What's new

Synthetic brush to buy if I've never used a shaving brush

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Synthetics are pretty affordable and with sale season upon us it’s hard to suggest the “one” to get. Unfortunately you might need to try a few to determine a favorite type. Soft and floppy. Stiff like my zenith. Close to a badger like the t3 or omega evo. Then there is the rabbit hole 🕳 of handle design. What fits best what works best. So it’s a journey to be sure. In the past feeling overwhelmed by multiple options and loft I’ve relied on @nav and found his advice very helpful. If you are interested in yaqi look for his detailed reviews on B&B. Good luck let us know what you get!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's difficult to purchase a bad synthetic brush today. Since you're naturally unsure of size for your first brush I suggest you start with one of the $12 brushes. They will work fine (lots of people using them every day), and you might be happy there. But you will also get a feel for the size - which is the only way to find out what you like.

I have a handful and the only one I use any more is the EVO for travel, but I wouldn't spend a lot until I had a better idea of size.

T2 was my very first foray into synthetics after using boar and badger for many years.

Couldn't tell you my reasoning behind buying it. I wanted it and somehow I justified the purchase in my head.

Anyway....it took a few shaves to figure out how to best deploy the T2. While many seem to recommend it for painters, I prefer face lathering. I found that applying a bit of pressure so the bristles splay a bit gives me a great lather. The bristles are a bit scratchy, but I it has to stand up to a very tough beard too.

The T2 is really winning me over.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have had a couple of early synthetics and just wasn't happy with them. Over the last couple of years, improvements have absolutely been made.
I recently got a 25mm Muhle STF in a handle from Rudy Vey that is the bomb.
It's the closest synthetic brush I've used that even comes close to comparing to a natural hair brush.
20211120_071217.jpg

Synthetics are pretty affordable and with sale season upon us it’s hard to suggest the “one” to get. Unfortunately you might need to try a few to determine a favorite type. Soft and floppy. Stiff like my zenith. Close to a badger like the t3 or omega evo. Then there is the rabbit hole 🕳 of handle design. What fits best what works best. So it’s a journey to be sure. In the past feeling overwhelmed by multiple options and loft I’ve relied on @nav and found his advice very helpful. If you are interested in yaqi look for his detailed reviews on B&B. Good luck let us know what you get!

Thanks for the shout out!

I still believe Yaqi are #1 when it comes to great quality at a great price!

Not in the premium synthetic space...that belongs to STF, Evo, Simpson Platinum and now possibly G5a (but I haven't used this one).

Get an inexpensive one first.
Kent infinity silvertex has a lifetime warranty. In the UK it's only 10 pounds (15 dollars), but not sure about US prices.
The better, tighter knot Yaqi are good.
Italian barber Plissoft is almost as good as the knot it's based on.

The difference between inexpensive and Simpson etc synths is not so marked as with badger, for example.

Yes 24mm is the default medium size, as it were, for shaving brushes. Some people who face lather like 22mm or smaller as they feel they have more accurate lather distribution and don't like getting soap in their ears or up their nose etc. I personally like 26mm, but 24 a good versatile place to start.

You can adjust the behavior of your brush by setting your knot at different depths. A shorter loft will provide more backbone at the cost of splay and flow through. I recommend 52mm because the G5a is a short lofted brush that already has enormous backbone so anything less than 52mm just provides yet more backbone when the G5a already has more backbone than you'd ever need and 52mm is the longest lofted configuration that the 24mm can support and I (and many others) find it to perform at it's best with the longer loft set. If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks, that's a really good explanation.

Honestly, I'm not as interested in the journey, I'd be perfectly happy getting a great brush that'll last me a few years. But that said, it's starting to make more sense to get a good but cheaper one, so I appreciate all the suggestions in this thread. I can revisit AP Shave Co in a few months (or longer) when I've decided that 24mm is too big or too small, or I need a bigger/smaller handle or loft, or more/less backbone, or splay, or whatever.

Besides, it'll be easier to drop hints that I want a Razorock (or Yaqi, or PAA) shave brush for Christmas than to drop hints that I want a G5a with a 24mm knot, a black handle - yes, you have to add that separately - set at a 55mm loft. 😀

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Besides, it'll be easier to drop hints that I want a Razorock (or Yaqi, or PAA) shave brush for Christmas than to drop hints that I want a G5a with a 24mm knot, a black handle - yes, you have to add that separately - set at a 55mm loft. 😀

If I were fishing for a holiday gift, I would go with a PAA above the Yaqi or Razorock. The stories behind the product, and the on the PAA website will provide a fun purchasing experience for the gift giver. PAA has a great way of marketing their products, and the stories they weave are quite interesting and fun. Some people hate on PAA, but I like them. Also, the PAA handles are quite a bit nicer and cooler than the other two in my opinion. I had a nice shave with my PAA Starcraft today. Used my PAA Green Ray on my last shave. Even though I have a couple of high end custom synths, and a few high end badgers, I still grab my PAA brushes often. I can not say the same about the Razorock and Yaqi brushes. They just sit on the shelf, or get relegated to travel duty these days. They all perform about the same. But the PAA brushes simply have the mojo. (Honestly, you really cant go wrong with any of them.)

You have nothing to compare any brushes to so just buy something from a vendor you like and it'll be great. I like maggards razors. Luckily they are inexpensive so you can buy more to compare. Enjoy.

Would have to agree 100% with @BradWorld! In having multiple synthetics from Razorock, Parker, Westcoast shaving along with an Omega Evo and That Darn Rob. My new PAA Phantom Aerolite isn't just great looking but right under the EVO and almost equal to That Darn Rob!!!
Do you happen to also have the Peregrino? I know the Phantom Aerolite and Peregrino are supposed to be the same knots apart from size and color scheme but I wasn't sure whether or not they were the same density, so I'm trying to find somebody that has both

If I were fishing for a holiday gift, I would go with a PAA above the Yaqi or Razorock. The stories behind the product, and the on the PAA website will provide a fun purchasing experience for the gift giver. PAA has a great way of marketing their products, and the stories they weave are quite interesting and fun. Some people hate on PAA, but I like them. Also, the PAA handles are quite a bit nicer and cooler than the other two in my opinion. I had a nice shave with my PAA Starcraft today. Used my PAA Green Ray on my last shave. Even though I have a couple of high end custom synths, and a few high end badgers, I still grab my PAA brushes often. I can not say the same about the Razorock and Yaqi brushes. They just sit on the shelf, or get relegated to travel duty these days. They all perform about the same. But the PAA brushes simply have the mojo. (Honestly, you really cant go wrong with any of them.)
Agreed...and today they have a new brush, Star Wisp.

Do you happen to also have the Peregrino? I know the Phantom Aerolite and Peregrino are supposed to be the same knots apart from size and color scheme but I wasn't sure whether or not they were the same density, so I'm trying to find somebody that has both
Don't have the Peregrino to compare unfortunately.

I have them both, and to me they feel like the same density.

Top Bottom