade first)
(Anyone else please feel free to jump in here, as I am by no means an expert)

To my way of thinking and experience, shaving with a taped blade as 'practice' might be a bad idea.
Shaving has a lot to do with the way something 'feels', and the feedback you get helps you adjust pressure, angle etc. If you practice with a taped blade, not only are you not getting results that you can adjust for a better shave, but you are throwing off that feedback... what might seem like a comfortable or useful angle with tape, will have no bearing at all on your angle with a blade.

If you are concerned about hurting yourself, again, my opinion, others feel free to jump in, just go slow and easy. The first few tries at shaving, my goal was a beginning to end shave... I just tried the razor out on less tricky parts (being a woman, that was my legs, but not anywhere near knees or shins) to get a feel for it. I finished the rest with my cartridge razor. When I started shaving my chin, not long after I had got into DE, I was super careful slow when I first started to shave. The thing is, you will have times of nicks and weepers as you get used to shaving, but, even people that have shaved DE a long time, have moments of inattention, or a new blade they hadn't used before, or a new razor... its just the way of it. Unless you are being totally reckless, its not like you are going to harm yourself horribly using a blade.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there with more experience to share, all I can say is I was a bit nervous when I started, and going slow and careful worked okay, and it wasn't too long before I started to develop a feel for what I needed to do, a shaper angle of approach, or more obtuse. A heavier or lighter touch, etc. I just can't see how a taped blade will get you far, when the feedback from your own actions are what guide you.

When I built a handle for an OldType, I wanted a little longer handle. It handles well and shaves great!
Old Type New Handle.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like both. It really depends on the razor which handle length works best for weight, balance, feel, aesthetics.

I find shorter handles tend to give a greater sense of control more often than not, but that isn’t everything. And, on the other hand, I do not like head-heavy razors and I would rather err on the side of baing handle-heavy. Longer handles look more elegant and I like that on certain razors.

So it depends. I didn’t vote.
I didn't vote either.. I seem to have settled on 90mm when I have that choice. As you know, I use Timeless Ti Crown handles on many of my razors.... they weigh 42.7 grams. That weight seems to be my sweet spot.. 40 to 45 grams or so. I "can" use a heavier handle, of course.... I can adjust pretty quickly. It looks like my La Faulx handle will be around 60 grams, I think... there is no hollow option like Wolfman. My 3/7 90mm hollow handle weighs.... ok... I'll weigh it officially... hang on: The 3/7 is 41.0 grams and the Darwin is 51.0 grams.. in bronze.

Missed the poll. I like longer handles ftmp but also love travel razors with short extendable handles due to convenience of having a whole kit in a matchbox sized case. For razors that will never leave the house I like a handle long enough for 4 fingers to grasp it comfortably with a little room left over.
IMG_1967.jpeg

I use both long and short handles. My Tatara Nodachi's handle is 4.13" (the longest one I have).
My Greencult 1.1 and ATT Windsor also have long handles at 4". Every other razor I have ranges from 3" to 3.75".
My preferred sizes for daily use are 3.25" to 3.75". But depends on the mood since sometimes I like the longer
handles.

I prefer long handles.

My hands are just familiar with handling long and thick.

At least I tell myself that’s the reason why 😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom