What's new

Replacement for my Rockwell 6C suggestions

Hello members,

I bought my first double edge safety razor (Rockwell 6C) back in September 2021 and since then I felt in love with wet shaving and since has become a therapeutic experience for me especially when I am stressed out with life. I am not sure if other people feel the same but shaving has been an escapism for me and has been such an enjoyable experience so far.

My Rockwell 6C top cap threading have given way after 4 months and I have gotten a replacement top cap from a Rockwell 2C which I foresee not to last longer than 6 months. My shaving experience is no longer enjoyable as in the back of my head subconsciously I am thinking the more I use this razor the faster it's gonna breakdown.

I have recently acquired a Gillette Slim adjustable and I am plan to use the razor occasionally and I am looking for a new double edge safety razor as my daily driver.

I usually shave on plate R4 but I have started to shave with R5 plate and loving it.
I would love to hear some suggestion/advice on which razor I should get?

I have done extensive research and the 2 razor I see that would be great for me is:-

1. Razorock Game Changer - If I go ahead with this razor, I will start with 0.68 plate
2. Karve brass razor - Not sure if I should go with the open comb or closed comb.

PS. I don't think I would want to get Rockwell 6S even tough it is stainless steel as I'm suspicious of their workmanship now.

I would to thank everyone for their patience in helping a fellow newbie out here :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-12-23 at 3.48.51 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-23 at 3.48.51 PM.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 149
First of all... You should not be worried about Rockwell's workmanship. You can get a 6S if you would like a slightly heavier version of your 6C with a slightly less smooth surface. The quality will be excellent.
Second of all... Since you're using plate 4 you are pretty much average. And that's a good thing. Just get any medium razor that you like the design of. As long as it's not something cheap. A new razor should be an upgrade for you.
Shave on, buddy :)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
If you enjoy the benefits of interchangeable plates and want stainless steel coupled with fine workmanship, Above the Tie is an excellent option.

I started with a Rockwell 6C also. i never had any “structural” problems but the gunmetal finish was eroding. The brass Karve was my choice to replace it and I may never buy another razor again. The Karve CB is about the same weight but it fits together more precisely. I find the shave better. The downside is that you don’t have the same adjustability unless you purchase several plates. Obviously the Rockwell includes them.

Good luck in your quest!

I started with a Rockwell 6C also. i never had any “structural” problems but the gunmetal finish was eroding. The brass Karve was my choice to replace it and I may never buy another razor again. The Karve CB is about the same weight but it fits together more precisely. I find the shave better. The downside is that you don’t have the same adjustability unless you purchase several plates. Obviously the Rockwell includes them.

Good luck in your quest!
@Fletchtj Thanks for the insights. Which plate # did you use with your Rockwell 6C and which plate # are you using now with your Karve CB?

With the Rockwell I used plate 3 and 4 depending on the blade and growth. I purchased the Karve with a B plate. I shave every day and have dry skin. This is plenty close enough for my 2 pass shave. I am considering purchase of an A plate for the dry winter we have.

My vote goes to the brass Karve.

According to the plates you chose on the Rockwell you might want to start with plate C safety bar or B open comb as a point of reference. If you want a more mild/ efficient shave: additional plates will cost you less than 25 US...

The quality of this razor is splendid. It will last a hand full of decades if maintained properly.

My vote goes to the brass Karve.

According to the plates you chose on the Rockwell you might want to start with plate C safety bar or B open comb as a point of reference. If you want a more mild/ efficient shave: additional plates will cost you less than 25 US...

The quality of this razor is splendid. It will last a hand full of decades if maintained properly.
@JAHE Thank you as it really helps in my decision on which plate should I start with. What are some of the tricks to maintain a razor properly?

You can get the Game Changer with both heads, just so you know. I did. I paid the price for one and got both heads. I really like this razor with the proper blades in it.

I also love my Henson Medium. I always get a good shave with it.
@Doc Dan that's sweet. How did you get 2 heads for the price of one?

Might want to also consider the Lupo if you're interested in RR razors. You may find it more efficient than the Game Changer.

Other razors to consider (depending on budget) are:
-Yates 921-M (can get other plates to dial in shave)
-ATT Windsor (multiple plate options as well)
-Muhle Rocca
-Henson AL13 or Ti22
-Tatara Masamune (multiple plates/top caps available)

Lots of great options out there depending on what you like and how much you want to spend.

firstly the 6C should last a very long time. You must tighten the handle of your razor too hard during assembly, which causes the screw thread to break. Contact Rockwell for a replacement part. But no matter what brand of razor you make when fitting, just stop tightening as soon as contact is made and your razor will last you for years.

I have owned the Rockwell 6C, Game Changer .68 and .84 in both safety bar and open comb and now own a brass Karve with the G safety bar plate. The Game Changer would be a good choice, and it is somewhat less expensive than the Karve. You have a bit of variability in the aggressiveness if you purchase multiple plates. I found the .84 safety bar less efficient than I wanted and the .84 open comb a bit harsh. But I also used Plate 6 on my Rockwell. So if you are using Plate 4 or 5 on your 6C, the Game Changer .84 could be a great fit.

I have only used the G plate on the Karve, but I would go with @JAHE's recommendation that you start with something milder like the C safety bar. I think that the Game Changer is a great razor for the price, but I think the Karve is an even better razor for what is still a reasonable amount of money.

If you are overtitening it might help add a rubber or other plastic washer. More expensive razors have washers - some shavers use and some don’t. If you don’t use over time a donut like mild scratch can appear.

6C should not have failed so quickly. Something went wrong- put plated pot mental heads will not last as long as other metals. 6S is tank like.

If you get a GC head - you have a top cap and base plate. You can get solid bar, open comb and/or jaws base plates and use the one top cap. GC loads with the blade to the base plate which some find to be awkward. I do. Stainless should be more durable than brass and will not patina. Italian barber (RR distribution) are also sells lots of different handles. They often go on sale - if you watch for the emails. Some have a strong preference for weight, thickness and length. Small hands perhaps 3 inch. Head shaver/body shaver 4 inch - longer reach.

Karve is well made. Brass will patina - you may like this - or need to polish to prevent if you don’t like. Patina will not affect function. Karve handles come in four different lengths.

Henson Al-Medium is the other Canadian that comes to mind. It also comes in mild. Longer handle from what I hear. Some really love it.

Timeless, Carbon Shaving and Above the Tie and occasionally Italian Barber (Razorock) all sell scratch and dent (or returned - not RR on this one) razors and/or parts. Above the Tie has a category of ugly. I am happy to buh from BST or non-perfect looking but functioning perfect.

Other razors that have not been mentioned for
SS entry level: Winner, Merica, EJ 3One6.

I think you are on the right track to be looking at SS with different base plates.

If you are overtitening it might help add a rubber or other plastic washer. More expensive razors have washers - some shavers use and some don’t. If you don’t use over time a donut like mild scratch can appear.

6C should not have failed so quickly. Something went wrong- put plated pot mental heads will not last as long as other metals. 6S is tank like.

If you get a GC head - you have a top cap and base plate. You can get solid bar, open comb and/or jaws base plates and use the one top cap. GC loads with the blade to the base plate which some find to be awkward. I do. Stainless should be more durable than brass and will not patina. Italian barber (RR distribution) are also sells lots of different handles. They often go on sale - if you watch for the emails. Some have a strong preference for weight, thickness and length. Small hands perhaps 3 inch. Head shaver/body shaver 4 inch - longer reach.

Karve is well made. Brass will patina - you may like this - or need to polish to prevent if you don’t like. Patina will not affect function. Karve handles come in four different lengths.

Henson Al-Medium is the other Canadian that comes to mind. It also comes in mild. Longer handle from what I hear. Some really love it.

Timeless, Carbon Shaving and Above the Tie and occasionally Italian Barber (Razorock) all sell scratch and dent (or returned - not RR on this one) razors and/or parts. Above the Tie has a category of ugly. I am happy to buh from BST or non-perfect looking but functioning perfect.

Other razors that have not been mentioned for
SS entry level: Winner, Merica, EJ 3One6.

I think you are on the right track to be looking at SS with different base plates.
RR Lupo loads the blades on the top cap. That is nicer than the GC. Maggard’s also just came out with a SS head made in China.

Happy searching.

Top Bottom